Backup Cameras

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BinaryData

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys,

As some of you know, I've got a lot of projects going on for my truck, but recently I've been trying to teach my mom how to drive with a trailer. That includes hooking it up, replacing chains (still need to do this), and things to check for. One thing she asked me about was a backup camera for hooking up a trailer, and I was a bit lost for words. I never thought about this, and thought it'd be a great idea for her.

Can anyone suggest a good backup camera or something that's trust worthy? This will be used by a 55+ year old lady who has bad knees, and joints. The less physical work she has to do, the better.

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did mine on the cheap with this camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2ZD7OS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a 7" LCD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BECUNCC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the included drill bit and put mine in the factory location. I wanted to install mine for safety around my kids, but its been a huge help hooking up to trailers. I picked up a log splitter for a buddy this weekend and the guy at the rental shop thought he did a really good job backing me in until I burst his bubble.

Since the monitor allows two inputs I've been meaning to put a forward facing camera in so I could see the ground in front of me where the hood creates a huge blindspot.

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did mine on the cheap with this camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2ZD7OS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a 7" LCD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BECUNCC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the included drill bit and put mine in the factory location. I wanted to install mine for safety around my kids, but its been a huge help hooking up to trailers. I picked up a log splitter for a buddy this weekend and the guy at the rental shop thought he did a really good job backing me in until I burst his bubble.

Since the monitor allows two inputs I've been meaning to put a forward facing camera in so I could see the ground in front of me where the hood creates a huge blindspot.
Wow, that is on the cheap. Any issues? Can you get some photos of the quality?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wilmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased my truck used and it had an aftermarket radio and backup camera that is mounted in the top of the license plate frame.

The view point for hooking up to the hitch is pretty good.

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
B

BinaryData

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm trying to deck this truck out as much as I can for my mom. Anything to make her hobby better.

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Guys,

As some of you know, I've got a lot of projects going on for my truck, but recently I've been trying to teach my mom how to drive with a trailer. That includes hooking it up, replacing chains (still need to do this), and things to check for. One thing she asked me about was a backup camera for hooking up a trailer, and I was a bit lost for words. I never thought about this, and thought it'd be a great idea for her.

Can anyone suggest a good backup camera or something that's trust worthy? This will be used by a 55+ year old lady who has bad knees, and joints. The less physical work she has to do, the better.

I went with this one for my Uconnect 5.0 extremely happy with it...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRUX-RVCCH-75D-Rear-view-Vim-Integration-With-Handle-Camera-For-Dodge-Ram/352632500817?epid=1040410618&hash=item521a88f251:g:pcAAAOSwVKhcoozC

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Garmin has a package with their 760 model that includes a wireless backup camera (does need 12v DC power which can be obtained by taping into the license plate light.

With my truck the camera is in bezel around the latch handle and this is perfect to look down on the ball and see where it is in relation to the trailer receiver. There are third party tailgate mounted cameras that would allow you to put the camera in this location.

IdaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A backup camera is on my short list of mods to. Marked this thread for future reference.

Billa9b0ng:

Does that camera location allow you to see the ball when hitching up a trailer?

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A backup camera is on my short list of mods to. Marked this thread for future reference.

Billa9b0ng:

The OEM camera has a better view of pretty much the entire the rear bumper than what's in Billa9b0ng pics. I have no issues putting the ball under the hitch with OEM back up cam.
If you have the 8.4 (or even the 5" UConnect) consider putting the OEM camera kit in, no extra monitor to deal with.

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am thinking about going with this backup camera Crux system on my ‘14 Sport. People seem to like it in reviews and the only negative I’ve seen is that the image quality isn’t great. How have you found Image quality?

i am extremely happy with it..... was well worth the money and i would definitely do it all over again...

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Billa9b0ng:

this video is what sold me on the crux unit , fast forward to 22:19 for trailer hook up