Best Lift for a 4th Gen Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, I always believed that the best lift for my truck was the DualSport from AEV. It seems one that is well engineered.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/ram-1500-4-dualsport-suspension-sc/

However I would like to run my stock 17" rims and get just get a taller tyre underneath it and with the AEV kit, I need to switch over.

Are there any similar kits like the AEV one?

However there is another thing I'm considering. I want the truck to be able to fit in underground mall parking lots as well.
So essentially I'm looking for a really good lift to give it good ground clearance for off-roading and overlanding as well as be usable as a daily driver.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
For me, I always believed that the best lift for my truck was the DualSport from AEV. It seems one that is well engineered.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/ram-1500-4-dualsport-suspension-sc/

However I would like to run my stock 17" rims and get just get a taller tyre underneath it and with the AEV kit, I need to switch over.

Are there any similar kits like the AEV one?

However there is another thing I'm considering. I want the truck to be able to fit in underground mall parking lots as well.
So essentially I'm looking for a really good lift to give it good ground clearance for off-roading and overlanding as well as be usable as a daily driver.

AEV was discontinued the last I checked I don’t follow them to know if anything has changed. We would need a height of the mall parking garage but it sounds like you want a good set of 2.5 coil overs and a set of 35’s or 37’s depending on your overlanding terrain

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check Carli if you don’t want to thinker much. You get a full set of King 2.5 CO and 2.5 rear shocks which are one of the best shocks money can buy, tuned for the package. they say 2" front 3/4" rear. they give you rear springs, sway bar links, uca's etc.

If you like to build your own you can get the shocks valved and tuned from Accutune or Filthy Motorsports. For example
Acctune King 2.5's valved and tuned with Reservoirs and adjusters: $3198
Accutune King 2.5's with Res $2548

For UCA's i'll vouch for Icon Delta Joints, but any UCA's with uniballs and poly bushings will work.

If you're going for exploration and you'll have a bed full of gear , better to start with Icon 1.5 springs, if you're adding RTT's, steel bumpers, rock sliders, full spare, etc, Clayton 2.5 springs are your ticket to keep the rear up. Kings will work like a dream with either of those coils. Clayton are more specific to the JT world. 2.5" coils, triple rate, COR-1510251. I'm running 29" extended custom made King 2.5 rear shocks, literally same specs from the long travel rear kit from Dirt King. The Clayon springs are long enough to support such shocks, and still heavy duty enough to carry/ handle extra weight from whatever gear youll throw back there.

You'll need +1 rear sway bar links, which you can get from Core4x4 if you go with the Icon 1.5 coils
You'll need +2 rear sway bar links if you go with the Clayton springs.

in either case, you'll also want to replace your rear control arms and trackbar, Clayton have a set in opinion with one of the best control arms as they don't require any maintenance, they make them with Giro DDB bushings which are super flexy on both ends and the bushings are long lasting, arms are just damn pure beef, and those bushings will take factory torque 190-200ft/lbs both uppers and lowers, they are Clayton Overland + control arms, COR-1710120

Clayton Trackbar is COR-4510110, that one has an Enduro Currie joint in one side with giro ddb bushing on ther other. Before you ask everything you see Clayton is aftermarket parts for the 2020+ Jeep Gladiator JT. No they're not stock jeep Parts, they're made for overlanding so everything is HD stuff designed for aggressive offroad and to wishtand overslanding tasks, weight etc etc.

Finally you can also replace your factory rear sway bar with a Hellwig 7709. set it in the 3rd hole for max flex.

I'm telling you from experience what works, and works well for an overlanding/offroad rig that can go fast in the dirt with a mid travel setup :) my truck has 100k miles, and i'm still on factory unmolested front LCA's, tie rods and cv axels, i beat the crap out of my truck and she keeps begging for more. Fits in most parking structures just fine. front is set at 2.75", rear is about 1.75", zero spacers, 500lbs extra in the bed from spare, steel bumper, gear etc, 160lbs extra right in the middle from rock sliders, 160lbs front bumper + winch, full spare in the back etc etc.

Have fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ram1500rsm Thank you for the advice. I will look into that. The trouble is where I live. Very limited options and if you want something good, you need to import it. So best to get it right the 1st time.

Do the Clayton springs increase the payload capacity of the truck? Doesn't the Gladiator JT have a lesser payload than the full-size Ram 1500?

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ram1500rsm Thank you for the advice. I will look into that. The trouble is where I live. Very limited options and if you want something good, you need to import it. So best to get it right the 1st time.

Do the Clayton springs increase the payload capacity of the truck? Doesn't the Gladiator JT have a lesser payload than the full-size Ram 1500?

Payload is a value set by the manufacturer. You’ll never increase it per se , you can decrease it however if you add extra weight. Icon or Clayton will give you heavier coil spring rates which means you’ll be able to carry more weight with less sag with respect to stock. Both springs will drive better than stock unloaded or loaded. Just the beauty of progressive rate springs in this application. Both coils are 75% heavier than stock on the 3rd rate, 35% heavier on their 2nd rate. Unloaded you’ll drive between a softer 1st rate and 2nd rate so you don’t feel any harshness. Don’t think about Jeep payload. That doesn’t matter, you’re not getting stock Jeep JT coils, you’re getting coils that are actually a lot more HD than your stockers. Tuff truck specific HD RAM coils are 50% stiffer than factory.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Payload is a value set by the manufacturer. You’ll never increase it per se , you can decrease it however if you add extra weight.
Ok.. so if I understanding this correctly, the reason that most off road mods for the truck decrease the payload is because they are softer suspension and are more heavier than the standard parts. Correct?

Payload is a value set by the manufacturer. You’ll never increase it per se , you can decrease it however if you add extra weight. Icon or Clayton will give you heavier coil spring rates which means you’ll be able to carry more weight with less sag with respect to stock. Both springs will drive better than stock unloaded or loaded. Just the beauty of progressive rate springs in this application. Both coils are 75% heavier than stock on the 3rd rate, 35% heavier on their 2nd rate. Unloaded you’ll drive between a softer 1st rate and 2nd rate so you don’t feel any harshness. Don’t think about Jeep payload. That doesn’t matter, you’re not getting stock Jeep JT coils, you’re getting coils that are actually a lot more HD than your stockers. Tuff truck specific HD RAM coils are 50% stiffer than factory.
According to the video I posted. The guy chose the Icon shocks because it would give him a better ride off road and will retain the stock payload capacity of the truck. I guess really isn't the case.

From your description of the springs, I think the Clayton ones would be good choice.

When it comes to leveling the truck, I actually want it retain the factory stance as much as possible. I know the normal thing is to give it a level. But I figure that if I keep the rake, then the truck will be leveled when loaded with gear for touring. Am I correct?

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Ok.. so if I understanding this correctly, the reason that most off road mods for the truck decrease the payload is because they are softer suspension and are more heavier than the standard parts. Correct?

According to the video I posted. The guy chose the Icon shocks because it would give him a better ride off road and will retain the stock payload capacity of the truck. I guess really isn't the case.

From your description of the springs, I think the Clayton ones would be good choice.

When it comes to leveling the truck, I actually want it retain the factory stance as much as possible. I know the normal thing is to give it a level. But I figure that if I keep the rake, then the truck will be leveled when loaded with gear for touring. Am I correct?
The video you posted was a paid advertisement the guy didn’t choose anything the parts were sent to him. I’d keep that in mind. As with most things the “best” will normally come with the highest price tag

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at the TufTruck website.. https://www.tuftruck.com/product/ttc-1223vt-variable-rate-heavy-duty-rear-coil-spring-kit/

It says that "These coils are not compatible with Rebel models or models fitted with the Off-road package.".. Does this mean that these coils aren't good for off roading? I wasn't aware that Ram had an off road package besides the Rebel trim.

The video you posted was a paid advertisement the guy didn’t choose anything the parts were sent to him. I’d keep that in mind. As with most things the “best” will normally come with the highest price tag
That is quite true. I did ask for the "best" lift for the Ram 1500. But I realize that the answer can be subjective and does come quite a price attached.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Payload=GVWR - Curb Weight
Offroad mods typically add to your curb weight. Bigger better more HD is often heavier so everything you add to the rig when it comes to mods for off-roading will add to your curb weight and diminish your payload. Rest assure you’re not going to find any coil spring softer than stock unless perhaps if you did the Carli rear springs among all :) call them to verify but I think they have a factory rate or lighter.

Better ride sure. Retain stock payload ? Heck no. The Coilovers alone must weight double or 3 times the weight stockers :) everything he added is going to increase the truck performance and improve the ride but the extra weight will take lbs from the payload. Just the nature of the beast. All coilovers weigth a ton more than stock. Icon makes a nice system too if you wanted to save some bucks and don’t need 2.5 performance. No Reservoirs in the front will save you money. Then in the rear you get 2.0 shocks which are substantially cheaper. You loose performance compared to the 2.5 rear shocks he installed but they’re still better than stock. Check the Icon stage 2 kit for your truck. Then add the Icon UCAs. :)

Only if you’re adding weight to your truck bed. If you didn’t your butt will go too high. You want at least 500lbs of weight in your truck bed at all times to give you around 2” lift. Otherwise you’ll be at 2.5” rear. If you don’t have that much weight then go with the Icons 1.5” coils.

Yes. With icons you’ll get around 1 1/4 once they have settled unloaded. Claytons will give 2.5 unloaded.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at the TufTruck website.. https://www.tuftruck.com/product/ttc-1223vt-variable-rate-heavy-duty-rear-coil-spring-kit/

It says that "These coils are not compatible with Rebel models or models fitted with the Off-road package.".. Does this mean that these coils aren't good for off roading? I wasn't aware that Ram had an off road package besides the Rebel trim.

They’re prob referring to Rebels with ORP springs. They’re longer than Standard RAM springs and only offered in 5th gen RAM 1500’s. The 4th gen Rebels didn’t have those but still came with a spring that was 1” taller than the ones in the standard trucks. 5th gen dudes are now doing Claytons on the Rebels to gain 1.5” on top of the ORP springs. TTC coils will be too short for Rebels or ORP. Heck everything they have is shorter than stock springs except those VT ones which are 3/4 taller than stock.

That is quite true. I did ask for the "best" lift for the Ram 1500. But I realize that the answer can be subjective and does come quite a price attached.

You get what you pay for. You can lower the price with different parts and you can still call it best depending on what you’re doing and what you are comparing it too. You can do overlanding with an eibach kit, you can do overlanding with a 5100 kit and still call it best with respect to stock. Better and Best always cost more but you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you @ram1500srm & @Quick_Shifter for the comments and advise.

Closely thinking about it all, I want a lift that meets my needs well, allows me to used underground parking with 2.2 meter max height. Since it is my daily driver, it spends most of its life on the road and on highways. I don't see much offroading or dirt during the summer months. So with all of that in mind, the ICON Stage 5 kit is the best one for me.
https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com...ram-1500-4wd-75-25-stage-5-suspension-system/

One question though.. Looking through the various stages, I don't understand what is the difference in between the stage 4 and stage 5. It seems to have all the same components and features.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you @ram1500srm & @Quick_Shifter for the comments and advise.

Closely thinking about it all, I want a lift that meets my needs well, allows me to used underground parking with 2.2 meter max height. Since it is my daily driver, it spends most of its life on the road and on highways. I don't see much offroading or dirt during the summer months. So with all of that in mind, the ICON Stage 5 kit is the best one for me.
https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/accessory/11492/icon-accessories-09-18-ram-1500-4wd-75-25-stage-5-suspension-system/

One question though.. Looking through the various stages, I don't understand what is the difference in between the stage 4 and stage 5. It seems to have all the same components and features.

Stage 4 doens't have rear adjusters, stage 5 does.

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ram1500rsm with all the offroading that you have been doing, have you ever been tempted to go in for a 3" - 4" lift kit? Or do you think that you have the right balance of clearance and tyre size for a daily driver?

Shelton90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I could go back, I’d run a leveling coil over spring and 33s. I have a 6” lift from the factory, literally a mopar lift. I’d look at BDS too, I had them on my Denali and it was top notch, as mentioned Carli is top notch too. The king 2.5 remotes are sweet

OP
OP
knightjp

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I could go back, I’d run a leveling coil over spring and 33s. I have a 6” lift from the factory, literally a mopar lift. I’d look at BDS too, I had them on my Denali and it was top notch, as mentioned Carli is top notch too. The king 2.5 remotes are sweet
You got a 6" lift done right from the factory? Impressive.
At most for my 2014 truck, I've been only able to find these.

https://www.mopargenuineparts.com/part-ymm/2014-ram-1500-lift-kit.html

With the 6" lift, are you able to get into mall parking lots? The height limit over here in the malls are about 2.2 meters.

Shelton90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You got a 6" lift done right from the factory? Impressive.
At most for my 2014 truck, I've been only able to find these.

https://www.mopargenuineparts.com/part-ymm/2014-ram-1500-lift-kit.html

With the 6" lift, are you able to get into mall parking lots? The height limit over here in the malls are about 2.2 meters.

Yes sir my lift has no “brand” was factory lifted when I got it. Mopar parts. Everything fits like a glove as it should but I think they are discontinued or it was a limited time deal. I never parked in a parking garage tbh but I’d imagine I wouldn’t try without a spotter. I got Mickey Thompson 35s also. Hind sight again, I’d go leveled and 33s. Bigger tires=power loss, lifted= more drag, towing, more expensive tire changes, upper ball joints, etc etc etc lol

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had a Zone 6" lift installed with Fox 2.5 coil overs along with Zone UCA's in front, Fox 2.0's and 3" coils in back. This truck drives like a dream. A true red neck Cadillac. Absolutely love it.

I got about 5" in the front and 3" in the back.

Shelton90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had a Zone 6" lift installed with Fox 2.5 coil overs along with Zone UCA's in front, Fox 2.0's and 3" coils in back. This truck drives like a dream. A true red neck Cadillac. Absolutely love it.
I got about 5" in the front and 3" in the back.

Glad you put in the UCA, the best ones will have a uniball, eliminates the UCA failures

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990