Audio Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dealcp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi all, I just bought a 2018 Ram 1500. I definitely want to change out the head unit with an aftermarket one. After looking through the forums, I am more confused than before. I do not have steering wheel controls. My rearview camera is in the mirror. What all wiring harnesses to I need to buy? I am going to install a Sony XAV-AX 1000 in the truck. Thanks

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Id go to the 8.4 stock Ram radio, todays aftermarket radios are really, and I mean really hard to find. If you do, some may be outdated. But the OEM Ram 8.4, you can get the NAV, backup camera, and do pretty darn good audio off it later if needbe.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi all, I just bought a 2018 Ram 1500. I definitely want to change out the head unit with an aftermarket one. After looking through the forums, I am more confused than before. I do not have steering wheel controls. My rearview camera is in the mirror. What all wiring harnesses to I need to buy? I am going to install a Sony XAV-AX 1000 in the truck. Thanks
I recommend adding steering wheel controls, I did and makes a world of difference. For my 2018 2500 the kit part number was RAMAUDWHLKIT. Send a private message to Benny at allmoparparts to verify for your vehicle. I also upgraded to a UAS radio, see the thread on upgrading for more information. I use mine with my phone via a cable and it allows me to use the maps by radio touchscreen and got a cable from M2Mods and I also see backup camera in both mirror and radio now. If you want to go aftermarket one suggestion is look at crutchfield. They will help you online set up a system, one thing you will need is a maestro cable. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

dealcp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Thanks for the replies. I already have the head unit. I installed it in my old truck les than a year ago so I would rather not pay for another one. I basically only use it for Waze and Podcasts. I was just hoping it would be a couple an adapter plate and a wiring harness. I am not sure if I need the box for Idatalink since I am not connecting to anything.

Dragonsteel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same Sony head unit in my 2015 Ram. I used a Crutchfield wiring harness adapter and bought inexpensive back up cam and put it in the back bumper next to the the license plate. I used a relay that is triggered by the reverse light to power the camera which is wired to the head unit.