Best all season tire that performs in snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I put Kumho Road Venture AT51 's 275/60-20's on my 2011 QC6.4 bed 4x4 at the recommendation of my local shop. He had put them on his father's Escape and his dad was very happy with the overall performance. The price was very reasonable as well. I like the more open but not at all noisy tread pattern getting into and out of my road which is 0.4 miles on dirt to my house. My son just put them on his trailblazer too, and he seems happy with the highway behavior. Overall, for us, good decisions so far. Hope somebody else can benefit from these observations.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey guys, just looking for a solid P rated tire that’s smooth and quiet on the highway but also good in the snow.

That's just not going to happen. Depending on the profile of the tire, weight and configuration of the vehicle, a P-rated all-season can be decent in winter conditions for the first year or so when the tread is deep and soft. After that, no way.

I've lived in the snow/rust belt my whole life. The only tire that's going to be what I would call good in the snow, are dedicated snow tires. Something with the 3-peak snow symbol on it.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
AT S tire.jpeg
Basically All Season tires suck in snow over a couple inch's. Not really made for much snow, a few inch's but only fair
The tires mentioned above are all good choices. Depends on how much you want to spend !
I went with Good Year AT/S tires. average cost $140.00 got mine Black Friday 100$ at Wal Mart
So far liking them a lot . and good in Maine snow so far. Very quiet tire and it isa light duty tire (IE;4 ply) I do not off road so works for me

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3111/can-all-season-tires-really-handle-the-snow/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear...MIjIGS6qP85wIVx5yzCh02XQQ8EAQYAiABEgJxtvD_BwE

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I upgraded tires on my '17 1500 when I got it. My priorities were wet traction, snow traction, good braking, and QUIET going down the road. Using Tire Rack info, Firestone Destination ATs were highest rated, and Yokohama Geolander ATs were just behind, and were 30$ per tire cheaper. The Geolander ATs have met all expectations. No hard off-roading, but plenty of ice and snow covered gravel/back roads during the winter, and lots of highway driving. 18k miles, and still look new.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
If you want to save a little money, I installed 4 Kumho Crugen HT51 (275/60R20) in October 2018. They are the only snow rated highway all-season (with the 3 peak mountain snow flake symbol) that I could find at the time. Got them for $124.60 on walmart.com (with 10% discount since my wife works at Walmart) with free delivery. I looked today and their $162.40.

I have about 15,000 miles on them and they have been smooth riding and way better than the OEM Goodyears in every way - ride, handling, traction in all situations - almost anything is an improvement on those.

Highly recommend them even though it's an "off brand" tire.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Picture FYI - other advantage, imo - no white letters. By the way, "white" roof and bed cover is just a heavy frost.2019-04-03_07-27-01_155 (2).jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you want to save a little money, I installed 4 Kumho Crugen HT51 (275/60R20) in October 2018. They are the only snow rated highway all-season (with the 3 peak mountain snow flake symbol) that I could find at the time. Got them for $124.60 on walmart.com (with 10% discount since my wife works at Walmart) with free delivery. I looked today and their $162.40.

I have about 15,000 miles on them and they have been smooth riding and way better than the OEM Goodyears in every way - ride, handling, traction in all situations - almost anything is an improvement on those.

Highly recommend them even though it's an "off brand" tire.
I'd hardly call kumho off brand. One of the largest tire companies globally and been around for a long time. Just don't have the huge north american advertising like goodyear, toyo etc.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, and they have been phenomenal

I have heard the AT3 4S Is better but these AT3 XLTs have gotten me threw some sh*t! And they look a little beefy. Great in mud and if your version of off road is more than a dirt road these have been awesome in N. ID and have barely worn in 2 years

15832630315967527449796742587991.jpg

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd hardly call kumho off brand. One of the largest tire companies globally and been around for a long time. Just don't have the huge north american advertising like goodyear, toyo etc.
Hmm. The cooper AT3 4S is a traction rated tire. Been around since at least 2018. That's when I got my xlts

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to tire rack, the Michelin defender ltx is about the best street tire you can get for icy and light snow-covered roads. I have a set on my truck that I’ve yet to really gotten to test but I have no doubt that if the roads around here ever do get icy, these are about the best next to a full-fledged studdable or non-studdable snow tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's just not going to happen. Depending on the profile of the tire, weight and configuration of the vehicle, a P-rated all-season can be decent in winter conditions for the first year or so when the tread is deep and soft. After that, no way.

I've lived in the snow/rust belt my whole life. The only tire that's going to be what I would call good in the snow, are dedicated snow tires. Something with the 3-peak snow symbol on it.

Dedicated snow tires are in a category of their own. FYI....All versions of Falken Wildpeak A/T3W have the 3-peak mountain symbol.

Scotts Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dedicated snow tires are in a category of their own. FYI....All versions of Falken Wildpeak A/T3W have the 3-peak mountain symbol.

I believe the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S have the 3-peak mountain symbol as well. I'm looking at both the Falken and Cooper right now as well.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
most people will recommend the tire they are running, right now. It;s teh one they fell in love with, purchased, and unless the tire is total crap, they will recommend it.

I have been running Michelin LTX M/S since BEFORE they started calling them Defenders.
Gota Wfie adn 4 kids, so many different tires have came on these cars but each and everyone got replaced with Michelin Defenders, when time came. some before, due to absolutely horrible tire. Ram 1500 Junkyears come to mind, they were most recent ones get blasted before 1.2 life treadwear. SImply sucked.

Got a SOn-in-Law who is a Mechanic, at a firestone store. Used to work for Ram dealer but Firestone pays better, more hours per work, nilled but not actually worked.
anyway, can get any fIrestone super cheap, do not have any and doubt I ever will.
My Daughter, his WIfe, got a set of Firestone for her Escape. She is not a fan.
Pretty pissed, actually. Guess they sucked last winter.
She sadi next tiem sheneeds tires, she is just going to get them on the family Costco or Sam;s Club urn and say I did it.
Though, now that she is pregnant, doubt they last that long.

bottom line, research Michelin Defenders, they have more 5 star reviews than most others have reviews, total and combined.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my truck used. It had suspension issues and tires were cupped pretty bad. I replaced most of the front end components but didn’t want to chance ruining an expensive set of tires so I bought some used Goodyear’s (stock from a 2017 I think). You guys all had me pretty nervous about running those tires but when the snow hit I was amazed. Truck did awesome. My last truck was a 4x4 Dakota with studded tires. I also have an AWD Subaru with Studded tires so I do have something to compare to. All that being said, my next set will be the Wildpeak AT3

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Skip the highway tires. Falken Wildpeak AT3W. You're welcome.
18 Laramie 1500... 4x2. (SC) ... 20k on my Falken Wildpeak At3 W's (3 ply - P rated)... Extremely pleased with wet traction (& limited snow). I drive mostly interstate (35 mi each way for work), ride is still very good with about a 1 mpg hit from stock GSA's5dfb74f99ec39270ad6c61a5fc9f9b8b.jpg

M² Mods.

northvibe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put Duratracs on my ram and love them. I usually do a summer/winter snow set on all my vehicles but didn’t want to mess with this trucks 20” wheels, so I picked the tire better for snow/ice as I’m up north. I’ll buy again.

They will slide a tad more than snow tires but taking off on ice and snow has not been an issue in 4x4. 2wd is fine as long as you start slow

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
... Yokohama Geolander ATs were just behind, and were 30$ per tire cheaper. The Geolander ATs have met all expectations.

I'm a fan of these as well. Had a couple sets on my Dakota, put a set on our dually, and put a set on my Ram like 2 days after I bought it. They don't do too bad in mud either.
But the great reviews for Michelin Defenders and Falken Wildpeaks have me considering those for the next go round.