API Comp Cam VVT 266

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you estimate the cam, heads, and tune will cost if I were to install it all myself??

Depends where you get the cam and heads. Comp Vvt Cam runs on average $799 and a good ported head $2000. The tuning with this package can only come from Arrington at this point(I don't know what that will run), so if you do it yourself you're saving on labor but don't forget new gaskets and head bolts($300-$500). To be honest, I'm in about $4000(that includes $599 for the Diablosport trinity and bigger valves etc) wi
th Arrington and of course I'm not paying for tuning and discounted labor. The only thing that's required for the build is upgraded valve springs, so you could use stock heads. Build the package over time. You don't have to take the heads off to swap valve springs, it's a pita though, but will save some money up front

The package is now on their web- site. $2999.99

http://www.shophemi.com/p-2580-arri...-hemi-phase-6-heads-and-camshaft-package.aspx

Last edited:

jaredj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not bad. My father and I should be able to do this together over a weekend and save me some money. I am curious to see how the tranny's hold up with all the added power.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Not bad. My father and I should be able to do this together over a weekend and save me some money. I am curious to see how the tranny's hold up with all the added power.

Lol... I think they're gonna want a new valve body at the very least. More likely a better built tranny will be in order.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
not for 400ish hp... a good tranny tune will do the job - id start being concerned at the 450ish mark - especially if driven like its stolen lol

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got done talking with Justin and they are going to try to get it on the dyno this afternoon. I'm not holding my breath, I'm might pass out. From my understanding, everyone is out in the parking lot with the challenger having a turn repaving it with rubber.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, so the end of the day. It's going to have to wait till Monday-Tuesday for any final numbers. From what I am told they have to fix a spot in the street driving, and it's a little rich, so it will get leaned out. Reassuring me that it will be done Wednesday.

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
While you have API's ear can you ask them more about that the tuner they supply in the heads and cam package and if they are able to tune this package with email tunes? Thanks for all the updates and once again great build

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While you have API's ear can you ask them more about that the tuner they supply in the heads and cam package and if they are able to tune this package with email tunes? Thanks for all the updates and once again great build

The "black box" is a tool for calibrating your pcm. It allows Arrington to flash/update your pcm without having to send your pcm to them. You simply download their software from the website onto your computer. hook the Black box up like you would your DS to the computer and the process is basically the same. You can use your DS with the black box for monitoring/datalogging. Email the datalog to them and they can adjust parameters and the Black box gets it into the pcm on a level that isn't available with DS yet.

"Im sure you have heard from your tuner that sometines the adjustment you desire is just not available in CMR... Like the rev limiter back in the day if you remember......Cmr is GREAT, its fast and makes it easy to make quick adjustments and quick datalogging. But the reality is if the adjustments you desire are outside of that tool it makes remote tuning difficult if not impossible."

The black box allows them to make those changes that aren't available with DS.

That's pretty much the extent of my understanding of it. I will pick my truck up the 27th and make sure I got the info down with them. I'm learning it as well. It's a whole new brave tuning world for me.

Last edited:

Lethal Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Monday/ tuesday seem like a lifetime away..LOL

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a post from AJ @ Arrington about the "Black Box" It should answer your questions:

" I wanted to take the opprotunity to answer some questions that have come up today. I first want to say that our Tool was not put in place to compete with a Diablosport Device. We simply needed an easy way to deliver Proven files to customers with no red-tape. The tool is secure, easy to update, and easy to use. We can deliver updates to our customer base individually or across Multiple tools at once if necessary. We are also developing 50 state emissions compliant packages. These packages must by law not have any adjustable functions that can effect the emissions compliance after you install the package. New Packages are comming!!! Heads and cam for your VVT with fully mapped calibrations that are plug and play. No logs back and forth, no drama. The option of Custom packages and tuning is also available for those going outside the box as well. The VVT based engine is the future. Having calibration available with no chains is critical to be able to meet your expectations."

Hope this helps....

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heres some pics of the process...

Attachments

• Hook up for firmware update.jpg
    Hook up for firmware update.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Then download tunes available.jpg
    Then download tunes available.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Tunes wrote to Black box-stock & tune 1.jpg
    Tunes wrote to Black box-stock & tune 1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 30
  • writing tunes to the box.jpg
    writing tunes to the box.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Disconnect from computer and hook to car, it checks for codes 1st, must clear codes to install t.jpg
    Disconnect from computer and hook to car, it checks for codes 1st, must clear codes to install t.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this is the basic operation of the Black Box...

Attachments

• Validates stock tune.jpg
    Validates stock tune.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 32
  • Writing to pcm.jpg
    Writing to pcm.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Tune written to pcm.jpg
    Tune written to pcm.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Done.jpg
    Done.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 31

dusterman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 express reg cab
Engine
To bad there wasnt a way to stick a diesel trans in it with a kit or something. Why do we always have to have week transmissions. Hell even built ones are still crappier then a built chevy trans.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now for a trans that can hold up to the numbers

At this point, I'm just going to buy a reman transmission from mopar and send it to SharaDon and have Denny rebuild it Stage III. Once I get that back, pull the stock and send it to L&M and have them rebuild that one. I still need to find someone to rebuild the transfer case.

OP
OP
Hemi_Express2013

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To bad there wasnt a way to stick a diesel trans in it with a kit or something. Why do we always have to have week transmissions. Hell even built ones are still crappier then a built chevy trans.

When I was at Arrington, Justin was telling me of a guy that did just that on his '12. The diesel transmission was the only tranny that would hold up to the TQ. After going through 2 rebuilds, he got it figured out. I will find out the details while I'm there if any can be given. There would seem to be something very technical with the intergraded TCM/PCM though. It could save me a lot of money. I'm sure for all of us.

Last edited:

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
this thread is gonna hurt my wallet

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Arrington is like 45 minutes away...had no idea

Last edited:

dusterman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 express reg cab
Engine
When I was at Arrington, Justin was telling me of a guy that did just that on his '12. The diesel transmission was the only tranny that would hold up to the TQ. After going through 2 rebuilds, he got it figured out. I will find out the details while I'm there if any can be given. There would seem to be something very technical with the intergraded TCM/PCM though. It could save me a lot of money. I'm sure for all of us.

Heck even switching the 6speed for the 8 speed is a huge upgrade.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca