Auto High Beam issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep12Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, Hoping I can get some help here. My father just bought a 2020 1500 Limited. It seems that the auto high beam feature is not working. The headlight switch is in the auto position and the auto high beam function is switched on in Uconnect. However, when you push the stalk forward to turn them on there is no message letting you know they are active, and they will not automatically dim when there is a car coming the other way. Obviously it is new and under warranty so he is going to take it in. I just wanted to double check here and make sure we were doing everything right before going that route. Any input is appreciated!

Thorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
If auto high beams is selected in Uconnect and the stalk is forward then the auto high should work. On my 2018 I get a message on the dash when pushing the stalk forward and the high beams revert to low beam when vehicle speed is about 10mph or slower.

also make sure there is nothing blocking the sensor on the back side of the rear view mirror, like a sticker or muddy windshield. If the sensor can’t see headlights, it can’t work

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, Hoping I can get some help here. My father just bought a 2020 1500 Limited. It seems that the auto high beam feature is not working. The headlight switch is in the auto position and the auto high beam function is switched on in Uconnect. However, when you push the stalk forward to turn them on there is no message letting you know they are active, and they will not automatically dim when there is a car coming the other way. Obviously it is new and under warranty so he is going to take it in. I just wanted to double check here and make sure we were doing everything right before going that route. Any input is appreciated!

I have a 4th gen but when you push the stalk forward there should be a message saying enabled but only when the headlights come on. If the headlights are not on (not dark enough out) you wont see the message.

It sounds like the headlights were actually on and you DIDNT see the message....I would just go right to the dealer for it, I dont know of much troubleshooting that can be done for the system.

eithkrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just picked up my 2020 Limited and am having the same issue. Auto high beam is on and push the lever forward turning on high beams, yet no message or auto showing like it did on my 2015 LImited. Let me know what you find out.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had to have my limited calibrated twice before it worked right. No one wants to stay after hours and actually wait for it to get dark. But with Daylight savings time I had more luck

eithkrp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to have my limited calibrated twice before it worked right. No one wants to stay after hours and actually wait for it to get dark. But with Daylight savings time I had more luck
Yeah, mine don't work at all. GM at the dealer looked at it and was going to check with FCA.

Russell Hague

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My new Limited auto dim high beams aren’t working. I just dropped off at the dealer. Quick diagnosis was that one of the cameras had some kind of a malfunction message. Tech will check out tomorrow. Also seems like my headlamps are on all the time in auto mode. Not sure if related. Seems like my truck thinks it’s dark all the time!

Reverse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My auto high beams and lane keeping didn't work on day one. Day two of ownership brought it into the dealer, and they replaced the camera that's in the blob behind the rearview mirror. Works fine now.

BTW, I would get an error message every now and then that alerted me to the features not working. There was also an icon lit (right next to the word menu on the left side of the dash next to the tach and also lower right, looks like collision avoidance icon):

mw035zjg71eAXRnq74ZI_pHarGG5CUtLciN4Xv_nbjsDOXSmDv080SXsBWR9CAZxl-ElHdNt9c3EK2h2M4G_g5iKlX2bmmrYmkV5oMDfHARU3f6-65YI3WUs5HOG1LfW4tU1b9MAsZGsOrtN_lIfSgtEUIKQcCWciJ0OU0OGv41GMzc0XVX5-aaruk1rMRlhF9-g5wTP2j86SsWghptaSnXtr9PIxeNpv8E8lzzDhtMM2KDvq5fll23I_y2riusaijpPTd1oku52NG6fuQ-ePGFnciCeSokAdPEq2p5-Y8_CFEgEYkIKMPe7C9SfrGWM3RkD1A5EMHBQvxSCfAmEJcl0DjR7UphYRMmCaGD7GbNIT-9UsS85XEyLkwAxQFUEgYFWdMInsq7uuALnOG-x-PaD92cMvwKw3td0uGxsjbqrcVLJNCp8R0qfa57WJy6XqaWCXXYvZkH-MdZSCz91ycLO0Wl7XNsNf4EOVOBrFEPyYiKCJS1cU-D73yq7eWfdLrM1dyTQaicFtnGrATIjVd0XyrSFAFcOl7UvpXLt3ZeikTGM6W6QinwPCPx8pJGSiAUjxqtRroa2dnQKRHlJ6vdjDCDyGUFtud9UfUwlSd9NpQK6Ahw3JHAjqB50sMbewBt_mLB7BsphtHiIjRdIdC18Cty73eQNnbFmfCgjeu_a07akLTvp7cNP=w2732-h1536-no

dc73pdsgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L e-torque
Make sure in Uconnect that the headlight is activated and the display for the headlights is red. I found that I was thinking red meant it was off but on the uconnect system the red means it’s on, same for the mirror dimmer...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

They can actually calibrate it?

I’d sure like to get mine recalibrated now that I have brighter lights installed. My auto highbeams work but since my brights are so bright, the reflection off road signs and delineator markers turns my brights on and off all the time. lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My new Limited auto dim high beams aren’t working. I just dropped off at the dealer. Quick diagnosis was that one of the cameras had some kind of a malfunction message. Tech will check out tomorrow. Also seems like my headlamps are on all the time in auto mode. Not sure if related. Seems like my truck thinks it’s dark all the time!
Hi Russell, Glad to hear you are working with your dealer for this concern. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.
Rob
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My auto high beams and lane keeping didn't work on day one. Day two of ownership brought it into the dealer, and they replaced the camera that's in the blob behind the rearview mirror. Works fine now.

BTW, I would get an error message every now and then that alerted me to the features not working. There was also an icon lit (right next to the word menu on the left side of the dash next to the tach and also lower right, looks like collision avoidance icon):
Hi Reverse, I am sorry to hear that you have these concerns with your RAM. If you end up addressing this with your local RAM dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Rob
RamCares

Russell Hague

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer performed Data Reconfiguration Restore per STAR Case #S1808000203. Works like it is supposed to now!

Udaloy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Russell, Glad to hear you are working with your dealer for this concern. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.
Rob
RamCares
That's interesting. My dealer told me there's nothing they can do to help. My sensor seems to be pointed to the left. When going along a wide sweeping curve to the left, it works great. When driving straight, it doesn't dim until the car opposite is damn near on me. Should I call Dodge direct?

psubnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure in Uconnect that the headlight is activated and the display for the headlights is red. I found that I was thinking red meant it was off but on the uconnect system the red means it’s on, same for the mirror dimmer...
What do you mean the head light symbol is red?