Best all season tire that performs in snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, just looking for a solid P rated tire that’s smooth and quiet on the highway but also good in the snow.
They would go on a Laramie so I don’t want offroad looking tires on a truck that is meant for luxury. Just want a do it all well performing tire that will give me good mileage and does well in the snow. I have scorpions on it now they are terrible even in the rain. Rim size is 20 inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Given the choice, I'll take the Defenders also. I've used them on my last four vehicles and they are fine in Michigan winters.

I will say however that the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires on my 19 Laramie have been a pleasant surprise this winter. They have done well on snow covered and icy roads, probably close to the Defenders. I'll need a couple winters to finalize my thoughts as the Defenders keep their winter performance for a number of years and this is my first winter on the Bridgestones.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Skip the highway tires. Falken Wildpeak AT3W. You're welcome.

Ditto.

I know OP said he didn't want an offroad-looking tire, but honestly? I just drove over an iced-over pass in the Coastal Range this morning (coming into the city) and I didn't feel so much as a tire-slip, even on the twisties. They also behave pretty good on the highway - you won't feel the knobbiness of the tires until around 75-80 mph or so (it actually starts around 70, but you have to feel for it until you reach 75-80, when it becomes obvious).

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Michelin Defender. I got them in November and they have been excellent with wet traction and snow covered roads (mild N.East winter, nothing deep). Highway dry roads have been superb (ride, noise, response, etc..). OE Goodyear tires had plenty of tread, but they were so poor in the rain / wet roads I could not wait any longer.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Something like the nokian wrg4 sounds like what you're looking for. Look for all weather tires or 4 season instead of all season, which is really just a 3 season. They generally have less tread life due to softer compounds though. I run nitto ridge grapplers most of the year and hankook studded ipikes for the winter, but I'm not all fancy schmancy luxury like you.:)

Last edited:

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been very pleased with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s I installed at the start of winter. I replaced the SRA's right after I bought the truck with about 15,000 miles on them as they were terrible in the rain or a light snow. The Coppers have exceeded my expectations for a truck tire, quiet, good ride and handle the rain and snow with confidence. I have Blizzaks on our 2 Fords and they are the best you can get I believe for winter only traction but they fall way short towing or on dry roads where I do most of my driving.
I was going to put Blizzaks on the RAM but I also tow my sled trailer long distances in the winter and did not want the reduced handling you get with a true snow tire. I researched the heck out of tires and in the end decided on 4 season Coopers which is a brand I've never owned before instead of dedicated snows. For me this was a good choice as they do a great job across the varied conditions I run into here in Ontario.

Our Ford's summer tires are Pirelli Scorpions STR on one and the other I have Michelin's (I can't remember the model, they came from the factory with them) both in 20's. Never tried them in snow or ice as in the past I just order a second set of rims right away with dedicated snow tires. I have not actually had a vehicle with anything other than dedicated snow tires in 20 years until I bought the Coopers.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run separate tires in the winter, and will probably be putting Cooper AT3 4S tires on my truck as dedicated winter tires for next year. Tirerack has a great video of them being tested alongside the competition in Norway or Sweden.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I run Nokian LT studded tires in the winter, and just a decent traction tire in the summer.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
General Tire Grabber ATX. Got them in the fall and I love them. They are heavier than stock SRA’s but they are LT rated not P rated. Had them on for 15000km so far and the tread wear has been virtually nil. Would definitely buy again.
99% road driving only off road is into the junta camp in fall.

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus. Great traction, great ride, no noise.

rtwassa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know you don't want off-road tires on a luxury vehicle, but my wife surprised me with Nitto Ridge Grapplers (https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/) after my brand new Goodyear Wranglers with Kevlar were destroyed in one camping season pulling a 7,000 lbs camper. I also did not want the aggressive look on my 2014 Limited and it took everything I had to not tell her I wasn't very happy. Fast forward through winter, I LOVE THEM! They fit the Ram look perfect, they perform better than I ever thought tires could. I like to joke that my truck wears a skirt, not anymore!

IMG_0475.jpg

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Hey guys, just looking for a solid P rated tire that’s smooth and quiet on the highway but also good in the snow.
They would go on a Laramie so I don’t want offroad looking tires on a truck that is meant for luxury. Just want a do it all well performing tire that will give me good mileage and does well in the snow. I have scorpions on it now they are terrible even in the rain. Rim size is 20 inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Look at the Michelin LTX. I have used for years. According to Consumer Reports, they are the best all around tire

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The Falken Wildpeak A/T3W All-Terrain - LT285/60R20 E/10 ply is a phenomenal tire. I have found them to be great in all conditions - on all kinds of snow and ice, on wet or dry pavement, and on the highway. In addition, the mileage that I have gotten on them has been great as well.

My previous set of tires were the Goodyear Wrangle A/T Kevlar. There were good in the snow and on the highway, but the wear was terrible. I had to replace them at around 36K miles. In addition, the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W All-Terrain is about 1/3 less in cost.

(falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeaka/t3w-tire/)

Last edited: