Best Tires for Western NY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And these Hankook Dynapro AT2's (RF11's) on my Hummer for the same reasons. See pic below. IDK if they're the BEST snow tire, but they've been real good for me. The good:

1) More horizontal-ish tread blocks
2) Little wider gaps between tread blocks
3) Tread blocks which go ALL THE WAY DOWN to the carcass
4) Plenty of rubber to get good mileage, longevity out of them
5) White wall available
6) Rim protecting bead (lot of tires don't have that)
7) Square shoulders for a large contact patch
8) A/T load range E. They're stiffer, but the sidewalls aren't super stiff. Yeah, the H3 rides stiff with any tire, that's how they ride. It's not a Cadillac! These aren't any stiffer than the load range D Pirelli Scorpion ATs I had before (great tire, but not good snow tire).
9) Real good off road.
10) They look good

Any tire you can run easily run your hand across and it "feels" smooth, doesn't get caught in some tread, isn't going to be worth a darn in deep snow. That's my experience. I have a long driveway on a steep hill which drifts and doesn't get plowed out quick. I sometimes need to engage the locker & churn through good snow to get into our place. :D

Overall OP, you can't go wrong with the BFG's KO2's.

Note: Don't confuse these HK AT2's RF12's with the Hankook ATM's..... The RF12's are the newer model.

New Tires Tread_small2.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a lot of different snow conditions: Wet snow, dry snow, real deep snow, slushy snow, deep slush ...deep spring hydroplane puddles. And then you get into super cold sub-zero (F*) temps, ice ....and hard-packed rural snow. And sometimes a guy can experience a handfull of these conditions together in one MILE!!

If you drive safe and not too fast, just about any tire is going to be 'ok' as long as you stay within it's limits. Yer just going to have to make a decision...there's a ton of good, competent tires out there ..and probably not one "Best" tire. Continental and Yokohama both have really good A/T tires. I have a few trucks with Cooper AT3s on them too and they're great. Little wider gaps between the tread than the Cooper XLT's. And a fantastic value when Walmart has them on sale (keep an eye out). I quit buying Michelins because they weather-check too fast for me.

Good luck! :waytogo:

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is my 2nd set of Duratracs and be it that they are good, the 2 sets I have had they last about 40k, and the more they wear the worse wet traction I get. Anyway, I really like what I hear about BFG ko2s and the Wildpeak AT3W. The Falkens are more affordable but I just don't know if I believe the hype. I don't know anyone who has them personally but so many people online love them!

For decades now I have always made sure I bought new tires as late in the year as I could get away with, hoping I would at least have new (and hopefully good) tires, for at least 1 winter.
So much of my mileage has always been highway, I have often had good rubber for the 2nd year as well.
After that, after the 20k - 30k point is usually when even a good tire will show it's true nature.

Minotaur 013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Kenda Klever RT’s! They are pinned for studs like dura tracs but have a way deeper tread and better sidewalls. They also are cheaper. I live in the PNW and these tires have seen it all on my Ram Minotaur. I also ran these on my built 2003 Toyota Tacoma TRD. IMG_2487.jpeg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those Kenda's look pretty good ...probably great in mud, dirt and off-road tire. Side-biters and recessed bead are great features too.

I don't see a lot of sipes ...which would concern me for heavy winter/snow use. Winter tires usually have a good number of sipes, and dedicated snow tires have tons. See Cooper Winter Evolution (below). But if a guy isn't in Buffalo-type heavy snow, the Kenda tread blocks seem to have some space between them to hold a tad more snow. If ya look at those Multi-Mile tires I put on my plow truck, they have a pretty good number of sipes for a non-snow tire. :)

Cooper-Evolution-Winter-1-470x441.jpg

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently live in Buffalo, NY. I have a stock 2018 Dodge Ram 1500. I currently run Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. They will need replacing before winter here soon and I'm looking for suggestions on tires to run. Looking for an AT tire that has good performance for mainly snow and wet traction. I will be running them year round. I'm just curious on people's opinions. Thank you in advance!
Just curious, I just bought Duratracs for my snow tires. Is there something about them you're not pleased about?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 98420 miles.

OP
OP
O

OttxRvinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Those Kenda's look pretty good ...probably great in mud, dirt and off-road tire. Side-biters and recessed bead are great features too.

I don't see a lot of sipes ...which would concern me for heavy winter/snow use. Winter tires usually have a good number of sipes, and dedicated snow tires have tons. See Cooper Winter Evolution (below). But if a guy isn't in Buffalo-type heavy snow, the Kenda tread blocks seem to have some space between them to hold a tad more snow. If ya look at those Multi-Mile tires I put on my plow truck, they have a pretty good number of sipes for a non-snow tire. :)

View attachment 528512
Thanks for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it! I'm going to have to sit down and come up with a few and narrow down from there. There's too many choices and I know I won't find the perfect tire for a year round application

OP
OP
O

OttxRvinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
Just curious, I just bought Duratracs for my snow tires. Is there something about them you're not pleased about?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 98420 miles.
No, not really other than the price. I'm looking at $316/tire. I'd like to spend less, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen. Both sets I have had have not lasted what Goodyear says they will. They are fantastic tires until you get around 30% life then braking seems off and wet traction definitely isn't there anymore. They got me through some tough winter storms, as well as the Blizzard of 22. I might wind up buying a 3rd set, but I'm just looking at exploring options is all! Definitely rotate them too!

Udy2554

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kenda Klever RTs are on my truck now! I live in Naples…just a hair south east of you! Grew up just outside Rochester!

My daughter’s Jeep Patriot had Falken AT3Ws! She loved them! They gave her great confidence in the snow, wether wet and slushy, dry and powdery, or icy roads!

Duratracs served me well on my Tacoma, but seemed to wear much faster on the full-size Ram!

My go-to winter only tire has been studded Nokian Hakkapelliitas! Just awesome!

Regarding the Kendas! They do not have the 3 peak mountain snowflake rating, BUT…only ONE size in all the sizes and different ratings didn’t pass the test! They haven’t publicized which size didn’t pass, so they decided not to change their ratings and left the emblem off all of them!

My hope is that they will perform well! If so, I will buy another set and have them pinned for winter only use!

The Hakkapelliitas are an AWESOME icy road tire, but not so great in deep snow off road!

Good luck in your search!

(For what it matters, the local Cooper dealer runs the Falken AT3Ws on his trucks!)

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, not really other than the price. I'm looking at $316/tire. I'd like to spend less, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen. Both sets I have had have not lasted what Goodyear says they will. They are fantastic tires until you get around 30% life then braking seems off and wet traction definitely isn't there anymore. They got me through some tough winter storms, as well as the Blizzard of 22. I might wind up buying a 3rd set, but I'm just looking at exploring options is all! Definitely rotate them too!
I paid $289 a piece for the LT275/65R18 Duratracs installed at my dealer. Road Force balance was $20 a piece. The local Goodyear store price was $329, plus all the extras.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 98443 miles.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know what size you need or what model G/Y youre looking at. I know THESE Wranglers $130 ea (-$50 sale) are great in the winter and snow from my past experience. 113-rates isn't real high, so decide if you want those. It if you're just a pavement pounder and occasional hauler, they'd work. 113's are what I had on my Ram for the last few yrs till last year and they worked fine. Check your truck's door sticker & manual if yer not sure.

Ok, if cost is a big concern, it's hard to beat Walmart on tires. They mount for free, and I think even disposal is no charge (verify that though in case I'm thinking backwards). That's where a lot of tire shops get ya ...the misc charges. Of course valve stems and balance is extra. A set of those Goodyear Wranglers out the door would be about $600 minus taxes. Where are you going to find a set of tires for that?!! LOL. Right now they're out of stock but keep your eye open.

Or a set of THESE Coopers which I have on my truck (and love them) for about $660 a set (taxes not incl). They ride great and I like them a lot. Theyre a 115 rated tire, so you can haul a little. If you want a 10-ply 123 rated tire than THESE would be good. Figure $730 a set. Like I say, most tire shops can't touch walmart when you figure the out-the-door price.

Check for fall sales.... Goodyear puts out some pretty good sales this time of year till Thanksgiving. Maybe you'll save some extra $$.

I agree with Dusty ...on the Road Force balance tires. I have mine mounted by Walmart and take them to my buddy at the GM garage to Road Force balance them. It's worth the $$

Last edited:

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Albany NY area, and I run Cooper AT3 4S, make sure its the 4S as they are a true 4 season tire and are great in the snow compared to the wranglers.
I did stay with factor size as that is the only one with a "P" rate and I did not want the stiff ride of an LT. I had the older version of the AT3 4S, aka: ATW+4 that were Lts on my F150 FX4 SCrew and they were a much firmer ride over stock P rates tires.

OP
OP
O

OttxRvinn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
I don't know what size you need or what model G/Y youre looking at. I know THESE Wranglers $130 ea (-$50 sale) are great in the winter and snow from my past experience. 113-rates isn't real high, so decide if you want those. It if you're just a pavement pounder and occasional hauler, they'd work. 113's are what I had on my Ram for the last few yrs till last year and they worked fine. Check your truck's door sticker & manual if yer not sure.

Ok, if cost is a big concern, it's hard to beat Walmart on tires. They mount for free, and I think even disposal is no charge (verify that though in case I'm thinking backwards). That's where a lot of tire shops get ya ...the misc charges. Of course valve stems and balance is extra. A set of those Goodyear Wranglers out the door would be about $600 minus taxes. Where are you going to find a set of tires for that?!! LOL. Right now they're out of stock but keep your eye open.

Or a set of THESE Coopers which I have on my truck (and love them) for about $660 a set (taxes not incl). They ride great and I like them a lot. Theyre a 115 rated tire, so you can haul a little. If you want a 10-ply 123 rated tire than THESE would be good. Figure $730 a set. Like I say, most tire shops can't touch walmart when you figure the out-the-door price.

Check for fall sales.... Goodyear puts out some pretty good sales this time of year till Thanksgiving. Maybe you'll save some extra $$.

I agree with Dusty ...on the Road Force balance tires. I have mine mounted by Walmart and take them to my buddy at the GM garage to Road Force balance them. It's worth the $$
Thank you sir. I'm looking to keep my tires stock which are 275/60R20 which the 20" rims are a killer in pricing. I can get tires pretty cheap through this one place out by me, but it seems every time I go cheap I regret it. Lol! For instance, I can get the Fallen Wildpeaks about $245/tire through this one place and all of the other places they're between $290 - $300. Price isn't too much of a concern. I'm just trying to shop around a bit more now but I'm willing to pay extra for better quality vs pay down the line is all. I'll check into Walmart and the roadforce balance as I don't believe I have ever had that done before

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cool! There are a lot of good tire places and many decent tires avail these days. Keep looking. Buy what tickles your fancy and fits your needs/budget. Let us know what you get.
Happy truckin'!:favorites13:

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I sure do wish the manufactures would go back to a narrower tire with the same heights. These wide tires just ride up on top of every thing and lose traction.
I've always liked a 25 or 245 mm tire width.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I sure do wish the manufactures would go back to a narrower tire with the same heights. These wide tires just ride up on top of every thing and lose traction.
I've always liked a 25 or 245 mm tire width.
People nowadays look at the "skinny" tires on a WWII Jeep or WC and wonder how the heck they were so effective in various terrain.

Of course, most auto manufacturers are using much wider wheel widths which make it difficult to go to a narrower tire.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 98528 miles.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Except those skinny tires also meant lousy road-holding and cornering performance. Ever watch those older car reviews doing the slolom? :D

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
Except those skinny tires also meant lousy road-holding and cornering performance. Ever watch those older car reviews doing the slolom? :D
Well I'm past my slalom racing day, and I'd prefer my road holding ability to be available in poor traction conditions.
I don't see many smooth clean roads around for those low profile hi g corning capable tires, and they don't don't work as well as a higher profile tire does in pot holes , washboarded rough road and then throw in a bit of mud or slush or snow or ice.
The 7.50-16 or 18's were good tires, then the 235 or 245 75, 80 or 85 series tires were decent. One of the better sets of tires I've had recently (10 years or so) were some 245/75R16's I would love to have some good 245/75 or 245/80R18's for my current RAM.

Gussers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the same boat as you. My 2014 1500 Laramie is running on baloney skins at the moment, while I fret over which tire to buy. Truck came with the SR-As and they totally sucked. Worst tire in rain I've ever owned. I was choosing between the Dynapros and the Wildpeaks. The Wildpeaks won out at the time and I got a good 50K out of them. I am looking at them now and the prices have gone up a LOT since I bought the last pair. But, I can't say a bad thing about them. They were terrific in snow, rain and off road. They've been beaten up, scuffed, and never showed any scars. The Coopers have me intrigued as they are quite a bit cheaper at the moment. I also have a friend who is very pleased with the Pirelli Scorpions. The tread looked pretty good on them and we drove in the car for 5-6 hours together - at least as quiet as my Falkens. So, all of those are on my list, if that helps you any.