blue headlight bulbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MossyOakRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ive notice some headlight bulbs in stores that are blue can you use these without having HIDs some say 6000k and so on what does that mean? can they be swapped with the stock bulbs? I want the light to look cool with the blue bulbs but not sacrifice lighting, has anyone used these? I cant afford HIDs lol

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if they're hid bulbs then no you can't use them and if they just so happen to be regular bulbs but just blue then you would lose some light output yes.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
First all states say that the headlights must have White output and only emergency vehicles are allowed any blue lights on them. Plus the bulbs that you are looking at are slated as "Off-Road/ Show use only". In the state I live in it is a $500 fine each bulb. In the 2 surrounding states the fine is well over that.
Now to the issue of light output: the human eye cannot see into the UV spectrum, which the so called blue bulbs are hitting the edge of. You will not have the same output of light from them a all.
Now if you want better light output there are 2 ways to go. First is a true HiD kit. I believe that JJ at Retro Shop can help there. Next is to get some of the new LeD headlight bulbs. For the moment these are what I am running: GP-Xtreme GP-H13-CR-HL HyperWhite Cree 1512 Chips - Hid Lights USA
The pattern is a bit different than stock, but they are extremely bright and output pure white light, with no blue at all in them.
Another problem with the blue headlight bulbs is they cause massive glare for oncoming drivers, which can cause an accident.
Sorry guy but I do not recommend those blue bulbs at all.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
First all states say that the headlights must have White output and only emergency vehicles are allowed any blue lights on them. Plus the bulbs that you are looking at are slated as "Off-Road/ Show use only". In the state I live in it is a $500 fine each bulb. In the 2 surrounding states the fine is well over that.
Now to the issue of light output: the human eye cannot see into the UV spectrum, which the so called blue bulbs are hitting the edge of. You will not have the same output of light from them a all.
Now if you want better light output there are 2 ways to go. First is a true HiD kit. I believe that JJ at Retro Shop can help there. Next is to get some of the new LeD headlight bulbs. For the moment these are what I am running: GP-Xtreme GP-H13-CR-HL HyperWhite Cree 1512 Chips - Hid Lights USA
The pattern is a bit different than stock, but they are extremely bright and output pure white light, with no blue at all in them.
Another problem with the blue headlight bulbs is they cause massive glare for oncoming drivers, which can cause an accident.
Sorry guy but I do not recommend those blue bulbs at all.

Now If Its the bulbs Im thinking About like the Sylvania silver star now they are blue tinted bulbs but they have white light output more equal to a 5000k HID they are legal

Last edited:

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
ive notice some headlight bulbs in stores that are blue can you use these without having HIDs some say 6000k and so on what does that mean? can they be swapped with the stock bulbs? I want the light to look cool with the blue bulbs but not sacrifice lighting, has anyone used these? I cant afford HIDs lol

If You Can Afford 20 to 30 for them Id Switch to HID They Got HId Kits 30-50 dollars I Done My Headlights And Driving Lights For Under 100 for all

OP
OP
MossyOakRam

MossyOakRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info guys ill be looking into some hids then. Whats the difference from cheaper hids compared to the more expensive ones?

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the info guys ill be looking into some hids then. Whats the difference from cheaper hids compared to the more expensive ones?
you need to make sure that the ballast your getting are digital I made the mistake of not doing that and had to do some things to radio feed to keep radio Interference from hids out of stations Zentec hid kits on ebay are good digital kits I just bought 3 kits for my brothers truck for 83 bucks they work good and you will love the light output the HID's put out they are 3x times brighter than Halogens I got A Bi Level Kit For My Truck But Don't Even Use High Beams Anymore the lows work so good Hid Kits Has Gone A Long Way In Pricing Since They Came Out I Remember in 90's thinking about doing hid kit and they was 500 to 800 bucks a set then As For The Color temp 4300K Gives The Light Color of Halogen Bulb 5000K is A Bright White And 6000K Is Bright White With A Tint Of Blue 8000K Is More Blue The Higher The Number The more Blue then into Purple But Me I Prefer 6000K They Got The Slight Blue Tint But Put Out Great Light I Have 8000K Bulbs But They Are To Blue For me so Switched to 6000K depending on which way you go Single low beam or Bi level High/low You will need 2 to 4 6ohms 50watt Resistors but don't worry we will help with that when time comes just a heads up and you will need a relay kit for headlights if you have driving lights you don't need a relay kit for then they are relayed in fuse panel they will be PNP

Last edited:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Now If Its the bulbs Im thinking About like the Sylvania silver star now they are blue tinted bulbs but they have white light output more equal to a 5000k HID they are legal

Problem with the Silver Stars is they pull too many amps. Stock bulbs are 55/60 watts, while the Silver Stars are 55/65 watts which pull just enough more amps to cause the idiot light to go off. I tried them and my idiot light went off took it to the dealership where they let me know about the bulbs. If the bulbs pull too many amps then there is a direct possibility of burning up the wire harness. I actually saw what will happen with high wattage bulbs, burnt spaghetti looked better.

RamRod37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Problem with the Silver Stars is they pull too many amps. Stock bulbs are 55/60 watts, while the Silver Stars are 55/65 watts which pull just enough more amps to cause the idiot light to go off. I tried them and my idiot light went off took it to the dealership where they let me know about the bulbs. If the bulbs pull too many amps then there is a direct possibility of burning up the wire harness. I actually saw what will happen with high wattage bulbs, burnt spaghetti looked better.
Yeah Im Sticking To HID's LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denning