Bounce issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulR1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
I have been having a bounce issue. I have New tires that are balanced correctly. I have a pretty nasty vibration/bounce when I get around 55mph and up but I feel it slightly around 35 as wellWhen I lane change at higher speeds I feel like it sways too much. I checked all links and ball joints. They are fine. So I am not sure what the issue is. I want to fix it before I get an alignment. I know not having and alignment is not the issue because of how slightly off it is. If you have had this problem please let me know. I have a 2013 bighorn 2wd with just shy of 72k miles.

OP
OP
P

PaulR1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
What I was thinking it may be is either shocks or wheel bearing/hub, but my wheel doesn’t shake when force is applied or from what I see while driving.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Could simply be wear and tear. I’m guessing they are factory and haven’t been replaced of course.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OEM shocks are typically good for about 50-100k so your right in the middle. if it does not fix it you will have a better ride from them so you cant go wrong with going that route.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the PSI on the tires. Make sure at proper inflation. That may also be a contributor.

OP
OP
P

PaulR1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
Check the PSI on the tires. Make sure at proper inflation. That may also be a contributor.
I originally had them around 38. So I then bumped it up to 42, then 45, then 50. There was no change in the bounce so I dropped it back to around 42.

OP
OP
P

PaulR1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
OEM shocks are typically good for about 50-100k so your right in the middle. if it does not fix it you will have a better ride from them so you cant go wrong with going that route.
Just ordered some fox shocks. So if it doesn’t fix it, I will still ride more comfortable after I fix the issue.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In
I originally had them around 38. So I then bumped it up to 42, then 45, then 50. There was no change in the bounce so I dropped it back to around 42.
In my my experience the more air in the tires above the recommended inflation pressure is going to make for an even more bouncier ride than not.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been having a bounce issue. I have New tires that are balanced correctly. I have a pretty nasty vibration/bounce when I get around 55mph and up but I feel it slightly around 35 as wellWhen I lane change at higher speeds I feel like it sways too much. I checked all links and ball joints. They are fine. So I am not sure what the issue is. I want to fix it before I get an alignment. I know not having and alignment is not the issue because of how slightly off it is. If you have had this problem please let me know. I have a 2013 bighorn 2wd with just shy of 72k miles.

Was the bounce present prior to the installation of the new tires?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I doubt it's your shocks. It 'could' be your shocks if the tires were out of balance and you had a 'bad' shock too ..and allowing your tire/s to bounce up and down on the road. Go back and look at your tires.

Assuming your steering is tight, More than likely you have an out-of-round tire, broken chord ..bubble, scalping going on, or maybe a weight fell off. Just because you had them balanced doesn't mean there isn't a defect. 90% of the time the tire guys throw the tire on the balancer, lower the cover and just spin away w/o ever looking at the tire for any out-of-roundness or a slightly bent rim. Spin balancing can balance a tire but won't necessarily pick up a tire that's either gone egg-shaped, or has chord or ply separation.

The easy thing to do would be to run your hands over the tires feeling for any irregularities. Or have a tire-guy do it. Road Force balancing with a Hunter Road Force balancer (best there is) would uncover the problem. You could ask them to be balanced with one those balancers. They do a fantastic job. But if the problem is a bubble or out of roundness you'd need to replace the tire.

The idea shocks are worn out at 50-100k is a hold-over myth from the 60's-80's. OEM shocks can last a long time. Thats not to say some can't fail sooner, but generally they can last way longer than they used to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PaulR1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
Was the bounce present prior to the installation of the new tires?
Yes because of a flat spot in one of the tires. When I got new tires I was hoping that would solve the issue but it did not. I’m guessing it wore out the shock because of the constant movement.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m guessing it wore out the shock because of the constant movement.

That's a definite possibility. But the weight of the vehicle should keep the tires from bouncing around ...unless they're not 'true'. If they are out of round (and that's not uncommon at all) ...I'd have your new tires checked again. Not just re-balanced, but checked for 'trueness' (if that's a real word...lol)

OP
OP
P

PaulR1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500
Engine
I doubt it's your shocks. It 'could' be your shocks if the tires were out of balance and you had a 'bad' shock too ..and allowing your tire/s to bounce up and down on the road. Go back and look at your tires.

Assuming your steering is tight, More than likely you have an out-of-round tire, broken chord ..bubble, scalping going on, or maybe a weight fell off. Just because you had them balanced doesn't mean there isn't a defect. 90% of the time the tire guys throw the tire on the balancer, lower the cover and just spin away w/o ever looking at the tire for any out-of-roundness or a slightly bent rim. Spin balancing can balance a tire but won't necessarily pick up a tire that's either gone egg-shaped, or has chord or ply separation.

The easy thing to do would be to run your hands over the tires feeling for any irregularities. Or have a tire-guy do it. Road Force balancing with a Hunter Road Force balancer (best there is) would uncover the problem. You could ask them to be balanced with one those balancers. They do a fantastic job. But if the problem is a bubble or out of roundness you'd need to replace the tire.

The idea shocks are worn out at 50-100k is a hold-over myth from the 60's-80's. OEM shocks can last a long time. Thats not to say some can't fail sooner, but generally they can last way longer than they used to.
It’s not a tire issue, I put my buddies oem rims and tires on my truck and the same effect was happening.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put my buddies oem rims and tires on my truck and the same effect was happening.

Ok, I didn't read that before (was that new information?).

Well, ..let us know if the new shocks do the trick.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As mentioned, bad shocks won't cause a vibration but a bad shock won't dampen the vibration so it will seem worse. I had a similar issue when I got new coopers for my truck. Seemed to be up front so I went back to the tire shop, Mavis, and they rebalanced the fronts. No change so I went back a few days later & had them realize all 4. Tech said they had a problem with the balancer they initially used so he used a different balancer, problem solved.

So the buddies tires that you tried with no luck are smooth on his rig? Sure a weight or 2 didn't fall of while you were mounting his tires?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Check your driveshafts u-joints and front axle CV's make sure they aren't wobbly or rusty around the u-joints. That can cause a vibration and you would swear it was the tires.