VVT Cam Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulSwany

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there anything special I should do with the VVT cam gear before assembly? Do I need to strip it down or just give it a good clean and spray it off with brake clean?

OP
OP
PaulSwany

PaulSwany

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just watched a video of a phase limiter installation and it looks like all there's just a big spring in there. Don't wanna mess with that, just wanna make sure I clean it really well.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can't clean it very well, replacement might be in order.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock 5.7 with 6.4l cam and MDS delete
i have heard of/ read where in doing so you will need to have a tuner or it can give you issues. the computer looks for a proper retard and advance of the cam on start up.
you will most likely have to tune that out.

as for cleaning it, if you just removed it then putting it back in shouldn't need a real cleaning depending on how clean your internals are.

OP
OP
PaulSwany

PaulSwany

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i have heard of/ read where in doing so you will need to have a tuner or it can give you issues. the computer looks for a proper retard and advance of the cam on start up.
you will most likely have to tune that out.

as for cleaning it, if you just removed it then putting it back in shouldn't need a real cleaning depending on how clean your internals are.
This engine had a spun rod bearing, so I was worried some shrapnel got in the cam phaser... But it looked pretty good, and I cleaned it very well, so hopefully I won't have any issues with it.