Blacklisted by Dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
My dealers service has steadily gotten worse and worse. I finally got fed up enough to give a bad corporate review. Just made it worse. They were so friendly at first?

Mr Rich

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
BEWARE OF THIS SORT OF THING. In some states like here in Florida, if you video or record a person without their permission you can be charged with a felony.

What about surveillance cams? I think that's a blanket statement that doesn't account for security situations.
Anyway...that dealership would be dead to me. I would not deal with them and I would let my circle of friends and acquaintances know it. I don't really want anyone working on my vehicle unless I know them personally and am familiar with the quality of work they do.

OP
OP
Duane Pipes

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope this all works out for you. I have read every post in this thread but it seems to me when you showed them the video of the mechanic or whoever going thru your console, they should have told you they'd address that issue with the employee. If he didn't have a business reason to be searching your console, he should have been fired. This dealer is the one that should be blacklisted, not you. I don't think I would go back there unless it was an extreme inconvenience to go to another dealer.
Yes sir thank you I agree 100%. Honestly didn't even think of it that way.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Here's CA law on the issue.

California Wiretapping Law
California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. See Cal. Penal Code § 632. The statute applies to "confidential communications" -- i.e., conversations in which one of the parties has an objectively reasonable expectation that no one is listening in or overhearing the conversation. See Flanagan v. Flanagan, 41 P.3d 575, 576-77, 578-82 (Cal. 2002). A California appellate court has ruled that this statute applies to the use of hidden video cameras to record conversations as well. See California v. Gibbons, 215 Cal. App. 3d 1204 (Cal Ct. App. 1989).

If you are recording someone without their knowledge in a public or semi-public place like a street or restaurant, the person whom you're recording may or may not have "an objectively reasonable expectation that no one is listening in or overhearing the conversation," and the reasonableness of the expectation would depend on the particular factual circumstances. Therefore, you cannot necessarily assume that you are in the clear simply because you are in a public place.

If you are operating in California, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording any conversation that common sense tells you might be "private" or "confidential." In addition to subjecting you to criminal prosecution, violating the California wiretapping law can expose you to a civil lawsuit for damages by an injured party. See Cal. Penal Code § 637.2.

OP
OP
Duane Pipes

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But they are right, it's private property. You can't record them without their consent and then post it publicly. If it was just some person working on your truck on the street you could do it, because they have no expectation of privacy on the street. That said, if I was a dealer I would be concerned about those mechanics trash-talking the truck and going through the center console. As others said, you really should have just gone to the manager with the video and not posted it publicly. You could have described what occurred in the video here, but without their permission posting it on YouTube could get you in trouble. In fact I'd pull it down if I were you.
Haha okay tap4154

OP
OP
Duane Pipes

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a service event with my 2019 1500 5.7L a few weeks ago. I've purchased a service package to cover the three year lease term. In reviewing the service report after leaving the dealer I read a note saying they couldn't locate the wheel lock. Consequently, no tire rotation happened. Sounds like they maybe opened the two glove compartments, the two center console compartments, and looked in the door bins. They didn't find it because I'd left it in the driver side floor bin behind the seat. It bugged me that they didn't call me on the cell # written all over the work order, but then I didn't go over the report with the service rep before leaving. In your case I wager they weren't rummaging to thieve, just looking for the wheel lock. Of course, tire rotation would have to be one of the things they were supposed to do.
The work did not require removing the wheels whatsoever

OP
OP
Duane Pipes

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's CA law on the issue.

California Wiretapping Law
California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. See Cal. Penal Code § 632. The statute applies to "confidential communications" -- i.e., conversations in which one of the parties has an objectively reasonable expectation that no one is listening in or overhearing the conversation. See Flanagan v. Flanagan, 41 P.3d 575, 576-77, 578-82 (Cal. 2002). A California appellate court has ruled that this statute applies to the use of hidden video cameras to record conversations as well. See California v. Gibbons, 215 Cal. App. 3d 1204 (Cal Ct. App. 1989).

If you are recording someone without their knowledge in a public or semi-public place like a street or restaurant, the person whom you're recording may or may not have "an objectively reasonable expectation that no one is listening in or overhearing the conversation," and the reasonableness of the expectation would depend on the particular factual circumstances. Therefore, you cannot necessarily assume that you are in the clear simply because you are in a public place.

If you are operating in California, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording any conversation that common sense tells you might be "private" or "confidential." In addition to subjecting you to criminal prosecution, violating the California wiretapping law can expose you to a civil lawsuit for damages by an injured party. See Cal. Penal Code § 637.2.
tap4154 ur knocking it out of the park today

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
@Duane Pipes You sir have patience and anger control that I definitely wouldn’t be able to hold back on from doing something. Props to you for that and sorry your getting treated like **** from a place where you spent tens of thousands.

OP
OP
Duane Pipes

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off, I know you probably can't say which dealership it IS the bad one so which one is it NOT the bad one!? Rick Hendrick or Hoover?
As for the recording on "private" property, I don't think they have much of a case. A) The camera was NOT hidden! That means no ill intent on your part. B) The public is allowed access to where you were at. You did not trespass or break the law to get the recording. Plus in some states your home as well as your vehicle are considered YOUR personal space! So technically they were in "your" space when they were recorded. It sounds like FCA is trying to avoid some majorly bad publicity as they realize that this could reflect bad not just on your Charleston dealer but ALL RAM dealers nationwide! I would get the current work done and NEVER go back to Hendrick or Hoover again! And you KNOW 100% that they are lying when they say they don't have cameras on that property. You can probably walk outside and spot 3 or 4 without much problems! That would mean they lied once again!
As for posting on YouTube, they can easily track/trace that back. You're better off creating a fake or alternate Facebook account without your real name or any real pictures of yourself. Or try a public posting site like YELP for leaving customer reviews! As long as you were a customer, you can leave an honest account of your experience and they can't do a damned thing about it!
A lot of good points here and I agree with you. But I can't get enough these guys sticking up with the dealership haha Scotty and tap1234 trying to blast me with the code of laws and house rules

OP
OP
Duane Pipes

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Duane Pipes You sir have patience and anger control that I definitely wouldn’t be able to hold back on from doing something. Props to you for that and sorry your getting treated like **** from a place where you spent tens of thousands.
I know man thanks. Wish it didn't unfold like this. Guys on here are right tho. I should've left this dealer earlier in the game. Y'all watch ur dash cams please and don't be like Duane Pipes

Shaggy

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ram Year
--
Engine
--
I bought it there + I didn't know I could take it to a different shop. They ordered parts and cont setting up appointments. Just didn't know.

You thought you were stuck with the dealer you bought it from for service issues? So if you moved to a different state, you think you would have to drive your truck all the way back to that dealer for service? :jnono:

You can go to any dodge dealer, not just the one you bought it from...

08RamKenny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome on the OPs part! I’m happy happy happy you did what you did!
First if it’s just your TPMS acting up, take it to discount Tire. They’ll fix it. It’s an easy fix.
Second, the video, the few post I had time to read, people were saying it’s illegal to record them. I don’t see how that’s possible. People shove cameras in celebrities faces all the time! Nothing happens. Without signs saying you can’t record, you’ve got an awesome case. So don’t worry about that.
Way to go OP! I can’t stand dealers, service departments, or mechanics way of doing business! Maybe I’m a bit cynical, but the large majority of them are dirty!
#Justsayin

BigWhiteSnake

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
1st mistake: If you had an issue with the dealership, why didn't you take the video directly to management and allow them to respond, before going public with it to meet your inner desire for clickbait?

Hate me if you wish, but **** like this is a problem in our society right now. People would rather be a Youtube star than solve their problem with personal communication and fairness.

I agree, they might hit him for slander.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
A lot of good points here and I agree with you. But I can't get enough these guys sticking up with the dealership haha Scotty and tap1234 trying to blast me with the code of laws and house rules

I'm not sticking up for the dealer in any way Deuwayne, just letting you know you may have committed a crime. You choice, no hair off my back.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
South Carolina – One party can consent to the recording of a wire, electronic or **** communication. Consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication.

Can you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in someone else's car???

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
South Carolina – One party can consent to the recording of a wire, electronic or **** communication. Consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication.

Can you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in someone else's car???

This is interesting though because OP was not in the conversation. He basically set a trap, then left, so no one in the conversation gave consent. Also when your car is on their property and in their hands, I'm not sure if it would be considered your private property while they service it, and are inside it.

That said I always remove any valuables when dropping off any vehicle for service, and when I had wheel locks put the key in a cup holder and told them.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few weeks ago I posted a YouTube video of a service advisor and a mechanic talking trash about my truck. The video is from a front and rear facing dash cam. There is no video recording inside the truck. The footage is basically of them being unprofessional and the mechanic rummaging through the center console (trying to steal).

Last Friday I brought my 19 RAM to the service dept. The service manager greets me and is professional but right after that moment is where my problem began. He explains if I am recording anything, then I need to stop. I assured him nothing was recording, the service manager began berating me saying:

I am on private property and recording or any kind is not allowed. If I am recording anything on dealership property, all footage will be confiscated, deleted, and the camera will be dismantled. He said I am breaking the law and no one in the service department is willing to work on my truck after I posted the YouTube video.

FCA customer care called this morning and explained the dealership won’t work on my truck and I need to find another place to fix the tpms system. She also explained the dealership has their legal team looking into this video incident. In other words, I’ve been blacklisted by the dealership where I purchased my 19 RAM 2 months ago. They do not want me going to the dealership whatsoever.

Long post. Just beware this dealership and FCA customer care can deal with customers anyway they wish, specifically me. Meanwhile, the tpms system warnings are going off all day every day + I’ll have to deal with their “legal team” in the near future. I have a dash cam in case of an accident not for surveillance of this dealership. If their service people were professional, I wouldn’t have a YouTube video in the first place.

Just a question ... since it was TPMS that you were getting repaired, do you have locking lug nuts on your wheels ?? Your tires would have to be removed to check for faulty transmitters and if you have a locking lug nut, perhaps the mechanic was rummaging through your console to find the key ?

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
But I can't get enough these guys sticking up with the dealership haha Scotty and tap1234 trying to blast me with the code of laws and house rules

I didn't try to blast you with anything. Now you're being a ********. Which, explains pretty much all of your actions thus far.

OP
OP
Duane Pipes

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't try to blast you with anything. Now you're being a ********. Which, explains pretty much all of your actions thus far.
Scotty likes to dish it but can't take it