Bad Bilstein or bad install??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LCG308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6vvt
Hey all,

After much reading on here I decided to throw 5100's on all four corners of my Warlock. Had Action Truck do the install and set the front up to 2.8". Driving yesterday she suddenly started making a nasty clunk with every bump on the road. Spring roads are bad, but not THAT bad in Manitoba. Pulled over and crawled under couldn't see anything out of the ordinary so we got her home.

Fast forward to today and we notice that the front end now squeaks with every. single. bump. Today I actually looked at the top of the strut and noticed this little gem on the passenger side.
IMG_20220504_195437.jpg
I'm not super familiar with suspension work so if someone could provide some insight it would be appreciated. Is this something I can go after Action for or is this a warranty thing?

Cheers

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Yeah, that's not right at all....holy crap! You might want to have your truck towed to where ever it was done and have them warranty that....

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Is that the strut nut? If so, the washer is in the wrong place…it’s supposed to be under the strut hat.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How long ago did you have them installed? To me it doesn’t even look like a new strut with all the grime on the threads and the nut looks old. I’m no expert myself but something isn’t right.

OP
OP
LCG308

LCG308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6vvt
How long ago did you have them installed? To me it doesn’t even look like a new strut with all the grime on the threads and the nut looks old. I’m no expert myself but something isn’t right.
Third week of March. Something felt off soi finally tightened the top mount bolts to spec with the warmer weather. All three took about a quarter turn to hit 45ft/lbs. That helped with the light clunking then this happened

Last edited:
OP
OP
LCG308

LCG308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6vvt
Bad install. Washers we're placed under the lock nut on top of the shock mount instead of under. Good times

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely whoever did that install at Action truck apparently doesn't know how to read or follow installation instructions for the products they sell.
It's definitely a warranty claim on there incompetence.
If it were me I would have a trusted shop you know inspect your truck for damages due to Action trucks incompetence. Plus have them make a list of the damages and possible missing or damaged parts.
Plus take pictures of all damages before allowing Action trucks to correct there incompetent installation.
If Action truck refuses to correct there incompetence, have your "trusted shop" correct the installation and replace missing or damaged parts. Then summit
the bill (with pictures attached) to Action truck for reimbursement of there incompetence.

RAM_CHAOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
WOW - that just wrong all over

It’s crazy but it definitely looks like they forgot to install something back in. I had to watch this video link below to remember, because what you have looks way wrong. It’s like they forgot the bottom seat under the top hat and thus your shock stroke is way to high. Obviously they didn’t tighten that bolt down either.

I’d have to see more pics but I know you definitely have a claim. That strut should not look like that all.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Bad install. Washers we're placed under the lock nut on top of the shock mount instead of under. Good times
Apparently they can't read instructions....

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was improperly installed. The washer/spacer goes under the strut mounting plate (top hat). Without the washer in the correct position the shaft will push through the mounting plate hole and what you have there is exactly that. They need to replace the mounting plate at a minimum and correct their mistake. You may need a new strut if the polished shaft is scored from rubbing against the metal of the mounting plate. It’s on the install shop to fix it.