Brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Who else thinks the pw brakes suck? Anyone have any suggestions on what brake pads to put on?

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Suck is a strong word. Could they be better? Sure. I wish there was a site that did measurement testing of different brake pads but i haven't found one. So we are left shifting through subjective reviews of what feels better than stock.

That said, I was think about trying a set of Power Stop Z36 pads. They seem to get good reviews.

BevisIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l hemi
Mine work pretty good uphill. On the down hill I just aim for the bushes. Wish I could have a manual transmission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Mine work pretty good uphill. On the down hill I just aim for the bushes. Wish I could have a manual transmission.
I'm second on the manual transmission, especially in driving down the Colorado hills. If you rely on the brakes to slow down the heavy Power Wagon across the Great Divide, then your not going have them for long.

Last edited:

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I find the hill decent control, works very well even with 10,000lbs on a 21' flatbed trailer. I just flip the knob, turn on the trailer brake control, the hill descent control, and, the tow haul button, and I'm good to go. It doesn't even feel like I have a trailer on at all.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I find the hill decent control, works very well even with 10,000lbs on a 21' flatbed trailer. I just flip the knob, turn on the trailer brake control, the hill descent control, and, the tow haul button, and I'm good to go. It doesn't even feel like I have a trailer on at all.
Yours must have some additional options of which my Power Wagon Tradesman lacks. Hill descent control on it is for 4 low range and there's no knob to flip. Trailer brake control is automatic once the wire plugs in and the strength is adjusted on the dash or manually one can apply those brakes.

Have had issues of the trailer brake wiring staying in all the way coming down some steep rocky grades and lose the trailer brakes electrical connection. Although it's in there, but not good enough sometimes with the jarring. On steep grades like coming down the east side of Sonora Pass at 26%, it's still a bit dicey keeping at slower speed when towing even with my Power Wagon. Mixture of revving up 1st gear and applying the brakes.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJnKLwHCnL72vedxjQkDDP1mXWo6uco/wiki/Sonora_Pass.html

Last edited:

Chrisy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I do have a bit difference, I always have 10,000lbs on and test my trailer brake control on a trun. It never whines or comes undone. I don't spifically know what the grade is but my speed isn't very fast in 4xlow.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I have since hung my trailer wiring across the tongue of the trailer over the ball mount and have had no issues with my trailer brake wiring having any disconnect issues. I took the weight of the trailer wiring off of the connection.

I too use 1st gear 4 low when descending steep grades. Just north of Seminoe Dam in Wyoming there's a very long and steep dirt highway grade. The Power Wagon will automatically rev up to approximately 4,000 RPM in 1st gear 4 low and then it will slow the truck and trailer down automatically to around 2,500 RPM. It must be self braking the truck and trailer. It repeated this for the several miles until the road was of a lesser incline. Never had to put my foot on the brakes.

Last edited:

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just had my first emergency stop experience the other day and I was NOT impressed. Foot to the floor and the ABS never kicked in, the brakes couldn’t overcome the tires. Plus my brakes are SUPER noisy and I only have 13k miles. I wouldn’t be opposed to a stronger setup that makes less noise but want first hand reviews by HD owners first.

Ballistic308

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Look at EBC Yellow and Green stuff pads.

Again...there will be zero disappointment. I have EBC slotted and dimple rotors with yellow stuff pads. I replaced the yellow stuff pads after their service life with green stuff as I’m towing more now. I as well as many others are customers forever.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I just had my first emergency stop experience the other day and I was NOT impressed. Foot to the floor and the ABS never kicked in, the brakes couldn’t overcome the tires. Plus my brakes are SUPER noisy and I only have 13k miles. I wouldn’t be opposed to a stronger setup that makes less noise but want first hand reviews by HD owners first.

The brakes are controlled electronically to not go into ABS in a panic stop. It’s incredibly hard to activate ABS on dry pavement in these trucks, and that is by design. Can’t recall the name of the system, but it’s in your owners manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PW2018PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have since hung my trailer wiring across the tongue of the trailer over the ball mount and have had no issues with my trailer brake wiring having any disconnect issues. I took the weight of the trailer wiring off of the connection.

I too use 1st gear 4 low when descending steep grades. Just north of Seminoe Dam in Wyoming there's a very long and steep dirt highway grade. The Power Wagon will automatically rev up to approximately 4,000 RPM in 1st gear 4 low and then it will slow the truck and trailer down automatically to around 2,500 RPM. It must be self braking the truck and trailer. It repeated this for the several miles until the road was of a lesser incline. Never had to put my foot on the brakes.

Your towing a trailer in 4 low? For miles??

That sounds horrible. I try to never let my truck shift out of first while in 4 low...I couldn't even imagine trying to tow a trailer at 1mph

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The brakes are controlled electronically to not go into ABS in a panic stop. It’s incredibly hard to activate ABS on dry pavement in these trucks, and that is by design. Can’t recall the name of the system, but it’s in your owners manual.

Um...abs brakes kick in when tires slip, plain and simple. My trucks inability to apply the brakes hard enough for the tires to break free of the pavement is concerning.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Um...abs brakes kick in when tires slip, plain and simple. My trucks inability to apply the brakes hard enough for the tires to break free of the pavement is concerning.

Read your manual. It’s 2018, nothing is plain and simple anymore.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Your towing a trailer in 4 low? For miles??

That sounds horrible. I try to never let my truck shift out of first while in 4 low...I couldn't even imagine trying to tow a trailer at 1mph
Yes, 4 low and holding it with the gear selector in 1st gear, but not with the hill descent on. If the hill descent were on then the highest setting is 5.6 mph. With it off it actually holds it back to around 15 mph which is fast enough on a very steep section of the washboard gravel Seminoe Road in Wyoming. It is a typical sharp cornered, long, and very steep road found in many locations within the Mountain States.

https://www.travelwyoming.com/listing/rawlins/seminoe-alcova-scenic-backway

Last edited:

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Again...there will be zero disappointment. I have EBC slotted and dimple rotors with yellow stuff pads. I replaced the yellow stuff pads after their service life with green stuff as I’m towing more now. I as well as many others are customers forever.

I try EBC yellow stuff once. Wasn't impressed. They didn't even last a weekend at the track. This was on a 2800 lb car, can't imagine them lasting on a 7500lb truck.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Read your manual. It’s 2018, nothing is plain and simple anymore.

If the tires break loose during braking, especially during an emergency maneuver, the ABS is supposed to kick on. That is LITERALLY the only thing that system is designed to do. In what universe would it make sense for them to be programmed NOT to come on if slamming the brakes on in an emergency situation? Can you look on the online manual and share with me the page you think this alleged system is on?

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I've had good results from akebono in my previous Cars.