Backfired through intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all - need guidance/thoughts:

I have a 2017 Laramie Limited with a 5.7 Hemi V-8 (unmodified except as noted below).

I was driving to work the other day, doing about 60 MPH. I have a Pedal Commander installed, and typically keep it in Sport mode (no +/- added).

I was off the gas, about 50 miles into my 60 mile daily one way commute.

I heard what sounded like gunfire - being that I work on a military base and come in through the back where the ranges are, this isn't unexpected or unknown to me, but I wasn't on that part of the base.

Anyway, when I accelerated, the popping noise went away. When I took my foot off the gas, it started again, and got worse. In about a 1/4 mile it went from barely noticeable, to very loud. I switched my pedal commander to "factory" mode, and it went away.

I have since put it back into Sport mode, and had no issue at all.

My questions are:

1) Is this caused by the Pedal Commander (seems to be)?

2) Has anyone else experienced this (with or without a PC?)?

3) Is there any risk of serious damage to my engine if this happens again?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

V/R

Black-Wolf

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport

I have a 2017 Laramie Limited with a 5.7 Hemi V-8 (unmodified except as noted below).

I was driving to work the other day, doing about 60 MPH. I have a Pedal Commander installed, and typically keep it in Sport mode (no +/- added).

I heard what sounded like gunfire - being that I work on a military base and come in through the back where the ranges are, this isn't unexpected or unknown to me, but I wasn't on that part of the base.

Anyway, when I accelerated, the popping noise went away. When I took my foot off the gas, it started again, and got worse. In about a 1/4 mile it went from barely noticeable, to very loud. I switched my pedal commander to "factory" mode, and it went away.

My questions are:

V/R

Black-Wolf

Intake backfire can blow a hole in the plenum. Plastic plenum yes, not sure about the metal ones.

Couldnt tell you if the PC is the cause or not. I do know that it could be caused by an imbalance in the air/fuel system like vac leak, injector leak, sticky intake valve etc

OP
OP
Black-Wolf

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Intake backfire can blow a hole in the plenum. Plastic plenum yes, not sure about the metal ones.

Couldnt tell you if the PC is the cause or not. I do know that it could be caused by an imbalance in the air/fuel system like vac leak, injector leak, sticky intake valve etc

If a hole is blown into the plenum, how would I know? Rough idle/Failure to start, or something else? (Not experiencing any issues with anything right now, so I'm assuming it was a stuck valve...)

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Pretty much symptoms of a vacuum leak. A ton of unmetered air coming in throwing off idle, a loud hissing noise, stalling etc.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

My questions are:

V/R

Black-Wolf

A backfire can't happen in a traditional way because fuel is not being injected at the throttle body. For a backfire to occur a cylinder or cylinders would need to be open in reverse. Basically the intake valves are opening when the exhaust valves should.

Now if you had a wet nitrous kit that would make sense.

Now for the problem I have zero idea what would replicate a similar cause like that for you.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
All a PC does is change the input percentage of the gas pedal. I doubt it could cause a backfire, that's usually a timing problem.
Changing PC settings while in motion can throw a CEL and may cause other issues but not altering timing.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Hmm well besides "nitrous", there are plenty of reasons for intake backfiring

Stuck EGR making a cylinder hot could ignite prematurely sending it out the intake valve

Failing crankshaft position sensor sending bad data to the ECM causing it to come out of proper timing

Valve issues like worn springs, carbon build up etc. Though this one would come with more issues

Neglect of maintenance

Id figure this one out asap. I said earlier it could pop the plenum but it will also damage anything else within the intake system like throttle body plate, blast out gaskets, damage sensors etc

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Stuck EGR making a cylinder hot could ignite prematurely sending it out the intake valve

2009 and up Ram 1500 5.7 hemi does not have an EGR valve.

OP
OP
Black-Wolf

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much symptoms of a vacuum leak. A ton of unmetered air coming in throwing off idle, a loud hissing noise, stalling etc.

A backfire can't happen in a traditional way because fuel is not being injected at the throttle body. For a backfire to occur a cylinder or cylinders would need to be open in reverse. Basically the intake valves are opening when the exhaust valves should.

Now if you had a wet nitrous kit that would make sense.

Now for the problem I have zero idea what would replicate a similar cause like that for you.

All a PC does is change the input percentage of the gas pedal. I doubt it could cause a backfire, that's usually a timing problem.
Changing PC settings while in motion can throw a CEL and may cause other issues but not altering timing.

Failing crankshaft position sensor sending bad data to the ECM causing it to come out of proper timing

Valve issues like worn springs, carbon build up etc. Though this one would come with more issues

Neglect of maintenance

Id figure this one out asap. I said earlier it could pop the plenum but it will also damage anything else within the intake system like throttle body plate, blast out gaskets, damage sensors etc

Ok all: Thanks for the input. I'm assuming that if something did happen with some or most of the symptoms described above, I'd get a check engine light. I haven't had any issues since - it only happened that one day - and I haven't had any repeat episodes. As for changing the PC while driving, I never change it during acceleration or while there is any input at the gas pedal - only while coasting - and haven't had any issues with it throwing a CEL code. As I understand it, since the PC sits between the gas pedal and main harness to the engine, doing it while coasting is about like changing it while at a stop - no input/output is going/coming to/from the gas pedal. I'll have my dealer look at it later this month when I take it in for my inspection.

Not running nitrous - just straight stock other than the PC. Based on what I do know about engines, I'm thinking maybe a stuck EGR at this point.

As for maintenance, my dealer gave me free maintenance for 2+ years, and hasn't charged me once yet, so I've been taking it in regular as clockwork - other wise, I do most of my own - and I'm pretty religious about doing it when it is due - esp. oil and fluids. Had to much history with what happens when you don't, so I guess even I can learn something from time to time! Vehicles are too expensive to risk their functioning on failed maintenance.

Thanks again. If anyone thinks of anything else, please let me know.

V/R

Black-Wolf

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Ok all: Thanks for the input. I'm assuming that if something did happen with some or most of the symptoms described above, I'd get a check engine light. I haven't had any issues since - it only happened that one day - and I haven't had any repeat episodes. As for changing the PC while driving, I never change it during acceleration or while there is any input at the gas pedal - only while coasting - and haven't had any issues with it throwing a CEL code. As I understand it, since the PC sits between the gas pedal and main harness to the engine, doing it while coasting is about like changing it while at a stop - no input/output is going/coming to/from the gas pedal. I'll have my dealer look at it later this month when I take it in for my inspection.

Not running nitrous - just straight stock other than the PC. Based on what I do know about engines, I'm thinking maybe a stuck EGR at this point.

As for maintenance, my dealer gave me free maintenance for 2+ years, and hasn't charged me once yet, so I've been taking it in regular as clockwork - other wise, I do most of my own - and I'm pretty religious about doing it when it is due - esp. oil and fluids. Had to much history with what happens when you don't, so I guess even I can learn something from time to time! Vehicles are too expensive to risk their functioning on failed maintenance.

Thanks again. If anyone thinks of anything else, please let me know.

V/R

Black-Wolf

I'll repeat it for you. If you have the 5.7 engine you be chasing that EGR location for an eternity. Why?? Because the ram 1500 5.7 in a 2017 model does not have one.

If the perceived backfire occurred it occurred in your exhaust system, not your intake system. Reason why you have no CEL or misaligned timing of the truck.

I used nitrous kits as example of how a backfire occurs in an intake manifold. You guys read it as "Well I don't have a nitrous kit so that can't be it." In doing so you miss the messages of trouble shooting your problem.

Good luck :favorites13:

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I'll repeat it for you. If you have the 5.7 engine you be chasing that EGR location for an eternity. Why?? Because the ram 1500 5.7 in a 2017 model does not have one.

If the perceived backfire occurred it occurred in your exhaust system, not your intake system. Reason why you have no CEL or misaligned timing of the truck.

I used nitrous kits as example of how a backfire occurs in an intake manifold. You guys read it as "Well I don't have a nitrous kit so that can't be it." In doing so you miss the messages of trouble shooting your problem.

Good luck :favorites13:

You know, i wondered that while i wrote it. Even spent a min on google but came up short. So i looked up my alldatadiy for my '12 and i have one so i figured i would throw it in there just in case

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You know, i wondered that while i wrote it. Even spent a min on google but came up short. So i looked up my alldatadiy for my '12 and i have one so i figured i would throw it in there just in case

You don't have an EGR valve on your 12 either. The VVT 5.7 motors don't have an EGR valve.Red pretty well explained it,so listen to him,lol

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
You don't have an EGR valve on your 12 either. The VVT 5.7 motors don't have an EGR valve.Red pretty well explained it,so listen to him,lol

Well either hes wrong or alldata is. Not being sarcastic just getting conflicting information. Guess i could just run out and check the area its saying its located

Screenshot_20210112-163439_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Alldata is wrong,that's for the earlier non-VVT trucks.Try and find that canister on your 12,lol
You're more than welcome to try and replace the EGR. Let me know how it goes on that 2017 :headbang:

Alright alright i believe you guys lol i went out and looked in the pooring ass rain because i couldnt believe alldata steered me wrong. Its definitely a first

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Alright alright i believe you guys lol i went out and looked in the pooring ass rain because i couldnt believe alldata steered me wrong. Its definitely a first

Wasn't meaning for you to go out in the rain to look for it,it could of waited for a sunny day,lol