Better Halogen Headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What's the best option for new halogen bulbs for quad lights? Can't justify a full headlight swap in this truck (company vehicle) and won't do a drop in HID kit without projectors, so I need something better than the stock bulbs. Are Sylvania Silverstars the best out there or is there anything better?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I just put the Sylvania SilverStar zXe's in my lights and they are very bright.

Wrigley17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do they have a blue tint to them or are they white? I'm interested in this as well

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got Silverstar Ultra's in my highs and they are BRIGHT! (white light). Not sure about lows though.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Swap the h11 for h9, easy mod

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Not to mention the H11's are a pain in the ass to find.. At least in my area. I went to 5 stores to get my hands on one... they didn't even have 2 so they matched.. drives me nuts.

But also went with the SilverStar Ultra. and its alot brighter white light than what was in there already. I also had these on my 07 QCSB and they were brighter than the PIAA replacement bulbs a buddy put in his 05 for twice the $$$

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I originally used Philips Crystal Vision Ultras. I think they are the best halogen bulbs. I have since replaced the lows and dogs with LEDs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had Silverstars on my last truck and I loved them. Tried Wagner True Views before that and they were better than stock but nowhere near as good as Silverstars.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
LED drop ins?

I think he's getting a 2015 and at this point I've read of 2 people who have gotten leds to work. Plus being a company vehicle I don't imagine he's looking to drop a couple hundred on getting leds to work.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I think he's getting a 2015 and at this point I've read of 2 people who have gotten leds to work. Plus being a company vehicle I don't imagine he's looking to drop a couple hundred on getting leds to work.

I think they have a solution on the other forum.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ICZTVHFOWXCOI&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

There also cheaper on amazon.

It's been a while since I priced Silverstars but aren't they like $50. So LEDs don't seem that expensive.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Also I'm not sure what modification needs to be done to the dust cover on the quads to get them to fit. I know on the projectors the cover needs to be modified.

OP
OP
myoung84

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
LED's would be cool, but not if it requires a lot of modifications to make it work and I don't have a lot of time to be troubleshooting if they don't work. Truck is a 2016 so I'm not sure what would work, I know they get harder to deal with every year.

The Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra look like they may be a good choice.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
LED's would be cool, but not if it requires a lot of modifications to make it work and I don't have a lot of time to be troubleshooting if they don't work. Truck is a 2016 so I'm not sure what would work, I know they get harder to deal with every year.

The Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra look like they may be a good choice.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I used these in my last two trucks and my fiance's Altima. Big improvement over factory and offer a nice white light. I actually replaced Silverstar Ultras in my last truck with these.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really should look up the test on different lights - SilverStars are WHITER, not BRIGHTER - it is just a placebo effect. Because of the coating on the lens of the light, you will lose output.

I have a set of SS Ultras in my Charger and I refuse to drive it at night. Yes, they are whiter light, but I lost so much distance in output that at 50mph, I am over driving the lights...

There is a member on lxforums that does actual testing on this stuff for a living and one of his tests a few years back compared almost every type of halogen light out there for color (kelvin/temperature), lumens and distance output. The results basically put the stock H10 bulbs that were in the LX cars as #2 with the Phillips HIR bulbs at #1. Basically, the options were to modify for HIR bulbs or switch to a projector housing with HID upgrade.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am really glad myoung84 posted this topic. I read this thread with great interest, currently all $pent up Ram wize. I left the priority item last ( headlights ) LOL, I also would like a drop in solution to the Ford model T candles that we have currently in our stock quads.

Wont the extra watts do any damage or strain to the system if going the h9 route? I remember many moons ago, for my stock halogen BMW e36 headlights, we could actually use 100W hi beams , the loom and harness could mathematically take the load . With hi beam, I am refering to when you pull the stalk to flash someone.

EDIT, Eff it, cant be bothered - just read the DIY posted above. If I am gonna take the headlights out for just a bulb change then I will just wait for new headlights. Then did someone mentioned alignment?

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am really glad myoung84 posted this topic. I read this thread with great interest, currently all $pent up Ram wize. I left the priority item last ( headlights ) LOL, I also would like a drop in solution to the Ford model T candles that we have currently in our stock quads.

Wont the extra watts do any damage or strain to the system if going the h9 route? I remember many moons ago, for my stock halogen BMW e36 headlights, we could actually use 100W hi beams , the loom and harness could mathematically take the load . With hi beam, I am refering to when you pull the stalk to flash someone.
I think I read in another thread that the only danger is they run hotter. I could be mis-remembering though.