Are the USB ports REALLY "fast charging"??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LGBrandon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
I have a brand new (2wks old) 2022 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel, and I just finally tried the USB ports on the front center console, or media hub to charge my phone... My phone never shows "fast charging" when I connect it to either the USB A or C ports, even though I've been told they ARE fast charging ports. I've used the oem cable that came with my phone and is capable of "super fast charging", but best I can get is just "charging". Sometimes it cuts in and out. I've checked the charging on AMPERE, and it's not getting the numbers needed to be fast charging. But my real question is.. Is this an issue or is this correct? Is it really designed to be fast charging (in which case mine is faulty), or is it only designed to be low speed USB charging (in which case mine is actually working fine)... Does anyone else ever get "fast charging". From those ports?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I don't get fast charging on my phone when connected to them ... I "think" if you connect to the 12v it does fast charging ...

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
even though I've been told they ARE fast charging ports

Does anyone else ever get "fast charging". From those ports?

Who told you the USB ports are "fast charging"? There is no mention of the ports offering fast charging in the owners' manual, the manual refers to them as "standard". I wish they were fast charging but they are not.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the USB ports were fast charging, they would most likely be designated by a QC3 or PD.
a typical USB port is good for about 1 amp.

OP
OP
L

LGBrandon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Who told you the USB ports are "fast charging"? There is no mention of the ports offering fast charging in the owners' manual, the manual refers to them as "standard". I wish they were fast charging but they are not.
Screenshot_20220821-133719_Chrome.jpg

Johnny_B-Good

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Two quick questions. Is the supply port USB C? And is your phone setup for fast and super fast charging (wireless charging also if that applies). I was yanking my hair out by the fistfuls because my S21 Ultra wouldn't super fast charge. Stupid me, never went in to settings and set it up to do so. Food for thought... Good luck with this...

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
They are not fast charging, but you can plug a fast charger into the outlet. I had the dealer install a wireless charging pad and I am not impressed. It is more of a trickle charger than anything else.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Two quick questions. Is the supply port USB C? And is your phone setup for fast and super fast charging (wireless charging also if that applies). I was yanking my hair out by the fistfuls because my S21 Ultra wouldn't super fast charge. Stupid me, never went in to settings and set it up to do so. Food for thought... Good luck with this...
My S21 Ultra is set up for fast charging and the display shows it is fast charging when connected to a fast charger. When I connect the phone to the truck's USB C, I do not get a fast charge notice.

I guess RAM needs to tell us what their definition of "ultra-fast USB charging" is because it is NOT a 25-watt charger..

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a techie or have a solid answer. Seems there is an easy explanation...

From above pic...

The media center features easy-to access auxiliary ports, up to four ultra fast USB charging ports and up to three 115-volt...

May need to look at the window sticker or better yet the, I think it is called, Build Sheet, that lists EVERYTHING built into the Ram.

As PacoforTacos indicated... ultra fast charging ports may be an option, NOT be included in your Ram build.

My estimate, "...up to..", includes zero. Zero fast charging ports.

Sorta like reading the manual. IF INSTALLED... as it addresses multiple types of seats, manuual, power... Or any other option.

Ram manuals, like most if not all vehicle manuals, are a "one size fits all Rams". <<< Total PIA.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Their use of "ultra-fast", which really does't mean anything since that is not a specification kind of leave it open for interpretation. They never claimed it meets the fast charging spec, they could have called them super duper fast as well and it wouldn't mean a thing.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
May need to look at the window sticker or better yet the, I think it is called, Build Sheet, that lists EVERYTHING built into the Ram.

As PacoforTacos indicated... ultra fast charging ports may be an option, NOT be included in your Ram build.
I have a 2022 Longhorn Level 1 option, pretty much everything including a wireless phone charger. I never saw an option for a "real" phone fast charger which is typically a 20 or 25-watt USB-C port.

I searched my build sheet for USB and this is all that I found;
Media Hub-2 USB, Full Funct, Aux
Remote USB Port
Media Hub-2 USBs (both Charge-Only)
Remote USB Port - Charge Only
USB Host Flip

Perhaps @RamCares could chime in and give us the "ultra-fast USB charging" definition claim the brochure makes.

SwitcherLP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

On a related note, the advertisements for the HK upgraded audio system state it is 19 speakers...and it is actually 12...

Not a techie or have a solid answer. Seems there is an easy explanation...

From above pic...

The media center features easy-to access auxiliary ports, up to four ultra fast USB charging ports and up to three 115-volt...

My estimate, "...up to..", includes zero. Zero fast charging ports.

Sorta like reading the manual. IF INSTALLED... as it addresses multiple types of seats, manuual, power... Or any other option.

Ram manuals, like most if not all vehicle manuals, are a "one size fits all Rams". <<< Total PIA.

The RAM app has a section that has a VERY long list of vehicle specific options and features, just a few clicks away also. I was pleasantly surprised to find this as I was poking around.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a brand new (2wks old) 2022 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel, and I just finally tried the USB ports on the front center console, or media hub to charge my phone... My phone never shows "fast charging" when I connect it to either the USB A or C ports, even though I've been told they ARE fast charging ports. I've used the oem cable that came with my phone and is capable of "super fast charging", but best I can get is just "charging". Sometimes it cuts in and out. I've checked the charging on AMPERE, and it's not getting the numbers needed to be fast charging. But my real question is.. Is this an issue or is this correct? Is it really designed to be fast charging (in which case mine is faulty), or is it only designed to be low speed USB charging (in which case mine is actually working fine)... Does anyone else ever get "fast charging". From those ports?

Hi LGBrandon,

Feel welcome to send us your VIN and we'd be happy to check into our internal resources for you.

Steph
Ram Cares

leatheryFLman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I got a 2023 bighorn a week ago.
Charging my phone is near stagnant. I have 2 usb A and 2 usb C on the dash, and another usb A in the center console. NONE of them are fast charging. Takes about 10mins per 1% battery

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Charging my phone is near stagnant. I have 2 usb A and 2 usb C on the dash, and another usb A in the center console. NONE of them are fast charging.
If you want fast charging in the truck buy a charger that plugs into a +12V power point that supports QC3 or PD

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you want fast charging in the truck buy a charger that plugs into a +12V power point that supports QC3 or PD
That is what I did, a dual port device (Anker), one port is 20 watts, and the other port 25 watts. I would rather RAM equip their trucks with additional 12-volt power points than USB whatever ports. This way I have the option to choose what I need for my devices which will likely have evolving requirements during my ownership of the truck.

In my opinion, the USB ports RAM provided are for the most part worthless for my needs just as the wireless RAMCharger, it's slower than a lazy man on his way to work, and my S21 Ultra will not fit in unless I remove it from its phone case. Not well thought out.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is what I did, a dual port device (Anker), one port is 20 watts, and the other port 25 watts. I would rather RAM equip their trucks with additional 12-volt power points than USB whatever ports. This way I have the option to choose what I need for my devices which will likely have evolving requirements during my ownership of the truck.

In my opinion, the USB ports RAM provided are for the most part worthless for my needs just as the wireless RAMCharger, it's slower than a lazy man on his way to work, and my S21 Ultra will not fit in unless I remove it from its phone case. Not well thought out.

Hope RamCares sees your, spot on post.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Wireless charging, in general, is slow. Since it's inductance charging it can't be fast or it would generate too much heat.

It would be nice if Ram offered an upfit kit for wireless android auto / car play. I've tried some aftermarket ones with mixed results.