Build or buy subwoofer enclosure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Build or buy subwoofer enclosure - W/ PICS

I'm getting ready to order some new 6.5" components for the front doors, amp, and 10" sub. I'm looking at the following:

Alpine MRX-V60 5 Channel Amp
10 inch Rockford Fosgate P2D410 subwoofer
Alpine SPS-600C component speakers

First off, does that look like a decent set up? I already have an after-market Alpine head unit and Alpine 6.5" 2-ways for the back doors. I'm not looking to go top of the line, but I want something that is going to sound good and give me a solid system.

My main question is about the subwoofer box. Looking at the Fox Box, I can get a single 10" box for $125. I know they get great reviews. But I'm also a DIY kind of guy and I love building things myself. I was thinking of doing a fiberglass enclosure, but I've never done one so it would be my first time. I'm not even sure how much I would be spending on materials and time to do it myself. Would I just be better off buying the Fox Box?

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Alpine Components will be nice. They sound good amped.

I would NOT get a 5 channel amp Personally. I had 3 over the years, I always ate up the Mono Sub amp part, and had to replace the whole Amplifier. This was YEARS ago, but it's still a bitter taste in my mouth.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I cant give you much advice on the speakers and all because I dont know too much about audio stuff. But I would say build the box if youre a DIY kind of guy. I built mine and it was no problem, pretty much my first time using fiberglass too. Youd be saving a good amount of money also. Check out some of the threads, ive seen some how to's i believe on here

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much can't go wrong with a fox box from what I've seen/heard, but if you like building stuff, I'd go ahead and do that, DIY's are some of the best mods :)

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Thanks for the feedback y'all. I'm still toying with my wishlist. I'm thinking again about getting a 4 channel amp for the door speakers and a mono amp for the sub. I liked the idea of the 5 channel amp just because it would be less work running wires and all, but I can get separate alpine amps for just about the same money and push more power to the sub.

So my next question, would it be better to get a 2 Ohm sub so the amp can push more power to it or just stick with a 4 Ohm sub? Does it make a lot of difference? I'm thinking if they both take the same RMS wattage, running a 2 ohm sub with the amp not having to push at full power would be better for the amp in the long run.

And as far as the enclosure goes, I'm leaning more and more toward the fox box. That way I don't have all the mess, smell and hassle of building the fiberglass box myself. But it's still something I'd love to do someday.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A dual voice 4 ohm sub will do just fine and may be a bit more musical to your ear. They do roll on and off nicely. I agree with your thought, get a separate amp for the sub. Also get a remote gain control knob.

The only amp that I've run that handles 4 channels + a sub woofer effectively without breaking down is the Audison LRx 4.1K

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Why does everything have to keep getting more expensive and involved? *sigh* So here is what my shopping list looks like currently:

Alpine 4 channel amp
Alpine mono sub amp
10" Rockford Fosgate sub
Alpine component speakers
10" single Fox Box

Then KnuKonceptz wiring kit, distribution block, some speaker wire...

I'm up to almost $700 and I haven't even included the MDF and carpet for an amp "rack" behind the seat. I want great sound, but I keep thinking about other things I could spend that money on. I've almost talked myself out of getting all of this stuff again. That would be 3 birthdays in a row I've talked myself out of it. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!

Reesycup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
Buy a box or have a shop make you one. There is a reason we are in business.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Alright, it's all ordered. Now I'm almost giddy with excitement...I haven't had a good system since before I got married...16+ years ago.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That is a good looking list. Congrats I bet your neighbors will not be too happy with you. :)

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Heh, I have another neighbor with a 2004 Ram with a decent audio system and an exhaust and his is silver too. If all else fails maybe I can make people think I'm him. :)

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
My first package arrived today...4 AWG amp installation kit, distribution block and wire from Knu Konceptz. The speakers and amps have shipped but probably won't be here until Monday. But that doesn't even matter since the fox box still shows a status of processing even though my credit card has been charged. Patience isn't my strongest quality.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Well the speakers and amps arrived today. Still no sign of the fox box. Think I need to send an email or make a phone call on that one.

Anyway, I started installing today. Everything went really well until I decided to test the amps and make sure they turned on. Nothing. My first thought was that it was a bad ground. Spent a couple of hours on it. Then just thought I would check remote turn on wire. Voila!!! Power.

So, the RCA plugs with the remote wire included didn't work out so well. I ran a new remote wire and we are back in business.

Hopefully tomorrow I can get the wires installed and all of the interior put back together.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Well...almost done. You know it's kind of nerve racking cutting holes in your door panels for tweeters. :baby:

All is hooked up and working except for the sub. My fox box shipped today so I should have it soon. I tested the sub to make sure it worked.

Things left to do: tune the amps, install the sub, and I think I need to redo the amp rack behind the seat. What I did was just attach the amps to a piece of MDF and then screwed that into backing material on the back wall. It seems to be holding okay and there are no holes in the cab. But the seat doesn't fold up and down like i want because it's hitting the amps.

So, I'm going to cut that backing piece out and get a piece of 5/8 MDF and make a piece that will replace that whole bottom part. I've seen it done on other forums. With it being 5/8 you can slide it behind the trim pieces in the back and then fasten it with some metal brackets to the seat belt bolts. Means I will have to take the back seat out again, but I'm a pro at that now. And I will have to anyway when the box arrives so I can install the spacers. Then I will fasten all of the wires down really well too.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
where are the pics bro! sounds really cool man

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Heh...I knew someone was going to ask for that. Soon. As soon as I get the box and make the new amp rack I'll snap some pics. Right now it's still too messy.

On another note...It looks like my power window controls finally went out for good. They have gone out a couple of times and I was able to clean off the connections and get them working again. But now they won't work at all. I'm getting power to the connector but no windows operation...so looks like I'll be buying a new one. *sigh*

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
yeah I have to get a new actuator for my door lock

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
My fox box still hasn't gotten here. I hadn't heard anything so Tuesday I sent them an email asking for an update. A little later I got an email from them stating that my order had shipped. It showed on the Fedex site that the anticipated ship date was 2/21 and it would be delivered on 2/23.

Well, 2/23 came and went and no change on the status on the Fedex site. Today, it still shows that the shipment information has been sent to Fedex but it has not been picked up yet. No anticipated delivery date. *sigh*

Is there anything I can do to create a temporary way to mount the sub that will sound decent but not cost me an arm and leg? I just want something to hold me over until the fox box gets here...if it ever does.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Still no box and therefore no sub. Has anyone had issues with Fox Acoustics in the past? I've sent a couple of emails but I'm not getting any responses. I don't want to pester him, but I really want my box.