Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back camera issue

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by zeddy, May 19, 2020.

1. zeddy

zeddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    When I put my truck in reverse, camera was good, all of a sudden it got all distorted. See pic below.

While driving, I’d turn my camera on and it would get worse and worse. Then all of a sudden, it’s good again.

This last few weeks, I hauled a scoop of gravel, a lot of dust/dirt when unloading. This weekend, remodeling my bathroom, hauled the trash to the dump. Again a lot of dirt/ debris. Could dust get into the connectors? The screen is good. While it was distorted, the check surrounding warning was clear as day, seems like just the video feed was bad.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Also, my bumper to bumper warranty ended two months ago. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    Pull the connection at the tailgate apart and make sure it's clean. Reconnect and make sure the connection is tight

SitKneelBend and tidefan1967 like this.
  3. zeddy

zeddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    i tried to pull the connector off but wouldn’t budge. I couldn’t figure out how because I couldn’t figure out if the two white strips were tabs or not. Didn’t want to break it.

4. bebop86

bebop86 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I had the same problem-I read that if you open and slam the tailgate shut it may fix it- I slammed it shut and yes it fixed the problem- worth a try- if not disconnect the battery negative cable for 30 seconds and reconnect-

5. RamCares

RamCares Senior Member

Ram Year:
    n/a
    Engine:
    n/a

Hi, I'm sorry to see this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
    RamCares

6. zeddy

zeddy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    thanks, but last time I had an issue, my truck was at the dealer for total of three weeks. They said “we think we found it” but Issue was never fixed. I actually fixed it myself in my driveway at 10 at night. Took me five minutes. Doubt they even touched the truck but still billed you guys.

plus my 36/36,000 warranty is up.

7. rojo_143

rojo_143 Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2018 1500 QC Sport 4x4. Maximum Steel Met.
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    Mine has done this from time to time ever since I had the dealership perform the recall for the tailgate opening. The most recent time it happened I was in my driveway and when I threw it is reverse my back-up camera looked exactly like yours, but when I back out of my driveway and hit the lip of my driveway to the street it when back to the normal image. I assume that I either have a loose connection or some corrosion on the inside of the connector. Luckily I am still covered under my 3/36,000 warranty so I just made an appointment to get it looked at. If I wasn't I would be opening up the tailgate and inspecting the connectors to the camera itself and also the wire going into the tailgate from the bed to make sure nothing was pinched or chaffed.

8. NETim

NETim Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L
  9. RamCares

RamCares Senior Member

Ram Year:
    n/a
    Engine:
    n/a
    Okay! Please let me know if you change your mind.

Alison
    RamCares

10. RamCares

RamCares Senior Member

Ram Year:
    n/a
    Engine:
    n/a
    Was your dealer able to address this for you? Let us know via private message if you need any additional assistance!

Lydia
    RamCares