Bad News

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
So I went in to get an alignment and they drove it around to but it on the lift but I looked out the window and they didn't. Then one guy comes in and tells me to come look at something. So they have the drivers side front tire jacked up and telling me to look at what they see. The guy was moving the tire and the other guy was pointing out everything wrong with it. It was the upper and lower ball joint on the drivers side, a pitman arm, a track bar, and a lower ball joint on the passenger side. Then he said "basically you need a whole new front end and thats gonna cost any where from 1k to 2k." So, it took me by surprise because I was just going in to get an 80 dollar alignment and then he tells me I need to fix a bunch of things thats gonna cost 2k lol. So, my question is what should I do? A part of me wants the shop to do it so I don't have to deal with the headache but another part of me doesn't wanna pay 2k and do it myself but I really don't know what Im doing. What would be the better route?

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
another part of me doesn't wanna pay 2k and do it myself but I really don't know what Im doing. What would be the better route?

You sort of answered the question yourself. Assuming they're correct, and not trying to get over on you, it seems the best route is to have it done. Not knowing what your doing when it comes to a front end rebuild isn't a good mix. Try another shop for a second opinion...

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
+1 for a second opinion for sure. Go to a trusted front end shop if you can.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would def get a second opinion. Download the FSM, follow them and you can diagnose yourself.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
I think I'm gonna have a family friend do it for me. Now, I don't think I need everything replaced. Ive narrowed it down to upper and lower ball joints, pitman arm, and a track bar. Or I just found a complete front end rebuild kit on ebay. All the parts appear to be of good quality. I was originally going to order everything off rock auto but the kit on ebay looks pretty good. Which one should I do? This is the kit on ebay: Repair Kit Set Suspension Steering RAM 1500 2500 4WD Arm Ends Linkages New | eBay

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Like everyone that responded said, before you do anything get a second opinion, please.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Rock Auto has some great prices on replacement parts for the front end. I need to do mine too, sucks! Hope you get it figured out

Grad12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 3.6
I would also +1 the second opinion. I've been ripped off a few times before until I realized my best way to avoid that is leanr about vehicles, parts and do some research.

Honestly though, research these parts and then go to your second garage so you have an idea of what their talking about. They tend to over do it on the man hours if they smell a sucker. "Oh those brakes were seized up pretty bad, it took us three hours for the back end alone". Yeah, don't let this happen to you.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The kit in my last post didn't fit my truck so this should be the right one. What do you guys think? Does it look pretty decent? Dodge RAM 1500 4WD Front Suspension Steering Kit Tie Rod Ends Ball Joints K7401 | eBay

I put one of these kits on my truck last year. Since I barely put any miles on my truck anymore, it may be alright. But, if I had to do it again, I would get all my parts off Rock Auto. Just something about the way the parts felt while installing them. You could tell they were a cheap imitation. I'm the worst when it comes to trying to save a dime, but this is one area I wish I'd gone with quality over cost. I'll find out this spring when the truck needs an inspection again if they're holding up at all. Hopefully they'll last long enough for me to trade it in. Not a job I want to do again anytime soon.

EDIT: Oh, and I had to drill and install zerk fittings on most of the ends. Ball joints came with fittings, tie-rod ends did not. At least I can grease them all now.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Here are some pictures just to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with. It not very good looking. I didn't snap any pictures of the ball joints because you couldn't really tell just from a picture. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0251.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMAG0256.jpg
    IMAG0256.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0249.jpg
    IMAG0249.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 34

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The ball joints don't look torn up to me. That's weird. Track bar ball looks buggered and so do the tie rods though.

OP
OP
bassslayer25

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Yeah it was weird cause when I wiggled the tire the ball joints seemed fine but when the shop did it they moved a little. Idk whats up lol

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You're supposed to put a pry bar to it to check for play in ball joints.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That must have been quite the shock, going in for an aligned and having so any front end issues. Is your Ram levelled, curious your other quotes will come in at.