Bilstein shock movement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mitag3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So roughly 1 year ago I did the front Bilstein 5100's on my 2014 Ram 1500 Express 4x4. I set them up at 2.1" of lift, have had no problems since. Yesterday I noticed some squeaking driving down the road and after investigating I noticed the shaft of the strut was sticking up quite a ways higher on the passenger side than the driver side (under vehicle weight). The spring cup is still in the normal spot so the truck is still sitting level but the squeak is quite annoying and I'm sure this amount of movement will cause damage eventually. For reference the top of the strut bolt setup on the driver side is basically flush, which the passenger side will return to when the vehicle is jacked up and the weight is removed from that spring.

I can't upload the videos at the moment, may try and upload them to YouTube and link them but basically when I jack the front passenger wheel up I can watch the strut move slightly side to side and raise up that roughly half inch, returning when I lower the wheel back down. No play in bottom bolt of strut, and all 3 bolts holding the upper assembly in position are tight. Any ideas?

Under vehicle weight
IMG_2998.jpg

Under vehicle weight 2
IMG_3001.jpg

Vehicle lifted
IMG_3007.jpg

Vehicle lifted 2
IMG_3008.jpg

scott68fl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 Pentastar
Looks like it's missing the washer that goes under the cup that prevents it from traveling up like that?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Looks like it's missing the washer that goes under the cup that prevents it from traveling up like that?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

YEP.

OP
OP
M

Mitag3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Soo we're thinking maybe the washer corroded and broke off freeing the strut to move up and down? Was planning on taking the assembly out on Thursday and digging into it. Been awhile since I did the install so I can't really think of which washer it would be, is it the large one in this picture?

stockstrut.jpg

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The washer is still there. The hole thru your strut mount (cup) is probably oblong from the strut rubbing on it, the washer eventually made its way thru. Waiting for it to happen on mine. Crap design by bilstein if you ask me

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The washer doesn’t look damaged I doubt it was pushed thru, my guess is it was installed wrong with the washer on top instead of underneath. I think the shaft pushed its way thru the top mount leaving that washer/nut as we see it.

Post a pic showing that nut of the side that’s not bad

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMG_1785.jpg I agree with JB1. That washer is to prevent what looks like happened . All to often that washer gets installed under the nut which is wrong . Over time the shaft will make its way through which the washer is there to prevent when installed correctly. If you get it all back together coat that nut and threads with a thick coat of Disc brake lube . You will be very happy you did if you ever have to remove that nut again.

Last edited:

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
When I installed my Bils last year, I noticed the washer just a little wider than the hole the shaft goes through. Wonder why they didn't make the washer wider, this guaranteeing the washer doesn't push through the top hat hole.

OP
OP
M

Mitag3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I installed my Bils last year, I noticed the washer just a little wider than the hole the shaft goes through. Wonder why they didn't make the washer wider, this guaranteeing the washer doesn't push through the top hat hole.

I'm pretty confident I just installed them wrong and put the washer on top of the hole. I'm hoping to take it apart tomorrow (pending storm) and put the washer on the correct side. May need to go buy some bigger washers now if it wallowed the hole out but we'll see.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
The washer doesn’t look damaged I doubt it was pushed thru, my guess is it was installed wrong with the washer on top instead of underneath. I think the shaft pushed its way thru the top mount leaving that washer/nut as we see it.

Post a pic showing that nut of the side that’s not bad
This looks identical to another members Bils that were installed by a shop wrong. They had put the washer under the nut. The shaft wore through the top hat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: JB1

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plenty of thread there to add a larger flat washer on top of the correct washer to assure it not going through.

OP
OP
M

Mitag3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plenty of thread there to add a larger flat washer on top of the correct washer to assure it not going through.

Yep thats exactly what I did today, added a larger washer that I ground down until it just barely fit in the now oblong hole. Disassembly was a nightmare. Metal seemed super soft, twisted the allen head end almost off. Tried flattening it and holding the top with vice grips and almost tore that off. Ended up cutting the nut off and going to get a new one.

If anyone else has to go this route, the nut is 12 x 1.5mm.

I ended up cutting a piece of rubber hose and clamping the hell out of the shaft at the top of the cylinder and using an impact to drive the nut on.

Also went ahead and picked up some steel rod and welded in small sections to lengthen my sway bar end links to return that geometry to normal. Now if I can ever get a Mevotech UCA for the passenger side front i'll raise my Bilsteins to 2.8". For now all is back together and good again at 2.1" and it rides as smooth as ever. Thanks for the help.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Usually a pair of vice grips and an impact pulls the nut right off for me. Like I said before coat everything with synthetic disc brake caliper lube and the next time is a breeze, no rust at all. I think I have had mine apart 6 times so far just readjusting for my needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
M

Mitag3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I tried that as well but apparently my vice grips weren't big enough lol had my dad bring over his considerably larger ones when putting it back together and it was a breeze.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I'm pretty confident I just installed them wrong and put the washer on top of the hole. I'm hoping to take it apart tomorrow (pending storm) and put the washer on the correct side. May need to go buy some bigger washers now if it wallowed the hole out but we'll see.

So you're saying you drove the truck for 1 year without noticing any problems or sounds with the washer installed incorrectly?

OP
OP
M

Mitag3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you're saying you drove the truck for 1 year without noticing any problems or sounds with the washer installed incorrectly?

That is correct, and the driver side is not even showing any movement at all installed the same incorrect way. Going to take it apart and fix it Monday regardless though.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

it takes a while for the strut shaft to bust thru the metal if you install it incorrectly, the strut shaft diameter is slightly larger than the hole

Last edited: