Best Solution to Shine Black Powder Coated Rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
What are the best products to use in order to shine or clean your black powder coated rims? They look nice when I wipe them down with a clean rag, but I'm wondering if there's something that actually shines them without damaging the texture or powder coating. I've tried Googling it (normally never fails me) but the only thing I found had "2500 Silverado" on it.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You can use basically any wheel cleaner and then you can coat them with a wheel sealant (Poorboy's, Chemical Guys) or even just a QD spray.
Start on small areas first to test but it shouldn't be a problem.

I tried the P&S Brake Buster cleaner last weekend, I like it a lot!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am using Adams Graphene Detail spray or CG speed wipe on mine.

OP
OP
LSU04_08

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
You can use basically any wheel cleaner and then you can coat them with a wheel sealant (Poorboy's, Chemical Guys) or even just a QD spray.
Start on small areas first to test but it shouldn't be a problem.

I tried the P&S Brake Buster cleaner last weekend, I like it a lot!

Thanks. I guess I worded my question wrong, I meant sealing/waxing them. After I washed my truck Saturday, I sprayed some Maguires Hot Shine on the tires, wiped them down and used the same rag to wipe the rims down.

Before:

Ram NE 4.jpg

After (That's not a crack house in the background, it's my shed I rigged into a deer stand):

Ram NE 2.jpg

A little bit of a difference. I didn't want to risk damaging the surface of the rims by having tire shine on them so I washed it again yesterday.

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks. I guess I worded my question wrong, I meant sealing/waxing them. After I washed my truck Saturday, I sprayed some Maguires Hot Shine on the tires, wiped them down and used the same rag to wipe the rims down.

Yep most wheel sealants should work on your wheels. You could probably try a Quick Detailer also (Like Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Detailer). Try on a small spot first and see how it goes.

You know what? My side steps are powder coated, I'll try my QD on them and let you know the result. I've also use my tire shine and that worked very well, not sure what the long term effects will be though of using tire shine on them.

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I use Adams Graphene Detail Spray. Just spray and wipe.

Rickl82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have been dealing with the same issue. All im going to say is yes be cautious, i wish i had been. I tried just about everything on the shelf, something created a white wash like staining on my wheels. Sorry to say i compounded the mistake by not catching which one exactly did it. But all the products I tried were for wheels and 1 of them is dangerous for these wheels

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
some have acids in them, so yes, be careful. Wash them with water and soap, and ceramic if you want them easier to clean.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray . . . $15 at Walmart . . . Works awesome with no fear of damage