Blown up Power Steering Due to Binding in 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMLUVR69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I live up in the great white north. Road conditions are currently packed snow on residential streets (actually quite grippy with duratracs) and 100% shear ice on main roads (literally can't make it through an intersection before the light turns red again in 2wd)

I've had the truck in 4x4 high (no auto 4x4) for the past week as everywhere has been impossible to drive in 2wd. On Monday as I was backing out of my driveway, it was a chilly -30 degrees out, and as I was turning the truck was doing its usual binding during its sharp turn, I lost the power steering.

Looking underneath it was losing a huge amount of steering fluid from the rack, none in the driveway so the failure happened mid turn. Keep in mind this was all on hard compacted snow, no bare or dry pavement for miles around.

Was this failure due to my turning rather sharp in 4x4 on snow? should I be switching in and out of 4x4 every time I make sharp turns even on snow and ice covered surfaces? I realize sharp turns in 4x4 puts stress on u-joints and drivetrain but never heard of it stressing the power steering rack.

Thanks for any input guys.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It really should have nothing to do with 4x4 most likely blew one of the metal lines or a seal because of the cold/salt and whatnot.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your ram is old enough to have hydraulic power steering it's probably just normal age and wear