Better flowing intake for 5.7 w/Ecodiesel lower airbox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOLER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Recommendation to anyone doing this... order 4 "latches" with this. Extra $20 bucks, but you'll save your old box. I broke all the plastic mounting parts on my old box. But it was either order 4 latches and wait for them... or rip them off my old box now. $20 and wait for latches...or get it done now, and if I ever need the old one... it's $35.

I like the mod. Glad the Vararam is gone (only because dirt was getting past the filter).

Thanks again HEMI395.

Soler

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Recommendation to anyone doing this... order 4 "latches" with this. Extra $20 bucks, but you'll save your old box. I broke all the plastic mounting parts on my old box. But it was either order 4 latches and wait for them... or rip them off my old box now. $20 and wait for latches...or get it done now, and if I ever need the old one... it's $35.

I like the mod. Glad the Vararam is gone (only because dirt was getting past the filter).

Thanks again HEMI395.

Soler
I agree, just get the 4 latches when you get the box. Well worth it because getting those off the old one is a pain...

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I broke my box taking them off too, first one I was kinda pissed then I figured WTH, never going back to the Hemi box anyway so I broke the others, got it done and trashed the old box.

W4RL0CK

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, just get the 4 latches when you get the box. Well worth it because getting those off the old one is a pain...
This is what I did. Now I just need to install it.:D

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I had no problems getting the old ones off of mine, other than the fact that the first one sailed across the driveway when it popped loose. (I found it though) :)

-K

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have the VARARAM on my truck right now, but don't like it because when I take the filter off, there is dust on the plastic housing, and I'm sure some is getting in the engine, so it's coming off.

Wow wow wow, you found dirt behind the Vararam's filter?? I think I saw a Youtube video talking about that too! Has anyone else found dirt behind the filter on their Vararam Air Grabber? I want one of those Vararam's, they are super cool, but if you are seeing visible particulates that means there is a lot of stuff going into the chambers. That'll tear a bore up.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow wow wow, you found dirt behind the Vararam's filter?? I think I saw a Youtube video talking about that too! Has anyone else found dirt behind the filter on their Vararam Air Grabber? I want one of those Vararam's, they are super cool, but if you are seeing visible particulates that means there is a lot of stuff going into the chambers. That'll tear a bore up.
And this is exactly why I got rid of mine. I loved the look of it and it was a great conversation piece but on mine the filter kept popping out of the base which let dust inside. I tried everything from thicker weatherstripping to tightening the hell out of the lid. It kept popping out so off it came.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
And this is exactly why I got rid of mine. I loved the look of it and it was a great conversation piece but on mine the filter kept popping out of the base which let dust inside. I tried everything from thicker weatherstripping to tightening the hell out of the lid. It kept popping out so off it came.

When was this? Did you get in touch with Vararam about it? Was it popping out because the wing nuts or bolts wouldn't stay tight or because the plastic base and/or lid was flexing? Is this a common occurrence with other trucks two?

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When was this? Did you get in touch with Vararam about it? Was it popping out because the wing nuts or bolts wouldn't stay tight or because the plastic base and/or lid was flexing? Is this a common occurrence with other trucks two?
This was a couple years ago. Yep I contacted them and they were very helpful. Ended up talking to them on the phone, they really are good guys and do try to help. They gave me some tips on how to lower it so it wasn't pressed up against the hood as much but still sealed. That helped but it still would happen here and there if the engine torqued a lot like if I was towing. So yeah I believe it was because the engine would move and with the unit was pressed up against the hood, the base flexed just enough to pop the filter out of the base. I tried tightening the wing nuts way more than they recommended and it worked but the lid was starting to cave on the top. I found myself checking it after every drive and that gets old real quick. Couple that with it raising my trans temps because the air dam on it blocked the trans cooler and I just got fed up with it and sold it.

However many people run these with no problems whatsoever but the filter popping out of the base is a complaint I've seen several times on the FB groups.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well that is really unfortunate because it looks super cool. I wonder if a hump hose instead of straight coupler on the throttlebody would help? I tow and run about 170 on the trans temps and don't want to see any hotter, so that is a problem too. I'd probably put a bigger pan on the trans to bandaid the temp issue with the cooler being partially obstructed, but I'm still wondering how it's better than a stock box with a high flow filter, since it is technically "ram air" too? My stock air box Diablo logs show IATs that are within 5* of ambient.

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that is really unfortunate because it looks super cool. I wonder if a hump hose instead of straight coupler on the throttlebody would help? I tow and run about 170 on the trans temps and don't want to see any hotter, so that is a problem too. I'd probably put a bigger pan on the trans to bandaid the temp issue with the cooler being partially obstructed, but I'm still wondering how it's better than a stock box with a high flow filter, since it is technically "ram air" too? My stock air box Diablo logs show IATs that are within 5* of ambient.
You get a little bit more throttle response with it but it really shines on the highway going 60 or more. If you're towing and need to pass it really helps with that because it's a ram air setup. But for me, it just wasn't worth it. The stock airbox is pretty decent, I just don't like how obstructed the inlet duct is to the wheel well area. There's a fender support right in the way which has to cut down airflow some. But like you, with the stock airbox it hover around 5* above ambient so it definitely gets cool air from the fender.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yeah, but we aren't talking about a valve seat/bowl area here. I doubt very much that the fender support bracing restricts enough to matter, especially when the fender area is so big and so full of air. I hadn't even looked and had no idea that the airbox got air like that. The inside of the fender has a larger opening than outlet, so it's going to pressurize slightly at speed, and it's going to hold way more air than the engine will need. I think I'm going to leave it alone and see how it looks after doing SRT8 cam and long tubes. I'd be shocked if the stock box wasn't enough for that. I don't like dirt particles getting into my engine.

TxRam121

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not sure im doing anything Just yet. But i would eventually like to get a Tune and some other stuff down the road just doing research . for now would this mod be better than wasting $ on a CAI or ram air intake. im thinking it would.
get the the lower box+ boot , removing carbon filter and getting a cheapo drop in aem dry filter?

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added this to it recently. I'm not sure if it's just a placebo, but I think I could tell the difference. Especially in the upper RPMs.

Capture.PNG

TxRam121

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I added this to it recently. I'm not sure if it's just a placebo, but I think I could tell the difference. Especially in the upper RPMs.

View attachment 236910
ill look into this.
for those with 2020-21 models
i see there is 2 part numbers for the same kit any one know why and whats different on the 2 ?
301-780
300-780

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ill look into this.
for those with 2020-21 models
i see there is 2 part numbers for the same kit any one know why and whats different on the 2 ?
301-780
300-780

On one, you get a dry flow filter, on the other, you get an oiled one (like a K&N). I personally got the oiled one because I travel "Up North" several times a year and it's all dirt roads up there.

TxRam121

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i ended up not getting the kit and went the lower box / air boot and drop in aem filter. parts from oem part source shipped came to 67$. add the Aem Dry drop in filter amazon for 44$ shipped . 111$ total. i can live with that . being on another forum i did mention later on down the road ( couple years) once warranty is out. i will likely end up doing the 6.4L intake manifold / jays tune and long tubes no reason to spend another 144$ extra when i wont be able to use any of the parts then being on the 6.4L truck intake manifold the TB sits different so the 5.7L box or aftermarket CAI will not work .

*** EDIT- NOTE IF YOU HAVE A 2021 the lower intake box / boot will not work. the 2020+ part may but its 170$+ not worth it .

Last edited: