Borla Swap on a Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZOutdoors

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this posted in the General topics but felt it belonged here:

I just installed the Borla 40353 on my Limited and am on the fence if I like it. Love the sound when cruising and when stepping on it, but I can definitely tell when the MDS kick on and off. It makes a low drone sound that I can hear and feel. It kind of reminds me of that "helicopter" sound you get when you just roll down a back window but way less intense. I never noticed the drone sound with the stock muffler. Anybody else that put one of these on notice that.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have found on my last few rams that anytime I've changed the exhaust I can hear the mds. No matter what muffler I've used. I just normally shut mds off so I don't hear it anymore

kballousr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Other than the MDS, how Doug like the exhaust? Thinking about Borla headers and straight pipe back.

OP
OP
A

AZOutdoors

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has a great sound. I love the tone. Most of the time it sounds fine inside, other than the MDS sound I talked about. There is a certain RPM that gets a little loud inside while under load, but for the most part it is fine while cruising around.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I own it and still have it sitting in its box in one of my rooms. I agree I feel no matter what exhaust we swap to, we will end up due to the MDS with drone. The question at hand is how many are willing to live with that sound?

ksn240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I own it and still have it sitting in its box in one of my rooms. I agree I feel no matter what exhaust we swap to, we will end up due to the MDS with drone. The question at hand is how many are willing to live with that sound?

I'll live with it! I can't do stock exhaust. Curious to see how bad it will be when I get the Carven installed. If the drone is that bad I will just turn the MDS off, not driving a truck for the gas mileage anyway.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The words truck and gas mileage are not synonymous in my mind lol. I laugh when my friends ask what’s my mpg. At this point I’m still waiting for my black Carven tips. Once they arrive I’ll take them and my Borla muffler over to my shop and let them have at it. Maybe having the larger tips added will reduce the drone ?4ebbbcea22e7aa8df69b97f93063d8c4.jpg02954f6b1acb45719157a6732af6b710.jpg

Reactions: JB1

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yesterday i finally got around to adding my magnaflow muffler to my already muffler and resonator deleted factory system. I love the sound now much more but the mds is very annoying. I'm in the habit of shutting it off everytime I get in the truck. This is my 3rd or 4th time under the truck doing exhaust changes and I've noticed that there are multiple crappy welds. To the point that the y pipe has a small leak that I need to repair. Pretty bad for a 3 week old truck

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So based upon what you’re seeing, it’s safe to say that we may be better off doing a full cat back from a reputable company then ?

Last edited:

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion, i think there will be a bunch of us that run into some exhaust leak issues due to the new generation and Chrysler not having their dies completely dialed in yet. My personal plan is to run the setup I have now and probably switch to a catback setup when the welds finally fail on the oem exhaust. I'll try and get some pictures of what I'm describing. It simply looks like the weld dies arent aligned properly and the welds tend to run off the seam in certain areas. I also noticed that the factory tail pipes weren't completely seated properly either

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^. It’s funny that you say that about the “ factory “ tail pipes. I stated as much to my dealership and they made it seem as if I were crazy. Now my two addictions are SQ vehicles and exhaust systems. I’ve had over (10) on my Legacy GT Limited and at the least (6) on my Last Ram. Safe to say I’m pretty sure I can tell jacked up pipes.

So let me get this straight, you’re going to run with a new muffler and tail pipes until a full cat back comes out ?

NoStopN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yesterday i finally got around to adding my magnaflow muffler to my already muffler and resonator deleted factory system. I love the sound now much more but the mds is very annoying. I'm in the habit of shutting it off everytime I get in the truck. This is my 3rd or 4th time under the truck doing exhaust changes and I've noticed that there are multiple crappy welds. To the point that the y pipe has a small leak that I need to repair. Pretty bad for a 3 week old truck

When I read people type this, I expect they use a tuner & it's a permanent change (unless the tune it back on later). But, are you saying that there is a way to turn MDS off from the factory? Sorry about the question, but this is the first full-size Ram, first MDS vehicle, first Hemi,
blahblah.gif

Nola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hate that mds sound with aftermarket exhaust. I know you can turn it off with the manual shift thing or trailer tow, or tune. There is a company [Range Technology] that has been making a OBD II port plug in to deactivate GM's active fuel management [which turns off 4 cylinders] and i believe they are coming out with one for Mopar's MDS. Around $200 i think. I would be interested in that.

Last edited:

Nola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hate that mds sound with aftermarket exhaust. I know you can turn it off with the manual shift thing or trailer tow, or tune. There is a company [Range Technology] that has been making a OBD II port plug in to deactivate GM's active fuel management [which turns off 4 cylinders] and i believe they are coming out with one for Mopar's MDS. Around $200 i think. I would be interested in that.
Just looked up, they do have it now. I should have checked before i posted.

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^. It’s funny that you say that about the “ factory “ tail pipes. I stated as much to my dealership and they made it seem as if I were crazy. Now my two addictions are SQ vehicles and exhaust systems. I’ve had over (10) on my Legacy GT Limited and at the least (6) on my Last Ram. Safe to say I’m pretty sure I can tell jacked up pipes.

So let me get this straight, you’re going to run with a new muffler and tail pipes until a full cat back comes out ?

I welded in a magaflow muffler yesterday. I deleted the resonators. So right now I'm running just the mag muffler and factory tail pipes. I will keep an eye on the factory pipes and if they continue to leak through the factory welds then I will buy a cat back system to get rid of the crappy factory piping

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I read people type this, I expect they use a tuner & it's a permanent change (unless the tune it back on later). But, are you saying that there is a way to turn MDS off from the factory? Sorry about the question, but this is the first full-size Ram, first MDS vehicle, first Hemi,
blahblah.gif

Shutting off mds without tuning is very simple aside from the fact you have to turn it off everytime you put the truck into gear. When you select drive you just have to use the gear selector to select 8th gear. It'll switch through the hard as normal

NoStopN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow. I didn't think it was that simple. I just played with the gear selector just to see it work. But thanks for the tip. :shake: