Best way to remove tree sap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
NO smart ass remarks Please!
Whats the best way to remove tree sap from my truck and keep it from sticking again?
I know i have to wash and clay bar this truck then use a ceramic wax coat.
But how can I keep it from sticking again?
My truck lives outside. No garage or carport to keep it in.

Black 20 Ram

Mike R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as removal, use isopropyl alcohol. Doesn’t harm finish. Depending on type of sap, may require buffing but is what detailed used on my car after an incident with sitting under a cedar tree.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure about a product to keep if from sticking but Goo-gone works well to remove tree sap, adhesive, and other sticky stuff.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Are we talking pine sap? That’s what’s bothered me most is pine resin. I’ve had success with about any solvent, paint thinner, alcohol, brake cleaner, WD40. Goo Gone too, it’s slower and more gentle I suppose. I use a soft cotton cloth fragment to avoid scratching the paint.

In my experience any good wax or sealer will inhibit sticking -for a while- but is there something good enough you can just wipe off resin with a dry rag and walk away? Or leave it and wash it off? I’ll be interested to hear if there’s something that good.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
NO smart ass remarks Please!
Whats the best way to remove tree sap from my truck and keep it from sticking again?
I know i have to wash and clay bar this truck then use a ceramic wax coat.
But how can I keep it from sticking again?
My truck lives outside. No garage or carport to keep it in.

Black 20 Ram
I agree with the suggestions you've gotten. If there is a chance in continued sap - why not but a cover.

While I enjoy cleaning, waxing my truck. I'd rather do that because I want to not because I have to. I'd say a quality truck cover is worth the time frustration, and avoiding possible paint damage.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I get sap stuck to mine too even with sealant and wax on it. It is easier to remove, but still takes a clay bar and elbow grease vs just a wash mit and car wash. @Graygoose nailed it. Good car cover is another option, but not practical as it requires more effort to cover and uncover frequently on a daily driver vs a quick pass with a clay bar every wash.There's products out there, but they usually have to sit briefly or still require rubbing so I just stick to clay.

Stunt Steve

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the suggestions on this thread. I’ve got sap all over the front of my truck and detailers are quoting too much.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've always used HOT water and dawn dish soap, I've never had anything that it wouldn't take off.

It should never require "effort". Let the heat/soap do the work. If you're pushing down, you're increasing your chance of scratching your clear.

Also, you might try a cleaner wax. I've used Mother's products with much success as well.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Warning--if you use Dawn dish soap it will also strip all the wax and polish you have on the truck, leaving the paint "naked"(no protection).
Jay