Bilstein level, but now twitchy steering & wandering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ohengineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,
Are we seeing common complaints of twitchy steering or "wandering" after level kit install? I've got 5100's up front set at 2.8" (I think..I have a terrible memory), and my steering is really twitchy now at highway speeds, and I find it wandering occasionally even at low speeds. If I have to I'll set the system up in SusProg and take a look at the effects this had but I figured I'd approach the hive mind first!

Unfortunately, no caster adjustment on the 1500 so I can't do anything there..

Thanks!

14blackouthemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dumb question but did you put the spring cup/perch/seat on the bottom on the right way?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have mine set @ 2.8 and no problems, it drives just the same as before they were installed. I'm assuming you did get it aligned after you installed them...

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
You have to align after the install just like stimpy said if not you'll be all over the place. Even if you notch it up some or some down either direction you have to align each time.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
mine are set at 2.1 and no twitchy steering or wandering

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Me too. Bilstein's up front set at 2.1, front alignment, no problems that ive noticed

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine are at 2.8 and its smooth as factory.

You need an alignment, are you sure everything is tightened properly, and are you 100% sure they are installed correct. I see a thread every few months where the spring perch is upside down which compresses the heck out of the spring and makes it very stiff which would be very "active" on bumps and imperfections in the road

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Set at 2.8 and the steering feels fine. I had the alignment done but I do "wander" to the left ever so slightly but I'm not sure if it's the alignment or if it's the Trail Grapplers.. there's a bunch of posts about trail grapplers walking left so the jury is out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
May just be the rack and pinion steering, I think fabtech is the only one who makes a steering stabilizer but don't quote me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same setup here. A proper alignment to factory specs and no wandering etc. feels just like factory.

OP
OP
O

ohengineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the replies, all.
The shocks and spring perches are definitely installed correctly, I was an ASE Master tech before moving on to the corporate world :) Alignment was done, I can tell it's slightly off but not enough to do this.

The Ackerman is unchanged with this, but maybe I've got a tie rod binding or something dumb.
As I said, figured I'd ask those who've driven theirs for their experiences before crawling under.

Thanks all!

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies, all.
The shocks and spring perches are definitely installed correctly, I was an ASE Master tech before moving on to the corporate world :) Alignment was done, I can tell it's slightly off but not enough to do this.

The Ackerman is unchanged with this, but maybe I've got a tie rod binding or something dumb.
As I said, figured I'd ask those who've driven theirs for their experiences before crawling under.

Thanks all!

I am confused on a couple statements you made....
The caster cannot be adjusted on our trucks.
The alignment was done but you can tell its off.

I think you need to get it aligned again. All things are pointing to the alignment not being in spec. Especially if you're sure everything has been installed correctly. And you even said you can tell the alignment is off!
Also, I am not positive, but I think there is some adjustment in the caster angle of these trucks.

Last edited:

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same setup at 2.8 up front (although I did switch to Zone upper arms) and also raised the rear with stiffer variable rate springs and Bilsteins to keep the factory rake or close to it.

I have noticed mine wandering a bit when the front tires (35s) are at a high pressure or when I have a good size load in the bed causing the truck to sit nose high. Check your tire pressures and maybe drop them a bit to see if that helps.

2015RamWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He is 5.7
Set at 2.8 and the steering feels fine. I had the alignment done but I do "wander" to the left ever so slightly but I'm not sure if it's the alignment or if it's the Trail Grapplers.. there's a bunch of posts about trail grapplers walking left so the jury is out

Is your sitting level at 2.8 or did you have to add a block in the back?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8

It sits level per the tape measure and looks level most of the time.. at some angles it can look nose high

I like it though, looks badass and I only tow small boats in the summer so I don't need a rake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8

Also.. I would of kicked myself everyday if I went 2.1 and it just didn't look level enough

2015RamWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He is 5.7
Thanks man I appreciate it I think that's what I'm gonna do and then add air bags in the back for when I haul my camper

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Hi all,
Are we seeing common complaints of twitchy steering or "wandering" after level kit install? I've got 5100's up front set at 2.8" (I think..I have a terrible memory), and my steering is really twitchy now at highway speeds, and I find it wandering occasionally even at low speeds. If I have to I'll set the system up in SusProg and take a look at the effects this had but I figured I'd approach the hive mind first!

Unfortunately, no caster adjustment on the 1500 so I can't do anything there..

Thanks!

So did you ever figure your truck out and get the twitch out of the steering. ?
Mine is twichty at hwy speeds and was with the stock tires and still with my 35s.
i have had my front end aligned twice after I leveled it and both times I was told is was dead on.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve noticed that mine gets a bit twitchy with a load in the bed. Basically whenever weight shifts off the front and more towards the rear.