Can we please get past the dealership model?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

znrh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't let one crappy dealer deter me. I've bought too many RAMS in the past since 2007 (9 to be exact). I usually research several nearby dealers and check reviews on Google, Dealer Rater, and Yelp, then when I find the exact truck I want I call the dealer or email and get them to send a buyer order for me with the out the door price. Then I'll call other dealers nearby and ask if they can beat that. The winner earns my business unless they act like jerks then I will get up and leave. So far I've been pretty lucky

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wouldn't let one crappy dealer deter me. I've bought too many RAMS in the past since 2007 (9 to be exact). I usually research several nearby dealers and check reviews on Google, Dealer Rater, and Yelp, then when I find the exact truck I want I call the dealer or email and get them to send a buyer order for me with the out the door price. Then I'll call other dealers nearby and ask if they can beat that. The winner earns my business unless they act like jerks then I will get up and leave. So far I've been pretty lucky
I gather that you buy one, upgrade it, then roll it over for a profit? Or pay cash for one, drive it for a couple years, then get max resale for it?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi

There is A Canadian Version of this that gets used extensively. That and Google reviews are an excellent way to get the word out on dealers. You do need top be careful however as some dealerships solicit positive Google reviews with incentives, so you can find VERY large differences between theDealer Rater ranking and Google.

Most folks I know post the same review on both sites, good or bad. If the dealer has a Facebook page, you can copy the review there too.

REALLY bad rated dealer on 213 Reviews

Google Rating

Go Dodge Southtown Chrysler​

4.1(1,931)

Very highly rated dealer on +1,800 reviews at Dealer Rater.

Google Rating​

Great West Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM​

4.3(1,835)

Not to hard to tell who you have better odds with.
We had a Great West
My suggestion about the survey is to be brutally honest without being spiteful. Dealerships necessarily take those surveys seriously since it can impact them financially.

It's definitely an inconvenience to have to go back for something like that. But It's a minor thing to clean spilled oil from the truck. I do it every time I change the oil because of where the oil filter is located. Not sure what you're expecting in the way of making things right. I would think a discount on the next service would be sufficient. Going to your home to clean your driveway is a little over the top though lol.
I had a few drops on my floor last change, I don’t do mine anymore,
Phoned them and they checked the filter and cleaned the truck
First time that happened
I know of a case where the new guy changed oil . Filter was loose or double gasket, oil all run out on drive home.
You could see the oil trail from the shop.
That cost the shop a new chev v6 motor
I have always looked at and drove every new and used one I have ever bought
Around here the next dealership is 200 miles
Ps I got side tracked, was going to we had a Great West Chrysler , and then a Great west Ford around here for years, southern Saskatchewan

Last edited:

pakuma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think that the Dealer network will be removed soon, due to State frachising laws. Tesla is trying direct sales and there are several states that don't allow it. As far as a bas dealer contact your state's consumer affairs, DMV, give them bad reviews, make sure that everyone knows about this, but if it is only one individual try to meet with the GM or Dealer Principal, it is in their best interest to keep people happy and coming back. I am a retired Chrysler Dealer General Manager and that would not fly in my store.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Reading about the obstacles that Tesla has had (and continues) to go through in trying to provide a different purchasing experience is interesting and somewhat depressing. The auto market is anything but free/open.
Where do you get Tesla service ? They do have troubles as well advertised.

There is one thing about buying a vehicle and also getting it fixed and charged
when using.
The recent story about the Ford CEO having lots of trouble while trying to go
cross country charging his F-150 is a joke.......

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
FYI, Polestar is actually a branch of Volvo. After Volvo was bought out by the Chinese, they separated their EV's into a separate "brand" similar to how you can buy a Chevy or a GMC but they are both General Motors. If they are usingnth8s to claim to be a new "brand" it's just a gimmick/loophole.
Loophole is a term often used because people do not like the outcome of something that is still legal. Still does not take away that it is a legal action regardless of the intent of the original law someone thinks is be circumvented by such a "loophole". You are either in compliance or not.

Tesla broke the mold of being a new startup without legacy structure like the other ICE automobile makers are. Tesla never solicited or setup one franchise dealership agreement in any state and exploited that to avoid being roped into most states franchise dealership laws regulating sales.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Loophole is a term often used because people do not like the outcome of something that is still legal. Still does not take away that it is a legal action regardless of the intent of the original law someone thinks is be circumvented by such a "loophole". You are either in compliance or not.

Tesla broke the mold of being a new startup without legacy structure like the other ICE automobile makers are. Tesla never solicited or setup one franchise dealership agreement in any state and exploited that to avoid being roped into most states franchise dealership laws regulating sales.
I wasn't claiming it was illegal....but it is trickery. Like GM creating a "Corvette" brand and slapping the crossed flags logo on an SUV (yes, that really is happening). Or Ford claiming an electric SUV is a Mustang. No matter how fast an SUV is its not a Corvette and its not a Mustang...it's just a gimmic

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I wasn't claiming it was illegal....but it is trickery. Like GM creating a "Corvette" brand and slapping the crossed flags logo on an SUV (yes, that really is happening). Or Ford claiming an electric SUV is a Mustang. No matter how fast an SUV is its not a Corvette and its not a Mustang...it's just a gimmic
Who is getting tricked?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I see a few people are saying to check YELP reviews

I guess that they don't know, if a business does not pay YELP, their business will never be posted.

People on trips have experienced medical issues & in desperate need of a Doctor, there was a very good Doctor within 20 miles, but it did not show up in YELPs reviews.

There was a big stink about that

I do not use YELP for anything

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I used dealer rater, but I suppose all these sites are paid by somebody. At least dealer rater has negative reviews and ratings.

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can we get past the dealership model? The problem is government. Until we can become a free country again the answer is no. Yeah dealership models are built into law, if not the smartest thing Muck did was eliminate that stupid model, it’s pretty close. I agree stealerships should not have all the control they do, if they wish to abuse the process they can easily do it with little to no recourse for the consumer. I can prove it too.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I think this goes back to monopoly laws 100 years ago, but I'm an engineer, not a lawyer. Corporations were monopolizing products and markets, so governments in the interest of the general public forced them to sell thru dealerships divided into regions so they couldn't control pricing like Rockefeller did everywhere.

Anyway, let's get off the politics and get back to what we can do best given the situation we are in. That's what Forums are about.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Some things I like about a dealership model with an attached service center: I can get a ride to work or someplace and get picked up end of day; I can call someone and have a name to follow up with; I can negotiate; I can kick the tires; I can get a great deal on a leftover as I always buy that way; there are multiple dealers so I can go to another even if I have to drive a ways. And if I was inclined to order and wait for delivery just like Tesla I can do that to. I can also pay the same price like everyone else if I want, just like Tesla.

What I don't like about direct sales: not being able to have what I like above. The only way to get individual questions answered is to show up after making appointment and then it is too late for anything that otherwise might allow you options, like don't just show up without a ride because who knows if they have a shuttle, got rid of it, or never had it. I have worked with great dealerships both family owned and corporate conglomerates. Have I had some frustrations, yep.

Honestly, having been involved in this direct to customer experience it is so not customer service friendly. It is designed to benefit the company first so what works best for them (app only, no phone to call, etc.) Is what the owner is stuck with, there are no alternatives. I would believe that, in Tesla's case their very visible decimation of their public relations department speaks volumes that they don't want to answer to anyone but management. Doesn't give me warm fuzzies that it will be a top player when the masses might start adopting and decide they aren't willing to settle for such a lack of support.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I did a direct computer laptop purchase and regretted it when it came to service and failures.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Some things I like about a dealership model with an attached service center: I can get a ride to work or someplace and get picked up end of day; I can call someone and have a name to follow up with; I can negotiate; I can kick the tires; I can get a great deal on a leftover as I always buy that way; there are multiple dealers so I can go to another even if I have to drive a ways. And if I was inclined to order and wait for delivery just like Tesla I can do that to. I can also pay the same price like everyone else if I want, just like Tesla.

What I don't like about direct sales: not being able to have what I like above. The only way to get individual questions answered is to show up after making appointment and then it is too late for anything that otherwise might allow you options, like don't just show up without a ride because who knows if they have a shuttle, got rid of it, or never had it. I have worked with great dealerships both family owned and corporate conglomerates. Have I had some frustrations, yep.

Honestly, having been involved in this direct to customer experience it is so not customer service friendly. It is designed to benefit the company first so what works best for them (app only, no phone to call, etc.) Is what the owner is stuck with, there are no alternatives. I would believe that, in Tesla's case their very visible decimation of their public relations department speaks volumes that they don't want to answer to anyone but management. Doesn't give me warm fuzzies that it will be a top player when the masses might start adopting and decide they aren't willing to settle for such a lack of support.
Not if you want a Ford, GM, or Chevy truck. They make you choose off the lot. That is how I ended up with a RAM.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I just talked with a GM Dealer last week who said he would order custom combo I want. Maybe times are changing finally? I think their sales are finally slowing down.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just talked with a GM Dealer last week who said he would order custom combo I want. Maybe times are changing finally? I think their sales are finally slowing down.
I talked with the Chevy guy last summer when I first started shopping around. I got online and did the build-your-own thing, then went to the dealership. The first salesman that walked up to me, I handed him the build sheet and said, "Sell me this truck." He looked at it for a few seconds then said, "We can't get that vehicle." I asked why and he replied, "Because no one is ordering a regular cab truck." I said, "I am...order it and you will have one customer who did." He still said he couldn't get it. So I told him "bye", and turned to leave. He said, "We have a bunch on the lot to choose from." I asked, "Regular cabs?" "No." Then you have nothing for me to choose from, and I left.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I talked with the Chevy guy last summer when I first started shopping around. I got online and did the build-your-own thing, then went to the dealership. The first salesman that walked up to me, I handed him the build sheet and said, "Sell me this truck." He looked at it for a few seconds then said, "We can't get that vehicle." I asked why and he replied, "Because no one is ordering a regular cab truck." I said, "I am...order it and you will have one customer who did." He still said he couldn't get it. So I told him "bye", and turned to leave. He said, "We have a bunch on the lot to choose from." I asked, "Regular cabs?" "No." Then you have nothing for me to choose from, and I left.
In a lot of dealerships, your situation requires finding the fleet sales guy at a dealership and deal with them.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In a lot of dealerships, your situation requires finding the fleet sales guy at a dealership and deal with them.
I understand, but I would think if that were possible that the salesman would have pointed me in that direction. If the sales manager found out that the dealership had a chance to sell a truck, but didn't because a particular salesman didn't handle the situation correctly, then that salesman would be out a job. The salesman's job is not to just sell a vehicle that he personally will make a commission on, his job is also to make money for the dealership. Right?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I understand, but I would think if that were possible that the salesman would have pointed me in that direction. If the sales manager found out that the dealership had a chance to sell a truck, but didn't because a particular salesman didn't handle the situation correctly, then that salesman would be out a job. The salesman's job is not to just sell a vehicle that he personally will make a commission on, his job is also to make money for the dealership. Right?
In a perfect world yes. The reality is a lot of salesmen are looking to make today's or end of month total sales numbers and that means selling a vehicle that is on a lot now. Customer order they do not get credit for until weeks or months down the road when you take delivery. Those salesmen do not care for the guy in fleet sales who may get either the full sale or a split sale credit.

If you did not step over the salesman and talk direct to the sales manager, they would not know you were a committed custom sale order that walked. There is still the caveat that some sales managers are also like your salesman in that they want to push a on lot sale.

There is Jack Wagon types in vehicle sales. I have never trusted them to be upfront and to do the right thing for anybody but themselves and to question everything they do or say.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat