Battery Maintainers setting off Alarm!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have an '05 w/Cummins and dual battery system so I put a battery maintainer on each battery. Now every few hours with them plugged in and doing their thing, the alarm goes off. I had 2 maintainers in my coach wired the same way, but it didn't have an alarm system (not like this old Dodge, anyway). Any ideas? Or do I just live with it until the neighbors complain? FWIW-the last time it went 11 hours before going off. It resets easily enough with the remote, but what a hassle. Thanks in advance, Smokey

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a hood closed sensor that might be bouncing of you are keeping the hood cracked? I have two Dodges that run maintainers and have not set off an alarm from them.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have an '05 w/Cummins and dual battery system so I put a battery maintainer on each battery. Now every few hours with them plugged in and doing their thing, the alarm goes off. I had 2 maintainers in my coach wired the same way, but it didn't have an alarm system (not like this old Dodge, anyway). Any ideas? Or do I just live with it until the neighbors complain? FWIW-the last time it went 11 hours before going off. It resets easily enough with the remote, but what a hassle. Thanks in advance, Smokey
Are the two batteries wired in parallel with each other when you connect both maintainers? If so and you use one battery maintainer, will the alarm trigger?

I don't think it is advisable to connect a battery maintainer to each battery in a parallel battery setup. One maintainer can maintain both batteries in a parallel setup because, to the maintainer, it looks like one battery. I don't know what two maintainers will do when both are trying to maintain what it sees as a single battery.

I use a single battery maintainer (4 amp Battery Tender) on my 2015 Cummins, it has no issues keeping the batteries maintained. The trolling motor batteries in my boat are wired in series (24-volt trolling motor), there I have two maintainers, and each maintainer is wired to a battery.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my 95 Cummins with two batteries I only used one battery tender and never had an issue. What BossHott said in the previous post.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would also suggest that one of those battery maintainers may have an intermittent fault that is triggering the alarm.

You may want to keep that in mind when you disable one of them. If the alarm continues with only one charger, swap that with the other one you removed.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Also please dont use any battery tenders made by harbor freight! Run your connection externally, and your hood aarm isnt a factor.

Attachments

• 20221209_130505.jpg
    20221209_130505.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 17

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also please dont use any battery tenders made by harbor freight! Run your connection externally, and your hood aarm isnt a factor.

Are there any specific battery tenders that you have concerns about?

AFAIK, Harbour Freight is a distributor and does not manufacture anything.

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Do you have a hood closed sensor that might be bouncing of you are keeping the hood cracked? I have two Dodges that run maintainers and have not set off an alarm from them.
Have a hood sensor, but hood is closed. Thanks

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Are the two batteries wired in parallel with each other when you connect both maintainers? If so and you use one battery maintainer, will the alarm trigger?

I don't think it is advisable to connect a battery maintainer to each battery in a parallel battery setup. One maintainer can maintain both batteries in a parallel setup because, to the maintainer, it looks like one battery. I don't know what two maintainers will do when both are trying to maintain what it sees as a single battery.

I use a single battery maintainer (4 amp Battery Tender) on my 2015 Cummins, it has no issues keeping the batteries maintained. The trolling motor batteries in my boat are wired in series (24-volt trolling motor), there I have two maintainers, and each maintainer is wired to a battery.
Yep, normal parallel set up. I will try with just one unit for both bats and let everyone know what happens. It actually didn't go off last night so it's been over 15 hours now since last alarm haha. The maintainers are simple 1 amp units.

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Okay, yesterday I removed 1 maintainer. This morning I checked and the maintainer had switched over to float charge with a green light. It's now almost 5 PM so it's been well over 24 hours with no alarm going off. All is good. Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions. Happy Holidays, Smokey

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I would also suggest that one of those battery maintainers may have an intermittent fault that is triggering the alarm.

You may want to keep that in mind when you disable one of them. If the alarm continues with only one charger, swap that with the other one you removed.

If one is bad, it was a 50/50 shot at keeping the right one. If one is bad, I got lucky, haha

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If one is bad, it was a 50/50 shot at keeping the right one. If one is bad, I got lucky, haha

Or so it would appear, you may have gotten lucky, so far.

Just keep in mind, that with the nature of intermittent electronics, you never know when the fault might return.

Time will tell. :cool:

Hopefully, you are able to hang on to the removed charger for a short while. Redundancy for important electronics can provide a sense of satisfaction.

I often carry 4 spare lights while scuba diving in a cave. :cool:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Why don't you try using the other maintainer just to see if it may be faulty? This way you will know if you have a bad unit or if the contention of two maintainers hooked together was the cause.

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Or so it would appear, you may have gotten lucky, so far.

Just keep in mind, that with the nature of intermittent electronics, you never know when the fault might return.

Time will tell. :cool:

Hopefully, you are able to hang on to the removed charger for a short while. Redundancy for important electronics can provide a sense of satisfaction.

I often carry 4 spare lights while scuba diving in a cave. :cool:

I'd want 4 spare tanks if scuba diving in a cave....Just saying

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Why don't you try using the other maintainer just to see if it may be faulty? This way you will know if you have a bad unit or if the contention of two maintainers hooked together was the cause.
I might try that sometime in the future, but for now it can go in the spare parts bin and hopefully never see the light of day. I hardwired the one in so I don't really want to mess with it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd want 4 spare tanks if scuba diving in a cave....Just saying

Depending on the dive plan, I usually have 3 tanks plus a 4th of deco gas. :cool:

We've become more conservative in the past 10 years and we each carry an entire extra tank that's not part of the gas plan, simply an extra bailout for if the SHTF.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Depending on the dive plan, I usually have 3 tanks plus a 4th of deco gas. :cool:

We've become more conservative in the past 10 years and we each carry an entire extra tank that's not part of the gas plan, simply an extra bailout for if the SHTF.

My wife and I went scuba diving once, we were in Cozumel at a resort and signed up for a one-day class and two dives. We were taught the basics in a pool, then later in the day we did a beach dive, then in the afternoon we took a boat to the San Francisco reef and dove down, the sea bed was about 45 feet and the water was as clear as it could be.

It was an experience I will never forget but a sinus issue prevented me from pursuing the hobby. I hope one day I can do it again albeit in shallower water. If anyone ever gets the opportunity to try scuba diving, you won't regret it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife and I went scuba diving once, we were in Cozumel at a resort and signed up for a one-day class and two dives. We were taught the basics in a pool, then later in the day we did a beach dive, then in the afternoon we took a boat to the San Francisco reef and dove down, the sea bed was about 45 feet and the water was as clear as it could be.

It was an experience I will never forget but a sinus issue prevented me from pursuing the hobby. I hope one day I can do it again albeit in shallower water. If anyone ever gets the opportunity to try scuba diving, you won't regret it.

If you think that was fantastic, just imagine the experience once you have your buoyancy control nailed.

You will be able to effortlessly hover over an abyss of hundreds of feet of water. And with clear water, that just feels almost like flying. :cool:

This 'out of this world' experience waits for almost anyone who's interested with investing the time and effort.

Some learn quickly, others take longer but there are many methods to learn optimum control and with regular skills practice, many can become proficient.

Soon after I started diving, I experienced considerable challenges with clearing my eustachion tubes and quickly learned about the many different methods to assist but sometimes it still felt impossible.

Occasionally, the sinus would also give me grief. PADI preaches to not use drugs with the justification of, you never know when the effects will wear off.

I loved being underwater and decided that idea was hogwash. After careful experimentation with various antihistamines, I found what works for me.

Now, that's a dead issue and never impacts my enjoyment of the underwater world.

And to PADI with their stern warnings, most of my dives range from 90 minutes to 2 hours with the longest being over 3 hours and my meds have never failed me. :cool:

My primary dive buddy took a bit longer to warm up to using medication but he's on board now, at least when we're Cave diving and sometimes for the larger open-water dive plans.

His sinus issue is by far the worst, it's known as reversed squeeze. Descending is usually easy for him but he often gets hits at the end of the dive while trying to ascend.

Now, he's trapped at depth until it settles but he always manages to surface with lots of extra breathing gas remaining and me at his side with lots of extra gas too.

With controlled use of the correct meds, that isn't an issue.

So, how is this Ram truck related?
I still drive my truck to the dive site. :cool:

Last edited: