Are locking lug nuts worth it?

are locking lug nuts worth it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Average_gatsby45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel.
I mean you can buy keys over the counter, so are they worth it?

I'm on the fence about buying some

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If the nuts are exposed then I'd probably get a set. If they're like my aftermarket ones then I'd say probably not. My cover has 32 5mm screws that hold the cover on
Those are RBP wheels on my 2500 4x4 e807e619d6e4e1c0314fc2149c613878.jpg

Blue Mule

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends... for peace of mind sure but honestly most of them you can hammer a over size socket and get them off, but it will also slow down a would be thief if they was trying to steal your wheels. If anything I would spend the extra money and get a quality set like Mcgards or Gorillas and buy any extra key! I run them on my Charger (aftermarket wheels) and sits for a good period of time, on my truck I don’t since they’re stock rims and of course heavy as hell and it’s the DD so there isn’t long period of time when it’s just sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You might think they're a good investment when you wake up some morning to find all 4 wheels missing.Been there/done that,lost all 4 Centerlines and T/A radials off my old 68 Z-28 years ago,after that I've put wheel locks on everything I own.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
They have a purpose and will slow down, not deter, but slow down a competent thief.

I’m not a huge fan of custom rims and tires. I’m going to beat the hell out of them and the stickers are just fine.

If you decide to use them, purchase them AFTER the sale for $50 instead of paying $200-500 that the dealer wants.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I also went with Gorilla brand. I wanted black and they had the best warranty on the finish, plus a good reputation otherwise. Unlike so many others, I actually like the factory wheels and they are ridiculously expensive to replace.

Like any other lock, they will not stop a determined thief, but they will usually slow one down and that's all that's needed to send most in search of an easier target.

-K

Edit: If anyone is interested, I have a set of chrome OEM locking lugs that came with my truck, still in the bag, never used.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I put wheel lock lug nuts on after advise from my mechanic buddy. He said that that it will deter someone from using one of my wheels as a spare for their Ram truck that has a flat. He works in a dealership and has seen seen this scenario many times.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got my learning on wheel locks owning a flashy expensive motorbike. Nothing will stop the most determined thief. Hopefully they move on as soon as they determine there is something that will slow them down. If they are that good & want your vehicle, they will have it.

PS- gal i used to work with had a lot of LEO friends & a very expensive customized ultraglide. She was at a police function in the 90s and it was stolen from out front of the bar. Matter of fact, she had the one insurance replaced it with stolen too.

My ex wife's cousin in northen BC had a very nice transam and his & hers harleys parked in his garage. Intentionally in front of the transam to keep them safe, right? Thieves hooked chains & a heavy duty truck up to them and just dragged them over the top of the TA. Harley parts is parts.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

sottis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm like kad above, my factory set is still in the bag. I wonder how many owners have been frustrated by getting them off vs wheels saved. Plus you can get the sockets/keys anywhere. Maybe better than nothing I guess.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on your circumstances. My truck is never parked in a high risk area. My trailers on the other hand are often unattended. I use splined lug nuts on every other stud. Without the spline socket it’s as good as a lock. It’s just to slow them down and hopefully send them elsewhere.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I replaced my rusting generic splines with gorillas a few weeks ago. I like them because the top parts anyway are less likely to rust than the splines which started top down from impact wrench use at the dealer of course...and the way they sit deep in the holes you can't see anything but the tops. Good luck seeing they are locks in the dark or getting a generic sock on them easily

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put Locks on everything that goes round, had enough stolen in my younger years to not ever relive it, I got McGards on mine they were part of my deal and always get a extra key for them.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had one car with locking lug nuts and my Ram has them. I look at it this way, if it slows down or stops the inept criminal from stealing your wheels and tires they have done there job.
But if a very determined or hardened criminal wants your wheels and tires they will do anything to take them including stealing the whole vehicle and dumping it elsewhere.
Unfortunately I have know people who have had cars stripped, t-tops stolen, all windows broken out, sugar in the gas tank, keyed all the way around, parking lot hit and run

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Locking Lugs keep the Honest PPL Honest. Like said above, a crew, not telling how, but a crew with 4 jacks, blocks and some over the counter tools can literally get yer tires off (w/locks) less than 5 minutes. IF U R gonna go locking for protection, get a dang good set, do not rely on OEM, as I know how to get them off easily.,. Heck, dat chit like bumping tumblers (bump locks) info all over You-Tube, just saying...

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
If someone really wants something, they’ll prepare to get it. Locking nuts only hamper the user.

Use a different type of driver on each lug nut so they have to bring a toolbox to get them off.

I can still take a picture as I walk by the first time and have the process mocked up for the steal.

Last edited:

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
When I bought a new ‘15 Sport, they were included. I used them and later kept them and transferred them to a ‘16, then an ‘18 ( all 1500s )
One day at home I was doing a tire rotation when the inside of the key broke. The factory supplied locks are actually made by Mcgard. YOU CAN NOT JUST FIND THESE KEYS EVERYWHERE AS WAS EARLIER STATED!!
Called my dealer., no go. Had to contact McGard. Finally bought a replacement key ( 2 ) and have not used the wheel locks since.
The locks I have, had a hardened ring at the end of the lug. Although I didn’t try, I don’t think that pounding a socket on would work. And it would also really just mess up the locking lug nut that you wouldn’t be able to use it again.
So now I have a bag of 4 locks with 2 keys. I won’t ever use them again. They are a good idea until you have a problem. To each his own!

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took mine off and put the non locking lug nuts back on. I don't care for aftermarket rims and with my luck if they weren't easy to remove they would beat the **** out of my truck if it were to much of a hassle to steal them. Also I've had three flats in the last 3 years and there's nothing worse than dealing with locking lugnuts when yer broke down side the road in 3 foot tall grass............

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
When I bought a new ‘15 Sport, they were included. I used them and later kept them and transferred them to a ‘16, then an ‘18 ( all 1500s )
One day at home I was doing a tire rotation when the inside of the key broke. The factory supplied locks are actually made by Mcgard. YOU CAN NOT JUST FIND THESE KEYS EVERYWHERE AS WAS EARLIER STATED!!
Called my dealer., no go. Had to contact McGard. Finally bought a replacement key ( 2 ) and have not used the wheel locks since.
The locks I have, had a hardened ring at the end of the lug. Although I didn’t try, I don’t think that pounding a socket on would work. And it would also really just mess up the locking lug nut that you wouldn’t be able to use it again.
So now I have a bag of 4 locks with 2 keys. I won’t ever use them again. They are a good idea until you have a problem. To each his own!

This is correct. When I bought my 14 Sport used it had the factory wheel locks but no key. I checked with the dealers in the area, they had no keys and said the way they removed them was to weld a nut on and spin them off. The only source of keys was the McGard website.

I tried to remove them by driving a socket on the lug and there was not enough bite as it couldn't compress the hardened ring so it just spun.

I was able to get them off finally by cutting the ring with a die grinder and then driving a socket on to spin them off.

Because we travel a fair bit, I put on another set of the McGard Mopar locks to slow down any theft attempts. I also ordered 2 spare keys for the new ones.