Broken Exhaust manifold Studs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

Thanks to the forum, I found the exhaust leak on my 2004 5.7 Hemi. Broken Exhaust Studs. Both sides.

If you have seen any of my other posts, I bought this truck cheap but it needed lots of TLC and has been getting it since I bought it. I think the broken studs are signs of hard offroad use. (also got that from forum)

I see by the parts list it is a combination of studs & bolts.

So my first question is... Does anyone have any good advice on removing the exhaust manifolds?

Second question.. Maybe kind of an opinion poll... Once I remove the manifolds should I assume other studs have been stressed and change all the studs, risking breaking off a stud in the head that did not need to be changed? or just replace the broken studs and leave the rest alone?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome bud. You can soak the remaining bolts and try pulling them out. The collectors are not to bad to undue at the back if the mans, the retained nuts might break but can replace them with reg nuts. I would swap all of them and if its ever in your plans toss in a set of shorties in there.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Yep and do it when the Truck is cold. Can Take the inner fenders out too will make it easier. There is a liquid wrench Gel that works good and doesen't run off when sprayed!

Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:imo:Replace all the studs. Everytime they are torqued down they stretch and are weakened. The heating of the block and manifold also puts stress on the studs. That is why they snap. When buying replacements, make sure you get the proper grade or go one better. This is one place not to skimp on quality.

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there somewhere you can buy a compete replacement set of studs/bolts? I'll be upgrading to headers soon and would like to have these handy.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First, it is very common for the manifold studs to break on Hemi's so I would not attribute it to abuse.

Second, like others said, soak all of the studs with liquid wrench/wd40/pb blaster the night before you are going to take them off. I would also have a set of vice grips handy for when you take the manifolds off. You should be able to grab the broken stud with the vice grips and spin them out of the head.

Last, it sounds like a great excuse to get headers since you have to take the manifolds off anyway :birgits_tiredcoffee

hawk02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Viper 8.3l 505ci 10cyl
Shorties time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally got around to getting the job done. I removed the wheel wells and soaked the bolts overnight with PB blaster. I removed them the next day. The two rear bolts on both sides where broke off at the head of the bolt. Leaving lots of bolt exposed to get a hold of them and take them out. Everything came out easily, except for one.

One bolt forward of the rear two on the passenger side was broke off in the head. You could not get a drill on it easily to use an extractor, the frame had a mount for the upper control arm in the way. I tried many methods to get it out without spending too much money, finally I bought some left hand drill bits & a right angle drive for my drill. It came out while drilling, I did not even need the extractor.

The truck sounds much better now, thank for everyone’s input.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wish i saw this thread eaelier. I have all the nuts and bolts. For the exhaust manifold i think. Havnt counted them but its a lot. Lol

HemiHudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7Hemi
Hey I've also snapped mine off in the pass side. I've planned to replace bolts on both sides but I'm not sure which style of headers I want or for that matter I could put on. I'm looking for some guidance. Emissions are not a concern. I have a 4x4 so do all styles fit? I've had shorty equal lengths of my 95 5.0 mustang and long tubes on my 91 5.0. Both had their challenges with proper sensor placement and fitment. Kinda want to get some advice in advance for my hemi headers. Thanks fellas

OP
OP
JeffBeck

JeffBeck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi- I just kept my stock exhaust Manifolds, though when I was in the processes a lot of members suggested shorty's. I don't know if that is a brand or just a style. The plastic inner fenders come out quite easily, that along with taking the tire off on the side you are working on makes the job easy. Have Fun!