BT Catch Can Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwend

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a Catch Can from Moe's a couple of weeks back. This weekend I changed my oil (about 500 miles since installing the can) I knew I wouldn't have a lot of oil in the can, but I figured I'd better check anyway. Does it always come out looking like chocolate milk
MfVkXPp

Edit:

Adding URL in case the imgur pic doesn't post: Link to pic

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
yeah, I've heard other people mentioning it looking something like that, I think someone said it might have to do with water getting caught, hopefully someone with some first hand knowledge will post up soon.

OP
OP
K

kwend

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That makes total sense but I guess I wasn't expecting it to look sooooo milky

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
When temps are cool you get more condensation in the can, making it look like coffee with cream or milk. It will also catch more the colder it is, when it was -30 and -40 I was dumping a full can every tank of gas D:

Once it warms up and stays warm it will be darker, and there will be way less caught, I think I was dumping it once a month last fall and it wasn't even full yet

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is definitely due to cold weather and short trips. Mine looked like that all winter. I only drive 3 mins to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
K

kwend

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thanks all. I had a worry in the back of my mind about this, but thats long gone now

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just think....at least that ***** not being recirculated anymore lol

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im a noob here, but if you guys are "dumping/catching" a almost quart of bad oil every week or so, that that oil will need to be replaced in the motor. So you are/were adding a quart of oil a week in cold weather? Imma noob, but I am wanting the CC.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We also had a BRUTALLY cold winter and what I caught was very milky, but I've never caught nearly as much as anyone else. I bet I have less than a litre over 27,000Km. Still better than having it recirculated through the engine though!

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
Im a noob here, but if you guys are "dumping/catching" a almost quart of bad oil every week or so, that that oil will need to be replaced in the motor. So you are/were adding a quart of oil a week in cold weather? Imma noob, but I am wanting the CC.

A lot of the stuff caught in winter is condensation from the cold, I run 10,000km oil changes with synthetic and usually only have to add 1 litre of oil between changes

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The capacity of these catch cans are maybe 8 ounces or so (not exactly sure) so it's not really a lot being dumped out, a few ounces maybe. I empty about 2 ounces every 1000 miles, maybe more depending on weather. Like Alex said, it will catch more in cold weather due to moisture condensation. I have not had to add any oil after 3000 miles on this last change, still on the full mark.
They are worth the investment, especially if you plan on future performance mods.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7

It's no where close to a quart...

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As mentioned, what is caught in the Catch Can is not just oil, there is other stuff mixed with it. It is not much oil being caught compared to the amount of oil in the engine.

Another thing to keep in mind, we are simply catching it before it gets dumped into the intake to be burned with the gas.

So, it's not like we are removing anything extra, this gunk would be gone anyways.