Bolt on power for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead1970

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Got a 2023 ram Lone star edition with 5.7 l HEMI and have 5500 LBS when empty travel trailer already installed the OEM E- break with the software update to control it. We use the trailer several times a year usually tow long distances like going from Texas to Pennsylvania at the end of the month and last month we went to Arizona and all over the New Mexico 4 corner region had no problems. Just would like to make it a little easier on my drive train I have a cold air intake I'm going to install this week and was thinking of getting a stage 2 power chip. I don't want to tow more than what the vehicle can handle safety just would like to get better mileage and have the engine and transmission work more efficient while towing. Always use the tow haul mode when towing and I was getting 15 mpg on the way from Texas to AZ and in NM. On the way home hit bad head winds and my mileage dropped 9 to 10 mpg. When hauling the trailer I drive at 60 to 65 mph. Anyone have some ideas, or I'm I just wasting money on the CAI and chip? Thinking about installing a pair of headers later in the year I'm looking to just increase torque not HP as much. Don't want to void my warranty so just bolt on things I can remove before dealer service. The CAI will not void my warranty.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
In my opinion, and experience, a Cold Air Induction system is a waste of money on a stock engine. A K&N filter is even worse. It will take a lot of tune before the stock air system does not flow enough air. If you are going to have a Tune done make sure they harmonise it with the transmission and the tow haul mode. Talk to your tuner before changing anything else.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Got a 2023 ram Lone star edition with 5.7 l HEMI and have 5500 LBS when empty travel trailer already installed the OEM E- break with the software update to control it. We use the trailer several times a year usually tow long distances like going from Texas to Pennsylvania at the end of the month and last month we went to Arizona and all over the New Mexico 4 corner region had no problems. Just would like to make it a little easier on my drive train I have a cold air intake I'm going to install this week and was thinking of getting a stage 2 power chip. I don't want to tow more than what the vehicle can handle safety just would like to get better mileage and have the engine and transmission work more efficient while towing. Always use the tow haul mode when towing and I was getting 15 mpg on the way from Texas to AZ and in NM. On the way home hit bad head winds and my mileage dropped 9 to 10 mpg. When hauling the trailer I drive at 60 to 65 mph. Anyone have some ideas, or I'm I just wasting money on the CAI and chip? Thinking about installing a pair of headers later in the year I'm looking to just increase torque not HP as much. Don't want to void my warranty so just bolt on things I can remove before dealer service. The CAI will not void my warranty.
You can't "chip" your truck,but you can have it tuned though. Once you price out an unlocked PCM /Bypass cable and custom tune,you might just want to live with it stock,as you'll never get your money back in fuel saving costs,and your warrenty will be instantly voided.If you're seriously considering headers,the only ones that will generate an increase in bottom end torque are long tubes,shorties don't make torque,and honestly,they don't even make any noticable horsepower up top either. Price out a set of decent long tubes/high flow catted midpipe and unlocked Pcm/Bypass cable and custom tune,and you might think stock looks okay,lol.As stated a cold air intake doesn't really do anything except make noise.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
just would like to get better mileage and have the engine and transmission work more efficient while towing.
The problem with the engine is the spark plugs, as in it uses them along with it doesn't have a turbo. If you want better mileage and more efficiency when towing the engine needs to be a diesel.
Your not going not going to net anything that going to make a dramatic difference with simple bolt ons and minor tuning for towing.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5.7 is more than what you need for that, or even a little heavier trailer. Don't waste your money on little upgrades that do nothing but lighten your wallet, unless you just want them. Add-ons like CAI and the like do nothing or very little to enhance performance for towing or fuel milage.
The frontal area of the trailer has more bearing on MPG than anything else unless you are towing in the mountains. And on the flats, speed is the biggest MPG killer.
I tow heavier than you will, and on the flats and lower hills do very well, but that is my truck. Don't compare your to anyone else's. It will get whatever it gets, and without a major build, that's it.
And remember more ponies means more money, and less MPG. It also means more strain on the drive train when the gas pedal goes to the floor.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Your factory air box is already a cold air intake. There also is no such thing as a "chip" for modern vehicles. Sure, you can replace the computer with an unlocked one and get a good tune, but you say you don't want to void your warranty which changing the computer certainly "can" do.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
As mentioned those "bolt ons" don't do anything without tuning. Air and fuel going in is metered and ECU controlled. You won't see gains unless the ECU is tuned to take advantage of them.

Unlocking the ECU and tuning it will void your warranty. If your warranty is important to you I'd suggest leaving it stock until the end of your warranty. Or at the very least buy a second unlocked ECU to swap out OEM one. Then you can swap back to OEM if the tune goes south. Only caveat there is now you'll have a discrepancy between the ECU and speedo mileage.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Like everyone has said, power adders on newer vehicles aren't cheap when it's all said and done. Not like the older vehicles where you spend a few hours swapping your small block for a big block. But based on what you posted I don't think you will have any issues with the TT you have. Should pull it fine. If it's the RPM's you are worried about, don't be. These things are designed to run at 4000 RPM when they need to.

zrock

Reaction score
As stated above power adders are just a waste of money and you will never see enough benefit to justify the cost. That truck is more than enough to tow that trailer, leave your tow haul mode off unless you are pulling a big hill normal flat land towing its really not needed.. Best thing you can do is make sure your trailer is well maintained and keep the wheel bearings greased and brakes in good condition and not dragging, tires are properly inflated, etc. Your never going to see good fuel econ pulling a trailer its just like towing a big sale your pushing a wall of wind..

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I pulled a 6000# 28' travel trailer all over the place with my '19 1500 laramie 5.7 ccsb 4x4 3.92 with org and 33 gal tank. it towed great. other than tune, there are a few things you can do like enhance the suspension for towing..airbags..swaybar..shocks..tires. you have plenty of truck for that trailer but a 2500 would be an upgrade without a lot of add-ons to your current truck.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Sage advice from all members before me!
My $0.02 is just use good quality fuel and high quality synthetic engine oil and a quality oil filter.
Like Red Line High Performance 5W30 synthetic oil with a Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter.

You will do so much good for your engine with just good fuel and the right synthetic oil and oil filter for your truck.

The other thing you could do is to ensure your transmission runs cooler, so look at the @caulk04 transmission cooler bypass valve upgrade to keep those trans temps down, and go to a quality Red Line synthetic transmission fluid too. You could further that cooling and protection even more for your transmission by adding on a PPE transmission oil pan and filter kit to that mix.

Maybe look at a 190deg thermostat as well. That will help to keep your HEMI a tad cooler, too.

If you're looking to spend money on real improvements that net appreciable and long term benefits, consider these things and have a great ownership experience.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There is a reason that so many Air Stream Trailers have sold
The front of the trailer is designed to allow air to smoothly pass over the nose, which allows the tow vehicle to get better MPGs

1689885433402.png

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
ya but the big difference in price will buy a lot of fuel and I like the opposing slides in my 5th wheel..very roomy. they are made well tho. I once restored a 28' '69 model for a buddy to use at his hunting lease. It was made during the aluminum wiring years so had to redo that and replace the floor in the rear where the bath is. the wife made all new upholstery and I did new cabinets and counter tops. It was obvious they were put together to last.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Don't waste your time and money. If you want more torque and usable power in a 1500 you'll have to look for an EcoDiesel. Otherwise get a diesel 2500 or 3500.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Don't waste your time and money. If you want more torque and usable power in a 1500 you'll have to look for an EcoDiesel. Otherwise get a diesel 2500 or 3500.

Don't waste your money on an ecodiesel either. They're discontinued for a reason and good luck with no support, parts and service in the future, never mind resale on a dead engine. Especially 2nd gen, run far away from them, 3rd gen you're still begging for trouble. There are much better options available in the half ton space, the GM 3.0 duramax for a start.

jd77480

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want a add on for your truck that will give you more torque & will not void your warranty on your truck. Check into a Pro Charger. That make them for just about all trucks. It's going to run you about $7000.00. But will not void your warranty if installed by a Pro Charger shop. Good Luck.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
There is no bolt on for towing. The vehicle is tow rated, not only on the power it produces, but the capability of the suspension to handle the load and the capacity of braking. You can not upgrade one and ignore the others safely. Sell it and buy a 2500.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Cold Air Intake is a waste of money. My 6.4L seems to run better and get better mpg in hotter temps.

Chip probably a waste of money.

Put truck in Tow/Haul and go.

Wind/air resistance is your biggest enemy.