Are your preference of gears a deal breaker for you?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baoluo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 1500 Laramie with about 115,000 miles. Thinking about trading before my mileage takes off. Either trade now or just drive it until it dies. Anyway, I have found 2 different 2021 1500's with under 20,000 miles. They both have the features that I want in my next truck. However, both are 3.21 gears. I had hoped my next truck would be 3.92. My current 1500 has 3.21's. I tow a light rv (about 3500 lbs). I usually tow pretty often. I'm in NC but want to take the rv out west. Plus I had thought about going to 35's tires. These are the reasons for wanting 3.92's although no current issues with my 3.21.
All that to say, is your gear of choice a must (dealbreaker) when you purchase or not a necessity.
Sorry for long post. Trade/keep - gears choice - any comments I welcome. Thanks - Paul

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 1500 Laramie with about 115,000 miles. Thinking about trading before my mileage takes off. Either trade now or just drive it until it dies. Anyway, I have found 2 different 2021 1500's with under 20,000 miles. They both have the features that I want in my next truck. However, both are 3.21 gears. I had hoped my next truck would be 3.92. My current 1500 has 3.21's. I tow a light rv (about 3500 lbs). I usually tow pretty often. I'm in NC but want to take the rv out west. Plus I had thought about going to 35's tires. These are the reasons for wanting 3.92's although no current issues with my 3.21.
All that to say, is your gear of choice a must (dealbreaker) when you purchase or not a necessity.
Sorry for long post. Trade/keep - gears choice - any comments I welcome. Thanks - Paul
WELL if the "new" trucks are supreme, you could take the plunge and pay the $$$ to get the 321's changed to 3:92

ADDED: If I was doing a lot of towing, the 3:92's would be the preference but 3:21 not a deal breaker as you are towing light, not a monstrous amount of weight. When I do tow, it is a Stock Trailer with hay, a lil over 7,000 lbs at 12 mpg on MY 19.

OP
OP
Baoluo

Baoluo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you insist on 35's and towing, the lower gears will help. Sounds like you've decided already.
Thanks for your reply. 35's are not necessarily vital. But I did forget to mention that 1 of the trucks I am looking at has 35's already on the truck with the 3.21's. So I worry some about that.

OP
OP
Baoluo

Baoluo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WELL if the "new" trucks are supreme, you could take the plunge and pay the $$$ to get the 321's changed to 3:92

ADDED: If I was doing a lot of towing, the 3:92's would be the preference but 3:21 not a deal breaker as you are towing light, not a monstrous amount of weight. When I do tow, it is a Stock Trailer with hay, a lil over 7,000 lbs at 12 mpg on MY 19.
Thanks so much for the reply. My current Ram with 3.21's has been towing my rv without a problem but I live on flatland locally. Changing the gears is a thought. thanks

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my truck my travel trailer played a big part in deciding what truck to buy. I went with the truck that I have now because of the gears. I told the salesman if it didn't have a 3.92 rear I didn't want to look at it. It narrowed down my choices fast.

I found 4 on their website with what I wanted but they could only find 2 of the 4 on the lot. I guess the others were sold. The next day I went back to the dealer to finish up some paperwork and I see a Mojave Sand Warlock with a 3.92 rear. They never told me about that truck. It was sharp looking but I'm happy with mine with no regrets.

OP
OP
Baoluo

Baoluo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my truck my travel trailer played a big part in deciding what truck to buy. I went with the truck that I have now because of the gears. I told the salesman if it didn't have a 3.92 rear I didn't want to look at it. It narrowed down my choices fast.

I found 4 on their website with what I wanted but they could only find 2 of the 4 on the lot. I guess the others were sold. The next day I went back to the dealer to finish up some paperwork and I see a Mojave Sand Warlock with a 3.92 rear. They never told me about that truck. It was sharp looking but I'm happy with mine with no regrets.
Nice looking truck. you did good!

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The used car/truck market is running at historically high values right now.
Why pay high values for used? You might be able to find a new Ram with the equipment you need.
Until midnight Monday, you can get an interest free loan for 72 months on a new Ram. With your trade, you can get new with 3.92's. That's my 2 cents.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm happy with my 3.21. I tow a lot too usually around 5000-7000lb and the 8spd does a wonderful job. It's nice having the best possible mpg when unloaded. I'm running tires slightly bigger than stock as well. LT275/65/20

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
It wasn't a factor for me with my 2500, but I wasn't towing overly heavy with it either (6k lbs). The 3.73s do a fine job for me and really no notable difference between them and the 4.10s I would have preferred.

In your case the difference between 3.21s and 3.92s is a big step up. Personally I would not buy a lifted truck with big tires on it like that for towing, many ressons.

If your going to spend all that money, (I'm sure those 21s are not cheap these days) as suggested, I'd go new and get the 3.92 geared truck, optioned as you want it (just remember the fancy stuff adds weight and reduces your payload max limit) and wind up with a full factory warranty in the proccess.

Your 17 doesn't have a lot of miles on it either. I'm lucky, my 17 is not my DD and she presently has about 16,900 miles on it and its always garaged so I plan on keeping it for awhile. What I'm getting at is this market now is stupid expensive = no deals really so I personally have zero desire to buy a vehicle right now. I'm hoping by 2024 or 2025 things will get better but we'll see. Hopefully this is not the new normal. This is just my .02

Good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
Baoluo

Baoluo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The used car/truck market is running at historically high values right now.
Why pay high values for used? You might be able to find a new Ram with the equipment you need.
Until midnight Monday, you can get an interest free loan for 72 months on a new Ram. With your trade, you can get new with 3.92's. That's my 2 cents.
You make an excellent point about buying new.

OP
OP
Baoluo

Baoluo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to all for your replies. I really like my current Ram. If I'm truthful I really am just concerned that if I don't sale or trade now then later it won't be a good option due to the fact that I have 115,000 miles on the truck. It seems like it's either sale or trade now and buy new truck with warranty or just drive it until the wheels come off and deal with any maintenance costs that come up. I'll probably just keep my current truck. I still welcome any thoughts you have.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check this video out. A little something to chew on. It only came out 3 days ago so it's very current.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Check this video out. A little something to chew on. It only came out 3 days ago so it's very current.

He's not wrong, but inflation is putting pressure the other way. New car prices are going up faster, and unless the supply chain issues resolve themselves that's not going to change. What deep sub-prime people buy isn't going to affect the upstream market nearly as much, either. High demand vehicles aren't dropping like what he's talking about as far as I can see. Turn over on new cars is still very quick. I really thought we'd be seeing prices drop by now as well, and maybe they are in the 10 year old Hyundai market, but I'm not seeing it in low mileage higher end trucks and SUVs, nor sports cars.

Willie Mosher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 gas
Sorry I have really hard buy truck
W 3.21, for tow anything over 1500 lbs, Axle job got to be $2000 by
Now for 2 wheel drive,
West cost your going needs minimum
Of 3.55. An like 3.92

As for me I can tow at - 280 feet (death Valley) am few hour late be at
10,000 ( back side Yosemite)

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He's not wrong, but inflation is putting pressure the other way. New car prices are going up faster, and unless the supply chain issues resolve themselves that's not going to change. What deep sub-prime people buy isn't going to affect the upstream market nearly as much, either. High demand vehicles aren't dropping like what he's talking about as far as I can see. Turn over on new cars is still very quick. I really thought we'd be seeing prices drop by now as well, and maybe they are in the 10 year old Hyundai market, but I'm not seeing it in low mileage higher end trucks and SUVs, nor sports cars.
It's a tough time to get a car. My wife is getting the itch. She's finally realizing what I said at the beginning when she got her Journey Crossroad. She asked me if I liked it and I said it's nice, fully loaded but underpowered because it has a 4 cyl. She said I would say that because I have a Hemi. She loves the Journey but now she's wanting something a little more. A Durango with a V-6 is probably in our future. It'll only be a people mover. We don't need another Hemi. But I'm going to wait at least a few months (after November) to see how this whole thing pans out and what direction everything goes.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
It's a tough time to get a car. My wife is getting the itch. She's finally realizing what I said at the beginning when she got her Journey Crossroad. She asked me if I liked it and I said it's nice, fully loaded but underpowered because it has a 4 cyl. She said I would say that because I have a Hemi. She loves the Journey but now she's wanting something a little more. A Durango with a V-6 is probably in our future. It'll only be a people mover. We don't need another Hemi. But I'm going to wait at least a few months (after November) to see how this whole thing pans out and what direction everything goes.

Take your chances, roll the dice. Prices will either go up, go down, or stay the same. :D If you're not a cash buyer, consider interest rates into the equation. I can still get 2.5% for 60-84 months at a local credit union, but they expect it to bounce up soon. Everyone else seems to be 4%-ish on new, at least.