Build nearly complete 18PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
first place to start is with Thuren. a couple main factors.

Rear trackbar
Swaybar
Coils/Shocks

changing over to thuren suspension with kings, coils, and both trackbars was a massive improvement. all you should really need to get er done.

but what totally transformed my truck(considering im in your exact position), was the swaybar disconnect. (i do not have experience with the Thuren active rate Sway bar)(i believe thurens swaybar will not make your GF any happier)

disco swaybar on road is the best improvement ive made to the truck.
you must have a solid tuned "tight" suspension to run no front sway on road for safety in emergency scenarios like evasive maneuvers.
stock suspension and no swaybar and youll feel like your driving a canoe. With the thuren kings and coils, the body roll is mitigated with tuning and negates the need for a swaybar with no load.

no HD truck bounce here.

I appreciate your comments and first hand info. But one question... would a different sway bar, or even a removed sway bar actually have any effect at all on the tuning for expansion joints on a freeway? I mean, dosnt the sway bar mainly only deal with sway and such? I would think straight up and down bumps/movement would not have much to do with the sway bar at all.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
mostly no in theory but not in my experience so far.
your assumption would mean that my thuren tuned suspension would not have any improvement with no swaybar over expansion joints or speed bump shaped objects.

but as i feel it. when you release the sway bar at speed, the entire truck softens up.. i assume with the swaybar, any up and down movement of the axle and sway bar links will transfer some reverberation/rebound into the frame and cab......

AND with the crown of the road. if your not 100% level, and you go over a truck wide expansion joint or bump, the entire chassis gets unsettled due to the torque/tension on the sway bar.

With a swaybar released on an off camber highway is when you can feel the most improvement. the truck will float with less energy transfer into the cab, even if minimal, it feels like your further insulated from road imperfections.

lincoln125

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you do all the work yourself, or did you use a local shop? If you used a local shop, could you share? I too live in South Florida.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you do all the work yourself, or did you use a local shop? If you used a local shop, could you share? I too live in South Florida.

Brandons auto and truck if your near Pompano.

they will crush any truck or jeep build. but with any shop, tell them Exactly what your looking for.
in doing that, Brandon had to make a few of his own calls on fab work based off my guidance. As you can see, they did a kick ass job. but it was pretty much 1 week of labor for these parts....

wish i had time and a better back to do it myself, going in for a MAS TLIF in 2 weeks.
legitimately, besides the arb and tank brackets, this parts bolt right up and are super DIY friendly.

Rbohno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Powerwagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bad ass Wagon, dude! Hey does the Thuren system dampen out or eliminate the HD Truck bounce on concrete expansion joints?
I know that's not the main design point for a stage 3/2 suspension but I need just a little more persuasion with my wife for a Thuren upgrade and telling her less wiggle when she's shotgun will go a long, long way.
Thanks

2016 RAM 2500 pw | 392ci w 6spd | CAI w ARH long tubes & Solo | Diablo T2 w HF tune | 5.13 AAM w 35" Mickey MTs | Custom Graphics w illegal tint | Dodge Off-Road

I have had the 2” leveling kit (Thuren coils and Overland shocks) on
* 2015 2500 CC Cummins
* 2015 2500 CC 6.4 Hemi
* 2016 3500 CC Cummins

On ALL applications it smoothed out the ride enough to get in and go “WOW” after driving it so for $500 material plus alignment and you will be impressed.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had the 2” leveling kit (Thuren coils and Overland shocks) on
* 2015 2500 CC Cummins
* 2015 2500 CC 6.4 Hemi
* 2016 3500 CC Cummins

On ALL applications it smoothed out the ride enough to get in and go “WOW” after driving it so for $500 material plus alignment and you will be impressed.

I would have to guess that doing the rear springs and shocks would further add to the wow factor, tying it all in with a balanced feel. Even on a power wagon with the softer rear springs.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Wow, looking good friend. Question, whos wheel is this? Also, would you be able to remove the bead ring if I wanted to paint it a difference color?

Who's bumper is that and what lift do you have?

Tire size?

thanks!

View attachment 153255
What tire mount? I have mine in the bed thinking about using my b$w turnover ball and rigging something. And ditto on thuren. I love mine although I’m not in a power wagon. But still have tons of fun

D2E530C9-2375-4B18-9DC1-54097689B3EF.jpeg

1F887B6E-BA17-4A54-80E2-388E64100036.jpeg

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
how do you like that BakFlip? Have you had others that you could compare to the bakflip? Does the monuting rails for the bakflip get in the way of everyday hauling? (i.e. does the refridgerator you bring home break the rails? Does the rails catch on the fabric of the tent or folding chairs as you try to lift those out? Hypothetical, just examples - how do you find the rails in everyday hauling of "stuff"?)

jagu366

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hey pwjouster, great truck. Any chance that you made install pics of the air compressor in the rambox? Thanks.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I appreciate your comments and first hand info. But one question... would a different sway bar, or even a removed sway bar actually have any effect at all on the tuning for expansion joints on a freeway? I mean, dosnt the sway bar mainly only deal with sway and such? I would think straight up and down bumps/movement would not have much to do with the sway bar at all.

The rear track bar will eliminate that stupid waggle completely from expansion joints.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The rear track bar will eliminate that stupid waggle completely from expansion joints.

If you think it’s completely eliminated your expansion joints aren’t bumpy enough or you aren’t hitting them fast enough. It is GREATLY reduced.

The only way to eliminate it completely is with a suspension that doesn’t rely on track bars for lateral axle location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you think it’s completely eliminated your expansion joints aren’t bumpy enough or you aren’t hitting them fast enough. It is GREATLY reduced.

The only way to eliminate it completely is with a suspension that doesn’t rely on track bars for lateral axle location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention, APPOSING trackbars.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

They're not very far apart here. But the difference was night and day to a degree I'd argue it's almost gone completely. But Idaho's roads are pretty good. Compared to other places.

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
HAHAHAHA! It's never done. Stop lying to yourself. :p

but as it relates to possible upgrades.... ive maxed out my Thuren parts list and everything left is replacing what wears.

last Add on items-

Dethloff skid
Truss
Straps
Hydraulic bumps?
rear bumper
CB/HAM radio
Rugged Radio with in vehicle VOX

items waiting for wear to be replaced/upgraded-

ball joints
pads and rotors
37s
drag link
tie rod

OP
OP
pwjouster

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the thuren rear trackbar is ideal and necessary if you travel on the highway at highway speeds.

you wont notice it going slowly.

When it does feel like its eliminated the wiggle is at legal highway speeds.
Id feels like only an improvement when your traveling over 90MPH

there is an expansion joint here, along with 2 or three pavement layer changes.
at 70MPH the truck floats.
at 90+MPH the truck wiggles underneath you, steering wheel included, but you continue to have white knuckle control.
-this is where i feel like a stiffer tie rod and drag link will help with actual control, but not comfort.
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.260...4!1stSl86FzuOKMhxtcxuXwoFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

if you continue on the highway, you will see the left edge of the left lane has multiple layers and is off camber with the crown of the road.
this is the where the benefits of daily driving a thuren truck come into play.