Best rear ending locker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 09 ram 1500 hemi 2wd and I don’t have a limited slip diff. What is the best locker I can get to install. Just looking fo someone with experience on this. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Best is a wide open question, they all have advantage and disadvantage. Selectable lockers like ARB and Eaton E-locker give stock open characteristics when unlocked including zero traction advantage in rain or slightly slick roads. Auto lockers like Detroit locker give additional traction all the time but have some annoying behavior. Most people are better served by an aggressive LSD like the Truetrac or Auburn.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what he said
Unless you understand the handling characteristics and drawbacks of a locker for what most people use their truck for, a LSD like an TrueTrac or Auburn will be the better choice. Chances are if you get stuck with an LSD, you probably would have with a Locker too.
Having a selectable Locker in the front axle can make a big difference if you get into the really soupy stuff

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok thanks I’m thinking all I need is a limited slip and I found a Yukon dura grip. Has anyone used this one? I’m trying not to get stuck again. And was thinking it both wheels spun it would be better than 1. Just looking for a little more traction.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
For me the need of a locker isn't just "getting stuck" but rather the one wheel peeler effect. I live in PNW nd it rains, alot. So wet roads and turning can slip the rive when. Had a locker in my Inter Scout and it was awesome. So awesome I didnt need 4wd much.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
For me the need of a locker isn't just "getting stuck" but rather the one wheel peeler effect. I live in PNW nd it rains, alot. So wet roads and turning can slip the rive when. Had a locker in my Inter Scout and it was awesome. So awesome I didnt need 4wd much.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The selectable lockers won't help in that kind of use. The auto lockers and Truetrac both do a good job in that kind of use with the Truetrac having better manners.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
Yup i had a true trac locker. Good point for those who dont know.

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The Yukon Duragrip is a clutch style limited slip. It uses spring loaded clutch plates to achieve power transfer between the axles. A lot of the OEM limited slips are clutch style. Most can be rebuilt when the clutch material wears down.

The Detroit/Eaton Truetrac is helical limited slip. It uses a gear pack to transfer power to both axles. There is nothing to wear out.

If it were my money, I'd get a helical style limited slip. I had Truetracs front and rear on my JK Wrangler and outside of hardcore rock crawling, they were awesome. Lots of grip and was very predictable in the snow.

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info I think I’ll go with the truetrac. What spline axles do the 09s come with? 31?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
So I was checking out of curiosity, and the only limited slip for a 2018 Ram available is a Yukon Gear unit that doesn't appear to have very good reviews. A couple of reviews said that after 6 to 8 months they grenade.

Haven't found any units from Eaton or Auburn Gear that would work

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Haven't found any units from Eaton or Auburn Gear that would work

Contact Moe's Performance about what you need to put a TrueTrac in the ZF axle for your truck. If I'm not mistaken they can source everything but the driver's side axle shaft from a pre '10 truck.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Contact Moe's Performance about what you need to put a TrueTrac in the ZF axle for your truck. If I'm not mistaken they can source everything but the driver's side axle shaft from a pre '10 truck.

Not saying I would do it, just curious to see what's out there. What is so special about the ZF axle in our trucks?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What is so special about the ZF axle in our trucks?
Even though the ZF 235mm is a 9.25" axle like the previous one from AAM, the gears and axle shaft lengths changed so there is not much in the way of aftermarket parts.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
On the 2011+ Mopar has their limited slip on sale right now for $395

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
Ok thanks I’m thinking all I need is a limited slip and I found a Yukon dura grip. Has anyone used this one? I’m trying not to get stuck again. And was thinking it both wheels spun it would be better than 1. Just looking for a little more traction.

Until you get some manner of LSD, remember the old trick of using the parking brake *lightly* when one rear wheel is spinning and you're stuck. A light application will slow the spinning wheel down and hopefully force the other one to work equally. It won't always work like that, but it has saved me a PITA more than once.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm a big fan of truetac. I've put this in pretty much all my rear end builds. as mentioned, low maintenance, good on road manner, no special additives. but tends to be spendy. the one for AAM 11.5 14 bolt rear end is almost a grand.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ar/2009/make/dodge/model/ram-1500?prefilter=1

They are nice and if you do get yourself stuck on ice, a light brake application will act like a locker on the truetac, they are pretty much bulletproof vs your traditional clutch based LSD

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the trutrac installed over the weekend with the 4.10 gear. I will see what happens in 2 weeks towing the Travel Trailer to Myrtle Beach state park. Seems like it hasn’t stopped raining since the beginning of the year here in the southeast. I don’t think I will have any other issues thanks for the recommendation.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you will be happy with the Truetrac. Ran one for years in my daily driver and it's the best limited slip I have ever used.

As mentioned above, the OP doesn't state the intended use of the vehicle but generally for a daily driver (especially a 2wd) I would recommend a more aggressive aftermarket limited slip. This really helps the "one wheel peel" when pulling out on the road when wet or snowy, and makes a big difference in wet grass or other low traction situations. A true locking diff is usually not needed in these situations. Only when you get into more hardcore off-road when you have the vehicle fully articulated and extreme traction differences between the tires is when a locker comes into play (my hobby is off-roading and I have 3 vehicles with lockers front and rear). Selectable lockers are nice if you do hardcore offroading but still drive on the street and don't want the annoying characteristics of a locker on the pavement. The main issue is that most of these are either a completely open diff or fully locked, which means you would constantly have to lock and unlock the diff for daily driving if you were trying to avoid the one wheel peel on wet and slick roads.