Bilstein install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys,

Trying to compress my OEM strut and remove the shock bolt, but it is rusted and literally stripping appart.
Anyone else have this issue, and what did you end up doing ??
Literally everything on this truck is a bunch of rust at this point and its only a 2012 with 80k miles.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
liquid wrench on EVERYTHING. a little heat might help also. I hope you are using six-sided sockets, not 12s. 12s just round bolts for you.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
liquid wrench on EVERYTHING. a little heat might help also. I hope you are using six-sided sockets, not 12s. 12s just round bolts for you.

I have a 6 side with a pass through wrench, but it so rusted there is nothing to grab on to, that was before I even started. Soaked it with liquid wrench for a few nights first.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you talking about the top nut to remove the cap and spring. If your compressor has done its job and there is room, cut that SOB off! Make sure that spring compressor is good though, if not you have a missile ready to fire.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you talking about the top nut to remove the cap and spring. If your compressor has done its job and there is room, cut that SOB off! Make sure that spring compressor is good though, if not you have a missile ready to fire.
Yes, talking about that bolt.
Rented a compressor from Autozone... haha not sure how strong it is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, talking about that bolt.
Rented a compressor from Autozone... haha not sure how strong it is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you can move the spring up and down on the strut you have enough compression. Get a cut off wheel and get to throwing sparks.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can move the spring up and down on the strut you have enough compression. Get a cut off wheel and get to throwing sparks.

Nice, got a grinder already. Good tip!

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
if you have access to another vehicle, you could also find a place that would do the disassembly/reassembly for you for a nominal fee. If the inner shaft spinning and that's why you can't break that nut free?

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you have access to another vehicle, you could also find a place that would do the disassembly/reassembly for you for a nominal fee. If the inner shaft spinning and that's why you can't break that nut free?

Not its not spinning, everytime I try and grip the bolt with a socket it just keeps breaking apart more and more. I can actually just run my finger around the edge of it and it starts stripping.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pictures are great in times like these
:) Will snap some tonight.
Thanks for the feedback regardless.
I didn't even think of using the grinder, I can get that puppy off in no time if I have the clearance.

1985 W350

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Blue" wrench (Oxy/A), CRC FreezeOff "chill" (or a fire extinguisher, other "chill" means), wash, rinse repeat --- goal is to get the metallurgy acting behaving like a rubber band on the temperature front.......

Use SIX POINT tools only too........

if that doesn't work go for the soaking with ATF/Acetone (lay rags over it to keep the Acetone evaporation down)......................

Last resort is to MIG on that stripped down nut (if possible)........I typically move up the size scale and MIG the bigger nut "around" the old one..........cleanliness is critical here with that process (MIG)..........alternatively you can stick (6010 rods) that nut to it --- those rods don't mind rust, dirt, etc...........

Last edited:

mike19950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I did mine I eventually had to hammer on a size smaller socket and grip the shaft of the old strut with vice grips and let the impact loose on it. Was a little frustrating but they gave up.

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I did mine I eventually had to hammer on a size smaller socket and grip the shaft of the old strut with vice grips and let the impact loose on it. Was a little frustrating but they gave up.

how did you get the nut out of the socket once it came off... or was that just a throw away at that point lol

mike19950

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
how did you get the nut out of the socket once it came off... or was that just a throw away at that point lol
I used a punch or screwdriver to hammer it back out the other way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk