Audio cuts in and out 2016 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have searched on here and Google and found lots of discussion with people having similar problems but none of them posted what the actual cause was or a way to fix it. I know there used to be a few guys on here that were pretty tech/audio savvy so hoping to figure this out.
Ok so my aunt in law has a 2016 3500 Laramie CTD 4X4 that has all the factory bells and whistles, she bought it new just for towing her horses around and it's got less than 30k on it, very well maintained. Anyway out of the blue about 2 months ago her radio started cutting in and out, like fully cutting out but without hitting a bump or anything then coming back on and so on. Truck is 100% stock, zero modifications whatsoever. It does it in every mode whether its AM or FM radio, satellite radio, bluetooth streaming, everything. She finally made a appointment with dodge for them to check it out, I figured loose connection or needed a software update or something. So of course on her way to the appointment for the first time in months it worked like it should lol and ram could not get it to do anything and said everything is how it should be. Then of course later that day it started doing it again and hasn't stopped.
SO, I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows what the actual cause of this is and if there is a way to fix it without just replacing the head unit. Seems to be a fairly common problem but no solutions I could find outside of replacing the unit which seems real crappy since its basically brand new and I'm sure not very cheap to replace.
Off topic, ram acted like they were doing her a big favor by waiving the $60 diagnostic fee this one time lol friggin stealerships man.
Anyone have any answers or knowledge on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have searched on here and Google and found lots of discussion with people having similar problems but none of them posted what the actual cause was or a way to fix it. I know there used to be a few guys on here that were pretty tech/audio savvy so hoping to figure this out.
Ok so my aunt in law has a 2016 3500 Laramie CTD 4X4 that has all the factory bells and whistles, she bought it new just for towing her horses around and it's got less than 30k on it, very well maintained. Anyway out of the blue about 2 months ago her radio started cutting in and out, like fully cutting out but without hitting a bump or anything then coming back on and so on. Truck is 100% stock, zero modifications whatsoever. It does it in every mode whether its AM or FM radio, satellite radio, bluetooth streaming, everything. She finally made a appointment with dodge for them to check it out, I figured loose connection or needed a software update or something. So of course on her way to the appointment for the first time in months it worked like it should lol and ram could not get it to do anything and said everything is how it should be. Then of course later that day it started doing it again and hasn't stopped.
SO, I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows what the actual cause of this is and if there is a way to fix it without just replacing the head unit. Seems to be a fairly common problem but no solutions I could find outside of replacing the unit which seems real crappy since its basically brand new and I'm sure not very cheap to replace.
Off topic, ram acted like they were doing her a big favor by waiving the $60 diagnostic fee this one time lol friggin stealerships man.
Anyone have any answers or knowledge on this?

There could be an entire list if things causing a loss of audio from the speakers. The ideal situation would be to keep a log of what the truck was doing when the loss of audio occured. This could potentially assist a technician when trying to diagnose the concern.

On the other hand, if a dealership waves a diagnostic fee so a customer does not have to pay anything then the dealership is doing her a favor. Since she didn't have to pay the diag fee that means the tech looked at her truck for free unless the dealership decided to cover it and pay the tech. If a vehicle comes in to my shop that is not covered by any warranty then the customer has to pay for any diagnostics.

You would be surprised at the amount of vehicles I have worked on over my 22+ years in the dealership where the customer complained about being charged for diagnostics and then the dealership waived the fee only to not pay me or my fellow techs. It's a sh*try game. When I go to work I am there to make a living and I don't get paid when someone gets something for free.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We will agree to disagree, but thanks for the info I appreciate it [emoji482]

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About making a log, its constant all the time. Start the truck and turn the radio on and its cutting in and out whether your listing to am or fm or satellite or using your phone or whatever, in park, driving, reversing whatever it's always doing it. Which makes it more odd that it temporarily fixed itself for the appointment lol but such is life.