Axl assembly replacement _ 4 WD noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradleyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 diesel 6.7l I-6
I am looking at acquiring a 2022 RAm Laramie 2500 with the I-6 diesel- 24,000 miles. Found one but it had issues with "noise" when in 4WD with previous owner. It was taken back by dealer, Axl Assembly was replaced and now back on sale. Title is tainted now, but dealer will buy it back at FMV no matter when I sell it, as part of deal. Of course, FMV is not defined for a tainted title vehicle! It also has a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty on axl assembly, bumper to bumper is still 14 months or 12,000 miles and drive train is 39 months and 36000. The truck was $87K new and I can get it for $60K.

The truck is exactly what I want but am very leary of the issue encountered previously and the fix- ie if one axl issue, will there be more, or just a bad axl in this one. Also, was this just a patch vs actual fix of issue? Any input from those in the know on how concerned I should be with this??

Last edited:

JoshsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Personally, I wouldn't touch it for half of that $60k. It already has a known problem that RAM bought it back from the original owner which means they "couldn't" or "wouldn't" be able to fix it after multiple attempts while the original owner had it. I would walk away and never give it a second thought.

OP
OP
B

bradleyk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 diesel 6.7l I-6
Thanks Josh- did seem odd that if it was an axl assembly- they did not just fix it under warranty and move on.