Buried the truck going to a trout stream

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ccravillion

Ccravillion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With the 3.55 gears would I be able to put a 35" tire that is more a Aggressive like the duratrac

AOFA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6
The tires that come on the 1500s are not Silent Armour in Canada without an upgrade. They are similar to the Goodyear SR-A. I can not remember the exact model. They are basically a bigger passenger car tire. And I'm 99% sure they are 4 ply.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tried 4 low couldn't seem to keep front tires spinning tires are wrangler silent armor

4 Lo doesn't give you a front locker.
It only sends power to the front wheel with the least amount of traction.

I am sure a lack of ground clearance hurt you a lot here too.
When you start trying to plow mud, you won't get very far.

If this is the typical use of your truck, I'd advise a lift and knobby tires, front air locker and a winch. If you can't afford it all, maybe you shouldn't play in these areas.

Sorry you got stuck, that sucks, I think we've ALL been there before.:yucky:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The tires that come on the 1500s are not Silent Armour in Canada without an upgrade. They are similar to the Goodyear SR-A. I can not remember the exact model. They are basically a bigger passenger car tire. And I'm 99% sure they are 4 ply.

Outdoorsman's and mossy oak editions come with silent armors, otherwise they are a $50 upgrade on the trucks with 17's.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Silent armours that come stock are not the same as the ones you buy from a dedicated goodyear dealer. OEM buy parts to lowest bidder even tires and tire manufactures will build them to the lowest price. That is why on a 300 you will need to put new tires on after 20k miles.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The Silent armours that come stock are not the same as the ones you buy from a dedicated goodyear dealer. OEM buy parts to lowest bidder even tires and tire manufactures will build them to the lowest price. That is why on a 300 you will need to put new tires on after 20k miles.

What is the difference between them? I know like on the grand cherokees the put a special set of even crappier michelin latitudes than you get from a dealer but as far as I know a wrangler silent armor is a wrangler silent armor.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Usually milage and wear charictaristics and will have a different sidewall or something to distiguish from real ones to factory ones. It would be cool to see that they are the real deal on there but in my experience thats never the case.

AOFA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins I6
Thats exactly right Etroz. The reason im jaded on this subject was from my first dodge I bought in 2001. My tires were worn 80% in 9000km. No exaggeration. Goodyear replaced them free. I ran the new ones for another 25000 km with virtually no wear. I was told they use a softer rubber compound to smooth the trucks out and give a better ride and feel.
Never again will I run tires from the factory.
So heads up everyone... just sayin

OP
OP
Ccravillion

Ccravillion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4 Lo doesn't give you a front locker.
It only sends power to the front wheel with the least amount of traction.

I am sure a lack of ground clearance hurt you a lot here too.
When you start trying to plow mud, you won't get very far.

If this is the typical use of your truck, I'd advise a lift and knobby tires, front air locker and a winch. If you can't afford it all, maybe you shouldn't play in these areas.

Sorry you got stuck, that sucks, I think we've ALL been there before.:yucky:

Ya I don't get into mud that often but would love a lift kit in the meantime I will prob just get bigger tires if 3.55 can handle them

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Youll need a 2.0 inch front level kit, 35 inch tires, and 1/4 inch spacers for the rims. Your UCAs on the 12 should be OK.

billybob12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How bout this... Don't be a stupid idiot and stay out of the mud! Thanks to people much like yourself, many Forest Service roads have been closed in my area. Be respectful of your environment and the terrain. You can always park and walk, you probably need the exercise anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How bout this... Don't be a stupid idiot and stay out of the mud! Thanks to people much like yourself, many Forest Service roads have been closed in my area. Be respectful of your environment and the terrain. You can always park and walk, you probably need the exercise anyways.

Why be rude?? :chillpill:

Reactions: KTM

Esgordon123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

I bet Si would not be rude like this. Didn't your mother ever say if you don't have nothing nice to say then keep you mouth shut. In this case your fingers still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel

The first time I buried a truck was when I was leaving a hunting area in Idaho. The ground looked solid and things were easy driving in. On the drive out we buried three trucks due to the softening of the ground and trying to avoid the area each one sank in. Sometimes this happens. Thankfully we met some great people who helped out versus clowns like you who judge before you think.

Sent from this thing in my hand

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I hate the factory wrangler tires I can't wait for them to wear out! Even rain is scary with them. Only way to having a fighting chance is to gun it, better tires, and a winch. 2x8 or 10s may give you a little chance probably better than nothing.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
With the 3.55 gears would I be able to put a 35" tire that is more a Aggressive like the duratrac

I run a 285/60/20 duratrac with 3.55 gears, will likely never run another tire again, maybe different size but not tire, and as mentioned hold the traction off button for about 10 seconds and it will show that its completely off, 13+ models need to be in 4wd for this dont matter if its auto hi or lo as long as its 4, i dont know for sure what year it started that it had to be in 4wd, my buddy has a 09 or 10 cant remember but he can hold the button in 2wd and it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Why be rude?? :chillpill:

I bet Si would not be rude like this. Didn't your mother ever say if you don't have nothing nice to say then keep you mouth shut. In this case your fingers still.

Yes she did....but she also told me to always tell the truth.

Intention to be rude or not.....what he said is all too true. Many areas are now closed off all around the country due to inconsiderate people trying to drive the roads/trails in trucks not even close to be properly equippped. They get stuck and have to call for help, and/or they trash the road/trail so bad no one else can use it.

I have been wheeling for years and known to do some crazy stuff, but I would not have tried that with stock tires in an expensive truck with no lift.

Damage sucks, but it happens when the vehicle isn't quite up to the task yet. So, if yer gonna do stuff like this....get to modding dude......at least that way, the money you spend goes to cover what YOU want it to, not repairs.

And oh yeah....for the guy moment.......if you would take the time to actually read your owners manual, it will tell you that the only time ESC/TC is completely off is in 4lo (and even then, it is not 100% off - as it comes partially back above 40 mph based on driveshaft speed, not actual vehicle speed).

And as was said above, you will never be able to keep both front tires spinning unless they are in the air, as your front diff is open, which means when one get traction, it stops spinning, and the other just spins faster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ccravillion

Ccravillion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
its not like it was a huge mud hole on the way in i drove straight through just fine then it must have thawed out while we were fishing as the ground was frozen yet up there and i do have a 2.5" level and my tires may not be mt but they aren't stock and i ran the same tires on my grand cherokee and they have gone through stuff like this many times. if guys want to attack me for asking advise and what kind of recovery equipment to use let them do it ill still sleep at night