BBK Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok, I know opinions are like a*&^%$ but what is the real deal with BBK shorties or any other header for that matter. I see great reviews, bad reviews, fitment issues, perfect fit. Does it all come down to the install and prep for them to be good or do all headers leak? I'm just trying to get away from the dreaded manifold bolt replacement issue. This is my fourth Ram with the same issue. I had my exhaust guy replace the bolts with some type of upgraded bolt on my 05 but I don't recall if they held or not.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Save yourself a lot of headaches and go with Kooks headers and remflex gaskets and be done with it. I installed them on my truck and no problems whatsoever. No need to wrap or coat Kooks headers you'll love them

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ What he said , there's a reason BBK is cheap !

Ryno1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I love my BBKs, I used the factory manifold gaskets with them. Now it definitely helped having the engine out of the truck. If I still lived in OK, I probably would have gone different and dropped the cats though.

OP
OP
JLEONARD

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the replies. I don't think headers are worth $1500.00. Not enough return with hp etc.
I think I'm gonna go with the aftermarket hardened steel replacement bolts again. I grew up with my exhaust guy, he won't steer me wrong.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Save yourself a lot of headaches and go with Kooks headers and remflex gaskets and be done with it. I installed them on my truck and no problems whatsoever. No need to wrap or coat Kooks headers you'll love them
Sorry to hijack your thread OP. But I'd love to know by @Simpleman which Kooks he used, did they bolt up to the stock pipe or do you need to purchase a new Y pipe with cats? Gaskets? Bolts?

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i'm using the kooks shorty headers KOK-35101110 i got them from summit when they were $850, now theyre $1700!!!

i got the bare ones and had a local shop ceramic powder coated. they bolted up to the factory y pipe, i love'm

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i'm using the kooks shorty headers KOK-35101110 i got them from summit when they were $850, now theyre $1700!!!

i got the bare ones and had a local shop ceramic powder coated. they bolted up to the factory y pipe, i love'm
Wow big change in price!

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you have broken manifold bolts, and simply replace them without sanding or milling the OE manifolds flat, the bolts will break again.

You dont need super hard bolts IMO. When my manifold bolts broke on my '15, both exhaust manifolds were warped about .030 at the rear cylinder and slightly twisted as well. I sanded them flat the best I could, replaced the gaskets and bolts, and have not had a problem since.

A set of headers would be cool, but not in my financial situation. 20K+ miles down the road, and no issues for me. JMO, YMMV.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might take a look at this thread. It's from the "Sticky" section of this section
Jay

OP
OP
JLEONARD

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I trust my guy. Family is Lou's Custom Exhaust. This is my 4th Ram, fourth go around with the manifold bolts. My 05 needed machining, the rest worked with whatever bolts he replaces with. I was just curious about the headers. He steered me away from that idea.

89stang1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had BBK headers on mine didnt take long for them to rust to sheet 3 years they were shot. I wanted Kooks stainless shorties but they were not available and i got tired of waiting so i bought AFE Twisted steel shorties not the same grade steel as Kooks but so far they are holding up good. They were a couple hundred less than Kooks if i had my choice it would be Kooks hopefully mine last long.

SKinnaird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great thread.
Looking to put headers on my '01 1500 with the 5.2
And then straight pipe it out the back.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have ceramic coated BBKs on my 2013 Mustang. I've had them for a long time now. No problems what so ever.

Get the ceramic coated ones, and I doubt you'll have rust or any other problems. But my vehicles are garaged. And being garaged averts a lot of problems.

I put Shortys on my truck BEFORE I had any broken bolts, ticks, wapage, etc. I like to keep things simple.