Bad lifter To end a bad summer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gapi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
They want no part of it do they? Someone needs to get a news channel investigative reporter to go after this kind of crap.

gapi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
They want no part of it do they? Someone needs to get a news channel investigative reporter to go after this kind of crap.

Josh keller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to me like they wont address it anyways, so the warranty point in moot. I'd rather prevent future issues. It also helps that my other vehicle requires 5w20 oil, and I just keep the receipts for that in my ram owners manual. I HIGHLY doubt they will request an Oil analysis. I also bought an extended warranty that allows you to take it to any certified mechanic, not just a FCA dealer

Yeah, but deviate from manufacturers recommendations, and see how quickly your warranty gets invalidated.

I think it has more to do with design, pressure, and volume than it does fuel economy. If they need to squeak better economy out of it, I think there are a lot more places to look than advising thin oil. They know if they start advising oil that's too thin, they could have a **** storm on their hands with early failures.

Last edited:

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems to me like they wont address it anyways, so the warranty point in moot. I'd rather prevent future issues. It also helps that my other vehicle requires 5w20 oil, and I just keep the receipts for that in my ram owners manual. I HIGHLY doubt they will request an Oil analysis. I also bought an extended warranty that allows you to take it to any certified mechanic, not just a FCA dealer

Good point. I'm wondering, if one purchases an extended warranty that is a top tier level, could this be a repair that's covered?

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point. I'm wondering, if one purchases an extended warranty that is a top tier level, could this be a repair that's covered?

For what one pays for an extended warranty, yes, it should, provided all the dang caveats and conditions are followed to a T!

TXCOMT

stylite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmei 5.7
Exactly!

I picked my truck up yesterday after they had it for 6 days saying "Unable to duplicate". I then asked to speak to the Service Manager who tried to tell me the noise was normal and proceeded to grab 3 sets of keys and told me to come with him out on the lot. He starts the first truck, no clatter. He then starts the 2nd truck, smooth no noise. He then starts a 3rd truck! Again smooth no lifter rattle. I look at him and said if mine sounded like these 3 trucks I wouldn't be here. All of the truck he started were 5th Gens. I wonder if these have better lifters than the Classics or 4th gens?

He then told me they repair 10 Hemi engines a week for lifter,cam failures! That would be about 500 engines a year at one dealer! And they have to use aftermarket lifters because of the national backorder.

So when I get in my truck to drive off and start it, the lifters rattle. Here's a video from today that I took after getting it back from the dealer yesterday.
How could they not duplicate this?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTjiDtIIIZQ

I have a Charger with the same Hemi tick. @ under 30K miles the lifters seized, scorched the cam and a build back was done by dealer. Fast fwd to 71K miles and it's happening again. A rep from Mopar told me they get about 2 vehicles nationwide EVERY WEEK that have defective cams, and the extended warranty (Mopar Vehicle Protection plan) authorizes brand new engines. This was not info he was comfortable providing, but saw my file and felt sympathy for me.

When I spoke to my FCA case manager this week she said that there are no known lifter issues with the Hemi and that I shouldn't believe what Mopar warranty reps say because it's "unauthorized information". She also said that the number of cases nationwide pertaining to lifter fails on Hemi engines was "proprietary" and could not be disclosed. My vehicle (2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD) has been in & out of the dealership for over 2 years now and the lifter issue misdiagnosed, undiagnosed, and unrepaired.

Supposedly a STAR case was opened, but nobody has provided me with the number. Can you give me your mechanic's info? I want to investigate this further.

stylite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmei 5.7
I just got back from picking my truck up. They said everything sounded normal and my lifters do make noise but not an excessive amount or for a prolonged period of time. I talked to a tech that listened to the truck when they started it this morning and showed him the video I took. He said it definitely did not sound like that when they started it and offered to keep it longer or I could bring it back if it becomes more consistent.

What was their determination???