Bit off more than I can chew!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just bought more trailer than I really wanted. It had been taken care of so well & the price was great so I couldn't pass it up. I drive a 16 2500 with the 3.73's & the 6.4. The trailer's gross is about a 1,000lbs more than my truck's gross. I plan on re-gearing this winter to the 4.56's which will get me in a better place for moving it around. So far all that I have done to prepare for this monster is a B&W slider hitch & some tow mirrors. Considering some air bags. Running out of money quickly but is there anything else that I need (not want)? After I bring it home, I want to go through the brakes a bearings right away. On any kind of trailer, I never trust that the previous owner has taken care of the bearings. Most of the time I clean & re-pack them frontpassenger.jpg right away. If it needs brakes there goes some more money, but both of these are needs not a wants.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Nice! My wife and I will be buying a 5er a few years down the road. The ones we have looked are very comfy. The heaviest one we looked at weighed in at almost 17,000lbs.
What is the weight on your?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, what's the weight of that tank? :)

My 5th can weigh as much as 11,500# when totally loaded and I pull it with your same truck and gears. Air bags are a really nice addition although it still does okay without them. Mainly, they just stiffen up the hinge between the trailer and truck and reduce rythmic bouncing that can develop over bumps and uneven roads.

The B/W slider hitch is great.... but heavy. I believe mine weighs around 225# which is kind of a lot when trying to pinch payload pounds. Pretty much any slider is going to be heavy though.

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Congratulations! :) That 5th Wheel looks absolutely great, and should provide a lot of comfortable camping.

Whatever you do, and regardless of how much you spend, bear in mind there is an old (but very true) saying: "Most anything will pull most anything." The other side of that is that not everything will do so efficiently and safely. In an urgent/emergent braking situation, if the truck is prone to being "driven" by the trailer/5th Wheel, there will be a serious problem.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's amazing how much these srw HD trucks can pull. For example.legally pulling just over 21500lbs 20181104_120135.jpg

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I just bought more trailer than I really wanted. It had been taken care of so well & the price was great so I couldn't pass it up. I drive a 16 2500 with the 3.73's & the 6.4. The trailer's gross is about a 1,000lbs more than my truck's gross. I plan on re-gearing this winter to the 4.56's which will get me in a better place for moving it around. So far all that I have done to prepare for this monster is a B&W slider hitch & some tow mirrors. Considering some air bags. Running out of money quickly but is there anything else that I need (not want)? After I bring it home, I want to go through the brakes a bearings right away. On any kind of trailer, I never trust that the previous owner has taken care of the bearings. Most of the time I clean & re-pack them View attachment 174905 right away. If it needs brakes there goes some more money, but both of these are needs not a wants.
Beautiful. Agree on the 4.56s and consider the LSD if you don’t have.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Off topic... what color is your truck? I don’t think I have seen it before. Cool and different!
i think it's power tan or as I call it metallic baby ****. It's not my personal truck just one of the fleet trucks. I do like the colour though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah, what's the weight of that tank? :)

My 5th can weigh as much as 11,500# when totally loaded and I pull it with your same truck and gears. Air bags are a really nice addition although it still does okay without them. Mainly, they just stiffen up the hinge between the trailer and truck and reduce rythmic bouncing that can develop over bumps and uneven roads.

The B/W slider hitch is great.... but heavy. I believe mine weighs around 225# which is kind of a lot when trying to pinch payload pounds. Pretty much any slider is going to be heavy though.

This thing is 11,500 unloaded & grosses at about 13,500. Like I said it is bigger than what I was looking at but the older gentleman that owned it, has taken great care of it. It's an 06 & looks like it is only 4 or 5 years old!
I am the kind of guy that likes to spec things a little better/bigger than what I actually need. When I ordered this thing I was only planning on pulling a 4,500lb. boat & a utility trailer with the occasional 5-6,000lb. load. Now I got this camper & just barely enough truck.:eek: And I don't even want to think about getting a new truck with the Cummins. All vehicles out there, are way over priced right now. And the manufacturers are wondering why sales are way down?!? About 6 months ago I saw a equally equipped 1/2 ton that was $5,000 more than what I paid for my 2500 Outdoorsman.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
i think it's power tan or as I call it metallic baby ****. It's not my personal truck just one of the fleet trucks. I do like the colour though.
Metallic baby ****! You made me spill my beer! :anitoof:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I would say air bags are a must. I put the Airlift 7500s on my 6.4 2500, and it handled the load fantastic. But, before I got in too deep, I would put all your stuff in the trailer, and fill the fresh tank, then head for a CAT Scale to get the actual weight. You may end up with more pin weight than you bargained for. That's what happened to me, and I ended up over the weight rating of the tires. Not saying you will, but before you dump a ton of money in the truck, it's cheap to scale it.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, the 4.56 would be a good idea. That would essentially put it (at max of 13,500#) within the specs of the truck's pulling ability. I think it maxes at 15,500 with the 4.10s.

Payload could be another story. You could be pushing upwards of 3000# on the pin when loaded up. Plus the hitch, plus other things and people in the truck. My newer tires have a max of 7200# combined which is an improvement over the stock ones. I think GVWR might be out the window :) You will probably be able to stay within RAWR of 6500# but a lot depends on how heavy the pin is on that behemoth.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would say air bags are a must. I put the Airlift 7500s on my 6.4 2500, and it handled the load fantastic. But, before I got in too deep, I would put all your stuff in the trailer, and fill the fresh tank, then head for a CAT Scale to get the actual weight. You may end up with more pin weight than you bargained for. That's what happened to me, and I ended up over the weight rating of the tires. Not saying you will, but before you dump a tome of money in the truck, it's cheap to scale it.

I have to run over to Indiana to pick it up. On the way home I will pass a few scales so I am going to pull in & get an idea of what's on the truck & trailer empty. I think I will have about a 1,000lbs. that can go in the trailer. I am pretty sure my payload will nearly be maxed out. Yeah after I get a couple more paychecks in the bank I will throw some bags under it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
As you well know, the most important thing is not to exceed your grawr. I prefer to be within all my limits with margin to spare, but I've been over payload but under grawr and had no issues whatsoever.

Good call on scaling it so you know exactly where and what your weights are. Since you have a 5ver and no ability to use a wdh, you very likely will need air bags to return the weight to the steer axle so you have good traction and braking from that steer axle.

Good luck man and congrats! She's a beast!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Off topic... what color is your truck? I don’t think I have seen it before. Cool and different!
I think that is that Walnut brown color...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just bought more trailer than I really wanted. It had been taken care of so well & the price was great so I couldn't pass it up. I drive a 16 2500 with the 3.73's & the 6.4. The trailer's gross is about a 1,000lbs more than my truck's gross. I plan on re-gearing this winter to the 4.56's which will get me in a better place for moving it around. So far all that I have done to prepare for this monster is a B&W slider hitch & some tow mirrors. Considering some air bags. Running out of money quickly but is there anything else that I need (not want)? After I bring it home, I want to go through the brakes a bearings right away. On any kind of trailer, I never trust that the previous owner has taken care of the bearings. Most of the time I clean & re-pack them View attachment 174905 right away. If it needs brakes there goes some more money, but both of these are needs not a wants.
For what it's worth the guy across from me at this camp ground is pulling a 33" fifth wheel with a tundra lol I think you'll be ok

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Since you have a 5ver and no ability to use a wdh, you very likely will need air bags to return the weight to the steer axle so you have good traction and braking from that steer axle.

Sorry @GsRAM, adding air bags does not transfer any weight to the front axle. All they do is lift the rear to level it, the weight on the rear and front axles remain the same.

BTW, thank you for the quote in your signature(!).

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For what it's worth the guy across from me at this camp ground is pulling a 33" fifth wheel with a tundra lol I think you'll be ok

didn't they pull a 747 up a snow covered mountain with a tundra in a tv commercial? LOL

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
didn't they pull a 747 up a snow covered mountain with a tundra in a tv commercial? LOL
True I did just watch a ford add where the all electric pulled a million lb train then a 1.25 million lb train lol.