Best Mods for Under $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
What is this tailgate assist and this seat modification? Why?

Tailgate assis is a piston, that attaches to the side of ones tailgate, and helps to hold the weight, as tailgate lowers slowly.

Basically, pop it and drop it,without the loud think or worry about some kid come running under it, while it drops.
Like having a piston on a screen door, some will question the need. Why one could just open and close the door themselves.
WHile he rest of us go, Piston that keeps a screen door from slamming? Oh, hell yeah.

Dopes nothign with raising the tailgate, only dropping it.

Seat modification allows on to lower the back of the seat, gaining access to the space behind it,. great place of things like sunscreen, shotugns, stuff you don;t get to much but still need to grab, once in a awhile. Kind of like how all 60's, 70's, 80's trucks used to have the seat tilt forward for more access.

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i know this isnt the place to put this but thought it was appropriete because its talked about alot. anyone have problems with the deezee tailgate assist? noticed this morning mine was broke at the bottom where it attaaches to the tailgate.
DeeZee has Thee best customer service bar none... The crush nut that goes in side the tailgate slipped two different times both times they sent me a new complete hardware kit, had the clip fly off and lost it while taking the assist off called to we if I could buy one,they said "we'll take care of it"...DeeZee sent me a whole brand new tailgate assist no charge!!! Was not expecting that!!!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The under-hood light kit IMO is worth it 30/50$ and my under-seat LEDs in my Quad Cab about 15$ for Led;s and plugs. BUT now I know they work I will be upgrading my Led's View attachment 153970
What year is your Ram? Can you send me the link to the under seat LEDs you bought. I've been thinking of switching mine out .

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
What year is your Ram? Can you send me the link to the under seat LEDs you bought. I've been thinking of switching mine out .
Very easy to do. If you look at the seat legs you will see 2 factory holes. Use the bottom hole as the top one gets covered by the seat when closed ! Mine had the socket already there not sure if I could have used it ,looks the same but could not pop it out and new ones cheap enough ! ALSO if you order the socket MAKE sure they come with the pins to crush on your wires off the lights. I am going to upgrade the LED light now I know it works :)

dakotanut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this seat mod is only for quad cabs? I've got crew cab. Does the tailgate mod take up any bed space?

b-rock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So this seat mod is only for quad cabs? I've got crew cab. Does the tailgate mod take up any bed space?
No to both of your questions.

The seat mod can be done on both crew and quad cabs.

The Dee Zee Tailgate Assist is a gas strut that fits in the same space as the limiting cable that holds the tailgate when it is open. No bed space is compromised for this.

2017 RAM 1500 CC, LoneStar, Black Pearl

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Seat mod is for any truck.

Tailgate assist attaches to the truck bed, at the same spot as those straps that keep the tailgate from droping completely off the truck. You know, when the tailgate is down, those straps are steretched otu and hodl the tailgate level to the bed so it is one big flat floor. Talgate assist goes there, in their spot. when tailgate is up and shut, you cannot even see the things, kinda liek you cannot see those straps.

Basically, it is nothing more than a gas strut, as mentioned. Not unlike on your hood, van hatch, etc. it simply provides resistance to allow that tailgates weight to drop slowly, instead of all at once. kinda like how an elevator goes down smoothly.

Where a Hatch strut or a hood struts internal pressure is greater than the weight of the thing it holds open, thus holding it up and open, until you actually close it.. the tailgate assists internal pressue is less than the wegfht of the tailgate, so it will open ut it will do slowly, as the weight is working against that internal pressure. that is what keeps the tailgate form falling, ka-boom.

again, that is all it does, stop the tailgate from dropping fast and hard. but it is so darn handy. no more worrying about kids getting clobbered by a tailgate opening, no more skinned knuckles or sore hips because the tailgate slipped out of your hands. For guys, who use there tailgates a lot, , its handy. For those who do not use them much , it is even handier.
WIfe hardly ever uses my tailgate but loves it, one of her favorite modifications - I use my tailgate, all the time, and will never have another truck without one.

The thing is so dang handy, it is fast becoming standard equipment, direct form the Manufacturers.

Basically, think of it as Auto Transmission or Power brakes or power windows, something that someone thought of, that literally everyone loves and pretty much every damn vehicle will have, from now on. Cannot think of any beteer way to explain it.

Tell you what. Google Tailgate Assist SUcks

You can google anything sucks and some one, some where, will have page, about how it sucks. Not this.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Can i ask,

Why are guys putting short antennas on?

I dont get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can i ask,

Why are guys putting short antennas on?

I dont get it.

I did it because of car washes and so my truck can fit in the garage without removing the antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I did it because of car washes and so my truck can fit in the garage without removing the antenna.

If I'm not mistaken the factory antenna doubles as a clearance indicator/warning...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

silver13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
[emoji2357]

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I'm not mistaken the factory antenna doubles as a clearance indicator/warning...

And now I don’t have to deal with it. [emoji1744]‍[emoji3603]

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck fits in my garage and at the car wash w/out the stock antenna. So I’m good.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My truck fits in my garage and at the car wash w/out the stock antenna. So I’m good.

I see...I think you misunderstood. The antenna will let you know if you'll fit before your roof comes into contact to avoid damage.