Battery Tender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Could use some advice please. I have an 18 PowerWagon 6.4 that has all the goodies, plus power steps, touchscreen accessory control (lights, compressor, etc). Used to be my daily driver and my weekend toy but I work from home now and I've not driven it in 3 months. Went to start it last weekend and it's deader than disco.

I was thinking I could jump it, but this also may be an opportunity. I'm thinking about getting an onboard battery tender and upgrading my battery. The tender I'm looking at is the 5 amp version here.

Here are my questions:

1. has anyone else done this setup, or is this a bad idea?
  2. If so, do you recommend this particular tender?
  3. If I replace the battery, I hear Optima aren't so great anymore. What would you recommend?
Thanks all for your input!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Could use some advice please. I have an 18 PowerWagon 6.4 that has all the goodies, plus power steps, touchscreen accessory control (lights, compressor, etc). Used to be my daily driver and my weekend toy but I work from home now and I've not driven it in 3 months. Went to start it last weekend and it's deader than disco.

I was thinking I could jump it, but this also may be an opportunity. I'm thinking about getting an onboard battery tender and upgrading my battery. The tender I'm looking at is the 5 amp version here.

Here are my questions:

2. If so, do you recommend this particular tender?
  3. If I replace the battery, I hear Optima aren't so great anymore. What would you recommend?
Thanks all for your input!

The battery tender is a good idea.Not going to recommend a battery other then get the biggest AGM battery that'll fit and you can afford.Compare cold cranking amps etc,between batteries and spring for one that has the highest ratings you can find

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I leave all of my toy type vehicles on battery tenders. Dont have it built in though. I just plug the pigtail, and its all good. Including my HD's.

IMG_0814.JPG

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Like others have said, yes, it's a great idea. You should call Battery Tender to double-check if that model is the best for your truck. I have talked to them in the past and find they are very helpful, knowledgable and gave good suggestions.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have HEARD that their (Battery Tender) product quality has degraded in recent years - but cannot confirm. That said, I don't know that I'd trust any knockoffs either.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
5a should be plenty. You aren't charging a low battery your replacing the energy used by the electronics when the truck is sitting. A 10w solar panel is probably enough.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I replace the battery, I hear Optima aren't so great anymore. What would you recommend?
I replaced the battery in my EcoD, researched into batteries and Odyssey come back highly recommend. They're made Warrensburg, Missouri with ****** lead something other batteries can't claim, a lot use a recycled lead alloy.
The size for the PW should be an H7:
https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/94r-850
Someone on this forum reported being able to upgrade to a H8 which is about an 1.5" longer and has greater capacity. This is the one I bought for my EcoD
https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/49-950

As for a battery tender:
NOCO GENIUS1, 1-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V And 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, And Battery Desulfator With Temperature Compensation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W46BX31/

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Here are my questions:

Great Idea and lots of guys use them for their Park at the Hotel so I have wheels at the other end of the road cars that can sit for a month, or longer, at a time.

1. If so, do you recommend this particular tender?

Most just use the cheapest but few use that one too.

1. If I replace the battery, I hear Optima aren't so great anymore. What would you recommend?

Odyssey, Northstar, East Penn/Dekka are terrific batteries.
not really that many battery manufacturers, main ones have most all the USA market.

I try to avoid Johnson Controls, Optima or Exide.
DO a little research on your own.

O'reilly & NAPA batterys are usually East Penn, Dekka.
Easiest way to find out just who made the battery you are looking at is to find the safety sheet or hazmat data sheet.
Usually, Manufacturer is listed in that stuff.

\
Northstar makes the Batteries Plus X2 Power AGM Battery.

Again, look at the data sheets or hazmat stuff.

Like Interstate, AUtocraft, Autostart or whoevers Store brand of battery?
Depending on what year, it coudld be made by one outfit, one year
another year, by another outfit.

What to read about underhanded crap Diehard/Exide pulled off?

Battery case costs Sears $63 million

Ex-Exide CEO Sentenced to 10 Years

Exide Will Pay $27 Million in Fraud Case

Got to say, it is nice to see a Company Officer get 10 years.
though I doubt he actually he did 10 days in anything other than Club Fed for Rich ***** who get their hands slapped.

Far as price, reason I went with East Penn, great battery, family run operation forever , same plant, forever, and half the price.

Look at what Johnson Controls did with Optima.

Optima 1st came out, lasted forever, gaining market share, great work of mouth Rep. Johnson Controls buys them out, sends everything to Mexico because that always makes the final product better and raises prices. Few years later, after what I assume is all the mone possbile being made. they sell off the entire Johnson Controls Power (Read Battery ) Line to Brookfield asset Management (READ Investment Firm).

Brookfield is keeping the known name, while Johnson Controls Inc has actually moved on, from lead acid batteries.

I was darn close to buying them, for the boat, few years back, so researched them because the are pricey. Glad I did.

Johnson Controls - Wikipedia

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-business-to-brookfield-sources-idUSKCN1N32IW

johnson controls ruins optima - Google Search

Little bit of research goes along ways.
Or, ask the guys who have already done a ton of it.

I, personally, have zero interest in Optima, Interstate, Johnson Controls or Exide.

Pretty sure each one of them make a fine battery.
I just do not Know which battery that is.
Have had too much bad luck with the ones I have bought
or those whom I know have bought and, frankly,
do not want to mess with the damn battery again, for Years and Years.

When the battery fails, it is never 77 degrees, sunshine, nice wind and bikini clad Hotties
sunning themselves in the yard next to yours, as you work on changing out the battery. Oh, wouldn't it be nice?

But , Nooo, it;s always 03:00, -20 Degrees, 2 ft of snow, 35mph winds and pack of starving wild Dobermans out looking for the next meal.

Whatever battery you buy, hope the thing lasts as long as I want my East Penn to last.
F O R E V E R . . .

mrugg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I use and prefer the battery minder instead of the battery tender. Just because it does everything the battery tender does plus it is a desulfator which keeps the inside of the battery clean. Basically it keeps it from shorting out internally. It can also bring a almost dead battery back from the grave.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Look at CTEK battery tenders. They have a lot of features. I picked up one 5 years ago when we had our Camaro, but use it to maintain our camper battery all winter. It can recondition batteries as well.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just put one my parent's car since they aren't driving around much due to age and Covid. $30 from Amazon and it works perfectly. I also saw one at Costco for roughly the same amount. I didn't read all of the posts because I just don't understand how this can be so complicated. This is pretty low-tech stuff. Another option is to just have a battery-pack jumper for when your dies. Also, very simple and low-tech.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a battery tender brand maintenance charger back in 2002 for use with my trail bike and I was not impressed with it at all and at that time it was almost fifty dollars back then.
For the last ten years or more I use a Schumacher 3 amp, 6 & 12 volt maintenance charger on my GTO for years and it does a perfect job of knowing when to maintain the battery automatically, plus it has a digital display to show you the status of the battery progress and charging mode.
Go with at least a 3 amp maintenance charger with all the parasitic draw these new vehicles have or you will end up with an overworked charger and a weak battery
I also have three other large Schumacher battery chargers and have no issues with them and the old metal case one that's 43 years still looks brand new and works great

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Battery Tender Plus 1.25 amps with the indicator lights works great for Lead acid and AGM batteries.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Another option is to just have a battery-pack jumper for when your dies. Also, very simple and low-tech.

Low battery charge is what causes sulfation in crank batteries.

I started out using the Battery Tender brand and stayed with them. Today I run three 1.25 amp and two 4 bank units that maintain all of the batteries throughout the year.

Today's vehicles do use the battery when sitting idle, I think most brands quote a 20 to 30-day starting ability when sitting idle assuming a healthy battery.

My boat came with a dual battery maintainer to keep the two trolling batteries healthy and charged. My 16-foot dump trailer came with an on-board maintainer to charge and keep the battery ready for work. Can't remember the brand names of these two. All I can say is all brands work very well to keep the batteries healthy.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
First off, I only use AGM, in everything. Won’t even consider a battery anymore with removable caps.

A guy I know on an RV forum who worked a lifetime in the battery biz advised me there’s little difference in AGM cranking batteries. Only a few companies make them, but lots of others selling them and slapping a brand on them. His advice to me was get as much warranty per dollar as you can when selecting one. Nobody can keep up with the ever changing supply chain changes and specifications but a good indication of quality is how long they’ll guarantee it.

Last winter I needed one for my boat and found the best deal at NAPA.

I also think there may be some truth in the degradation of the Battery Tender brand, because I’ve used them for many years and the only one that’s failed is the newest one I bought a couple of years ago.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an old Battery Tender Plus. It's 17 years old, at least. I've used it on everything from dirtbikes to my Ram 1500. It's been perfect until lately. Lately, it seems to be hit or miss. But it's old. I've used it on my big truck battery for extended periods, I've used it on Shorai Lithium ion batteries.

My old Battery Tender Plus is one product that I've absolutely gotten my money's worth. I have a Ram, a Mustang, a Wrangler, a lawn tractor, and 7 motorcycles. It gets a constant work out.

After 17 years of hard service, it's finally shot. I'm going to buy a new one.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Used to restore and sell 80's and 90's sportbikes so had atleast 7 - 10 chargers going. I've had 5 different Schumacher "battery tenders" just die for no reason after about a year or two of use. my 15 year old Battery Tender is still going strong. I've actually had pretty good luck with my Stanley battery tender with about 7 years of use. So in the end, I'm down to 3 tenders.

have a pigtail on all of my vehicles and my motorcycle. keep them plugged in if I know I won't be driving for a bit. probably not a popular statement but I don't pay much attention to what battery brand I buy now. They're all crap unless you spend some $$$. I just keep changing my battery every 3 years even if it's still good or when little electronic glitches start happening, since I don't want to be stranded 1000 miles from home with my TT in tow.

Mikes578514

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought 6 of them and wouldn’t buy another!!! Their quality is fer sheet More than half Of mine have started coming apart at the strain reliefs, wires fraying, insulation cracking. Other than that they work great

Mike

[QUOTE="

As for a battery tender:
NOCO GENIUS1, 1-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V And 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, And Battery Desulfator With Temperature Compensation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W46BX31/[/QUOTE]

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone has an opinion and I respect them all. All of the above are good. So I will only give my almost 60 years of actual experience with batteries. The reliable ones really haven't changed a lot.

Someone said get the largest one that will fit in the box, that is the highest CCA and reserve. Very good advice. The vehicle arrives with the least needed to start and run.

Next, I have experimented with the Lithium variety on my motorcycles. I have found them unacceptable in cold weather. When I complained I was told they must heat up by turning the ignition on, wait awhile, then crank a few times the to get the battery warn to start the vehicle.

Yep, at anything below 65 degrees I had to do that. The colder it was the more I had to crank and the slower the engine turned. Finally as it sounded as though the battery was almost ready for the mortuary I got a live engine. I have to wonder how much extra wear was put on my starter. Electric motors experience more wear at lower voltage. The slow turning of the starter indicated low voltage.

For a starting battery the above advice for max CCA to fit the box, AGM battery is the only way to go.

I have Battery Tenders on all of my motorcycles and vehicles I do not drive almost weekly. Any of them will maintain the charge. I have the weather proof for the motorcycles as they are not in a completely rain tight environment. For the garage kept I opted for the larger output.

I also added a pigtail so I could just plug it in without raising the hood.