Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Farmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, why I left . But before I did, I found out what was going on and investigated further elsewhere. You might want to do the same.
Oh wow! Can you point me in the right direction please? If it's matter of posting, please DM me. Thank you!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes, why I left . But before I did, I found out what was going on and investigated further elsewhere. You might want to do the same.
Can you clue us in. I maybe check Bitog once every couple months,so i'm brain dead to what goes on over there,lol.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Can you clue us in. I maybe check Bitog once every couple months,so i'm brain dead to what goes on over there,lol.

About GM oil pumper 5.3L V8 with AFM. See my post above.
Also found out about PUP there, when Exxon was busy profiteering their Mobil acquisition.

I don't know if GM did anything about the 5.3L or not. But I do know it was junk in the mid 2000's.
I wanted the 6.2L modern aluminum engine. Now they have a 6.6L, but with half a$$ GDI.
I'm more interested in their 3.0 I6 diesel these days. Will an all aluminum diesel last? Did they get their FEA fatigue life right?
Or will it crack in half before expected?

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know if GM did anything about the 5.3L or not.
They're afm lifters are still junk. It's kind of funny to me that oils are being made to go longer and longer intervals but with motors like the hemi and gms 5.3 anyone who knows about them says 5k oci max. Hemi because...well we know why and for the 5.3 the stupid dual mode afm lifters.

The Farmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know if GM did anything about the 5.3L or not.
They made it GDI.

I'm more interested in their 3.0 I6 diesel these days. Will an all aluminum diesel last?
It won't crack, but fail in other miserable ways.

Also found out about PUP there, when Exxon was busy profiteering their Mobil acquisition.
PUP is awesome. Shell put Borate Esters in PUP. It's basically a high performance Shell Helix Ultra formulation blended as a Resource Conserving oil (sub 3.5 HTHS). It's very good oil, low wear, runs clean.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They made it GDI.

It won't crack, but fail in other miserable ways.

PUP is awesome. Shell put Borate Esters in PUP. It's basically a high performance Shell Helix Ultra formulation blended as a Resource Conserving oil (sub 3.5 HTHS). It's very good oil, low wear, runs clean.
That's old, LM0 fixed those.
Unlike 5.3 AFM and Hemi tick.
I suspect Isuzu had something to do with it since they actually care about good engineering. But now GM fully owns the engine despite keeping the joint venture Duramax name.
If anything, I'd get the 6.6L gas despite the half done GDI. It doesn't have cylinder cutout, neither do Ford's new gas V8's.

The Farmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If anything, I'd get the 6.6L gas despite the half done GDI. It doesn't have cylinder cutout, neither do Ford's new gas V8's.
Would that be the Ford 7.3?

Do you think an oil catch can can help a GDI engine?

That's old, LM0 fixed those.
Well Sir, you seem to know way more than I do about these engines. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Did anyone else get a new Blackstone Newsletter? There is a good article on TBN & TAN in it.

Oil exposed to high temperature at first lowers viscosity before it thickens from boiling off lighter molecules and oxidizing. Very strange.

Attachments

• Blackstone Feb_24_ENG_newsletter.pdf
    628 KB · Views: 3

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did anyone else get a new Blackstone Newsletter? There is a good article on TBN & TAN in it.

Oil exposed to high temperature at first lowers viscosity before it thickens from boiling off lighter molecules and oxidizing. Very strange.
I got a newsletter from them today also. I have not had time to look at it yet.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked through the last couple dozen pages and no one has anything near the levels I have for Al, Fe, Cu with as low of an OCI. Redline 5W/30 is the oil used.

So what's getting ready to grenade in my engine? :oops:
Welp, I'm back with my follow up oil change (Redline 5w-30 again) and not 2 years later. :) Seems some good trends are happening. Guess I will need at least one more to confirm the redline is also possibly acting as a cleaning agent and removing internal deposits of metals.

Technically there is 6300 miles on the sample... I had already wrote down 6000 on the sheet before I realized the computer tells me how many miles its been.

Attachments

• 18 Ram 2oil change.JPG
    18 Ram 2oil change.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 18

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Welp, I'm back with my follow up oil change (Redline 5w-30 again) and not 2 years later. :) Seems some good trends are happening. Guess I will need at least one more to confirm the redline is also possibly acting as a cleaning agent and removing internal deposits of metals.

Technically there is 6300 miles on the sample... I had already wrote down 6000 on the sheet before I realized the computer tells me how many miles its been.

Strange detergent additive results.

This sample has more calcium and less magnesium than the earlier sample.

Oil blenders had been going the other directions to reduce LSPI in direct injection gasoline engines.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Strange detergent additive results.

This sample has more calcium and less magnesium than the earlier sample.

Oil blenders had been going the other directions to reduce LSPI in direct injection gasoline engines.
I'll take your word for it as I am unfamiliar with trends in the oil detergent world but will be curious what the third one shows.

The oil I bought for this change.... Maybe it was a couple gallons from some old stock that had a different detergent blend?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Why did blackstone say it was 10w30? And the visc is different, usually you will see redline 5w30 close to the twelves, last run was the first redline run?

Looks good, young engine wear are always a little higher then when an engine hits it's stride. Everything looks fantastic but yes odd CA reading. I prefer higher mag and lower ca and have stated so forever since the industry went to di turbos, but it really hardly matters with a hemi, the CA level is a non issue, and with the tbn and good wear trends you certainly could go longer on the oil if you want or need to.

This run is longer but still lower wear, I'd be very impressed if my truck. Lower alum is big too, especially having a sample coming off winter months. This likely means you have some good plating on that truck protecting good during cold starts. Look forward to seeing next one. We have a member here ramfmly that does a chart that considers the interval, maybe he will guide you on how impressive the improvement is considering the intervals. If you added 25% to the older sample, that would give you a better idea on the improvement.

Last edited:

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why did blackstone say it was 10w30? And the visc is different, usually you will see redline 5w30 close to the twelves, last run was the first redline run?

Looks good, young engine wear are always a little higher then when an engine hits it's stride. Everything looks fantastic but yes odd CA reading. I prefer higher mag and lower ca and have stated so forever since the industry went to di turbos, but it really hardly matters with a hemi, the CA level is a non issue, and with the tbn and good wear trends you certainly could go longer on the oil if you want or need to.
The oil is in fact 5w-30 redline, I probably wrote 10w on the slip on accident, been one of those months/years.

Correct last run was first redline run.

I will probably keep the oil change to 6000 for the next one so I can compare apples to apples. If that shows the same trends I will start increasing OCI.

Would 10k be a good next step or 8K?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The oil is in fact 5w-30 redline, I probably wrote 10w on the slip on accident, been one of those months/years.

Correct last run was first redline run.

I will probably keep the oil change to 6000 for the next one so I can compare apples to apples. If that shows the same trends I will start increasing OCI.

Would 10k be a good next step or 8K?
So this is good info, and take it for what it is worth, an opinion nothing more. But, it is not only the wear dropping, but which wear is dropping. The copper dropping is totally normal, likely any oil you use copper would be dropping at this point in a hemi. The iron, also pretty normal drop to be expected just in engine aging alone. Neither likely has much do with redline versus another oil. But, the alum is a good sign and to me is more indicative of plating action and those additives in redline and HP oils specifically that is protecting that particular engine at start up.

I don't know your situation, for me I need to use things up, I even drove on oem tires and rims for a decade eventhoiugh I hated them, lol. So I prefer to use oil to it's limits. I'm just saying with lab proof you can go further on that oil with no risk of oil failure. I'll let you decide your interval, a 6k mile interval is indeed better, it's just about your values. You read oil filter thread as well?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That first redline run, you see the visc change as well. You likely had some sharp points still there, common for engines under 100k miles. My guess, those sharper edges shredded the visc a little more as you see, not only more wear but lower visc on first run. As those metals get a plate, it can shred less viscosity as well. It will be interesting to see if the viscosity stays closer to 12 as well as you keep alum down. Not every redline uoa is as clear as this one and one uoa doesnt prove much, but if the trend continues it is proof in this engine this particular oil is serving you well.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this is good info, and take it for what it is worth, an opinion nothing more. But, it is not only the wear dropping, but which wear is dropping. The copper dropping is totally normal, likely any oil you use copper would be dropping at this point in a hemi. The iron, also pretty normal drop to be expected just in engine aging alone. Neither likely has much do with redline versus another oil. But, the alum is a good sign and to me is more indicative of plating action and those additives in redline and HP oils specifically that is protecting that particular engine at start up.

I don't know your situation, for me I need to use things up, I even drove on oem tires and rims for a decade eventhoiugh I hated them, lol. So I prefer to use oil to it's limits. I'm just saying with lab proof you can go further on that oil with no risk of oil failure. I'll let you decide your interval, a 6k mile interval is indeed better, it's just about your values. You read oil filter thread as well?
Understood, for a couple hundred dollars an oil change I don't mind changing it sooner, if it were a couple thousand then that's a different story.

I haven't look at the oil filter thread in awhile but I'm running the royal purple.... Is there something better that should be considered now?

Also something to note this is with a tune that turns off the mds for the entire oil change