Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted_ram_18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Good morning all, so yesterday im driving along, feel a loud pop, then my truck is in like neutral, look under thinking i snapped the drive shaft but its still spinning, so i put it in 4wd lock, to get me off the road, starts going then goes back as in neutral, saying 4wd power reduce due to overheating, let it sit a few min then try again, make it about 20 ft and same thing, so my question is what sjould i be looking for? Broken pins in the diff? Stripped gears? And is there a way to override the 4wd so that it stays on? Please any help qould be appreciated,

From one ram owner to another

OP
OP
Lifted_ram_18

Lifted_ram_18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Good morning all, so yesterday im driving along, feel a loud pop, then my truck is in like neutral, look under thinking i snapped the drive shaft but its still spinning, so i put it in 4wd lock, to get me off the road, starts going then goes back as in neutral, saying 4wd power reduce due to overheating, let it sit a few min then try again, make it about 20 ft and same thing, so my question is what sjould i be looking for? Broken pins in the diff? Stripped gears? And is there a way to override the 4wd so that it stays on? Please any help qould be appreciated,

From one ram owner to another

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
The reason it's saying 4x4 overheating is because the 4x4 doesn't fully engage until the rear tires are spinning so right now it's just slipping clutches in the t case and seeing it as an overheat because rear tires still "have traction" in a sense. I'm thinking it's spiders. Pull the top plug out and see if there's any metal shavings in it. As for your 4x4 I have a switch to fix that once you have the rear end fixed.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/transfercase-diagram.55161/page-30

OP
OP
Lifted_ram_18

Lifted_ram_18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
The reason it's saying 4x4 overheating is because the 4x4 doesn't fully engage until the rear tires are spinning so right now it's just slipping clutches in the t case and seeing it as an overheat because rear tires still "have traction" in a sense. I'm thinking it's spiders. Pull the top plug out and see if there's any metal shavings in it. As for your 4x4 I have a switch to fix that once you have the rear end fixed.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/transfercase-diagram.55161/page-30

OP
OP
Lifted_ram_18

Lifted_ram_18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Ok, but this morning i tried it in 2wd, it actually moved foward then heard a loud bang again and it was in neutral then nothing, could it be the axle pin or any pins

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Check the T-case over to,as it's been known to grenade and act like the rear diff is *****'d.You wouldn't be the first guy to scatter the T-case and think it's the rear diff.Odds are it's the rear diff,but if it checks out good,then it'll be the transfer case. Pray it's the transfer case,as it's cheaper and easier to fix then the rear-end,lol

OP
OP
Lifted_ram_18

Lifted_ram_18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I just tried in 2 wd made it 10m and heard another loud bang then neutral again so its not constant, could it be a dead spot in a gear or a safety switch or even a shear pin? Someone help

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just tried in 2 wd made it 10m and heard another loud bang then neutral again so its not constant, could it be a dead spot in a gear or a safety switch or even a shear pin? Someone help

It's probably wise to quit driving it and do as FF1899 suggests,and pull the rear cover off.If you keep driving it,and it has a broken pin or gear,there is a chance of breaking the diff itself,and then it's not fixable,mind you it's a slight chance,but it's still a chance,and then you'd be on the hunt for a replacement housing

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
OP listen to the advice your being given.

- The Blue Mule