Brakes /caliper squeaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Botelho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi v8
Has anyone had any brake issues on 19 big horn where caliper are squeaking when hitting potholes or manhole covers or some times when pushing on brake pedal.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My post is going to be long but thorough...….enjoy? the read

I and some others on the other site have the issue. The issue is with the lobe of the brake pads rubbing against the anti-rattle clips, making the chirp or squeak sound.

While you may know this, I am writing so everyone understands....Disc brake pads sit in an anti-rattle clip, the clip sits on the caliper. Brake pads are designed to float away from the rotor when not in use so they do not cause friction that would increase pad / rotor wear as well as drag that will hurt fuel economy. The clip's job is to keep things quiet! and every car with disc brakes have them.

One way to confirm it is indeed the clip issue is to apply slight brake pedal pressure and hit some bumps, if it is quiet, it is the design of this clipping method Ram is using that is making the squeak or chirp.

I have had it in 3 times for this issue and still have the issue, although almost every attempt did provide a temporary cure. First time, they simply greased the caliper pins and anti-rattle clips. That kept them quiet for about 1k miles. 2nd time, they replaced the pads that used a redesigned anti-rattle clip that had more attachment points vs. the old style. That kept them quiet for about 1k miles. 3rd, time, they replaced the front Calipers to an updated version. They did not however replace pads or clips at that time which is why I suspect that replacement did nothing to quiet them down.

Since, Ram Care got involved and reached out to the Dealer's Service Manager. They concluded that there is nothing more that can be done at this time and closed the case.

It is annoying, my 2019 truck sounds like a 70s dually work truck at times. Note that I say at times. I've noticed a pattern, cooler days, quick trips equals less noise. Hotter days or longer trips equals more noise. I suppose it is just the viscosity of the grease and it's relation to temperature.

I am a laid back person and there are many people who would be seeking a LL Lawyer at this point. I tend to think about the other 30k parts they got right as this has been my only issue with the truck. This issue will be increasing as people get more miles on their trucks and Ram will give it the attention it deserves at that time and a real fix will come to light down the road. I attribute my early detection of the issue due to living in Pennsylvania which I wager has the worst roads in America! LOL Seriously though, it's bad. You can literally cross the border from any outside state and you immediately know you are in Pa by just the road maintenance and feel.

Good luck! At the very least, you can get the updated Calipers and Pads and have some quiet time, just know that it will come back one day.

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My original issue was a moaning or groaning sound when backing up after the truck sat for awhile. I took the truck into the dealer and they apparently replaced the rear pads and some hardware. That fixed the issue for about 500 miles. After that the brakes started to squeak. This squeaking happened at all different times of operation. First thing when backing up, 100 miles into a trip when coming to a stop, etc... This got worse and worse until I finally had enough. I took the rear brakes apart and lubed up the slide pins and the backs of the pads/ where they contact the clips. Two out of the four slide pins had practically no lube on them. Ive gone about 200 miles since then with no squeaks. We will see how long it lasts.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My original issue was a moaning or groaning sound when backing up after the truck sat for awhile. I took the truck into the dealer and they apparently replaced the rear pads and some hardware. That fixed the issue for about 500 miles. After that the brakes started to squeak. This squeaking happened at all different times of operation. First thing when backing up, 100 miles into a trip when coming to a stop, etc... This got worse and worse until I finally had enough. I took the rear brakes apart and lubed up the slide pins and the backs of the pads/ where they contact the clips. Two out of the four slide pins had practically no lube on them. Ive gone about 200 miles since then with no squeaks. We will see how long it lasts.

Yep, I’ve done the same in-between service visits. Clean and grease up the pins and clip contact points. Keeps it quiet a bit.