Buying 2500 - Need Insight (Cummins vs. Hemi)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just a quick related question for a co-worker that's looking for a used 3500 CTD.

Aren't there 2 transmissions options?
What are they?
Depending on what year, there is three.
The Aisin(found behind the HO CTD), 68RFE and manual.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
$37k is a heck of a price

Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap he head around this. For some comparison, I bought my 2014 6.4 in March of 2014. It's an Outdoorsman which is esentially a Big Horn with some tow hooks and a bit less chrome and more body color. Cloth seats but 8.4 Uconnect. Nice but nowhere near as nice as the Laramie. I paid 39K...... 5 years ago!

It's paid off and I was curious what it's worth and the private party value is still around 25K. I can't imagine anyone giving me 25K when a new, better optioned one can be had for 37K. I almost think buying one of these remaining 2018s would be the best investment as it would depreciate less (and not just raw $$, % too). Not that "investment" and "buy truck" ever belong in the same sentence.

OP, it's a tough choice and the new model year coming with the 8spd certainly adds a wrinkle. I'm kind of turning into a cheap old man and don't know if I'd be able to pass up that 37K. A couple thousand for a re-gear makes the tranny much more manageable and you'd still be lots of money ahead.

I'm hauling an 11K+ 5th wheel with the non-towing friendly 3.73 gears out west with lots of hills. Basically, everything against me and it gets the job done. I could easily afford a new truck but am just trying to be more wise these days. Point being, it's not so bad that I just can't take it.

The good news for you is there really isn't a wrong choice.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get the 6.4 Hemi, get a '19 with the 8-speed transmission. You might wait until the fall when discounts on 2019's are similar to current discounts on new 2018's. I really want a 2500 Big Horn Mega Cab 6.4 with 4.10's. My trailer is only 7,000 lbs. I drive 25K year - 10-15% of that towing. However, my daily commute is shorter and includes some stop and go city traffic. I'm not sure my driving habits are best suited for a CTD. I think the cost of ownership on the Hemi will be cheaper. However, if I needed to tow more than 10K pounds, I would own a CTD. But I would not get a 4th gen 6.4 with 6/speed. I can't imagine that would tow (power wise) any better than my 5.7 1500 with 3.92 gears and 8-speed transmission.

Jesse1031

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 28' travel trailer that I tow regularly. I have never had the 6.4 but I did have the 5.7 that I had when I first got my trailer. While it would pull it, it wasn't fun by any means. Any hill or slight inline and the motor was screaming just to maintain any speed. Bear in mind my trailer in around 8-9k plus gear in the bed. I finally had enough and got my current truck. I never looked back after getting the CTD. Its a pleasure to pull my trailer now, more power than I could need, plus the fuel economy is not bad towing. I average 11-14 depending on where I'm towing, much better than the 6 or so I would get out of the gasser. They truck is also leveled with 35" tires, so I really wont complain about that fuel economy. While they are more money upfront, if you towing anything with some weight, get the CTD, you wont regret it.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
4e3b9d729c3015a45ce28600505c308d.jpg

I have a 6.4 Hemi with 66RFE 6sp, 4.10s and 4x4. Tradesman, with the Manual Shift Transfer Case.

My trailer is a 2018 OpenRange Light 308BHS. It weighs 8734# Empty and after it’s all said and done it weighs 10,320#. I live in NM, and have climbed some pretty serious grades with this truck. I have never wanted or needed for more power. It works great, and does all I need. I work and commute so I bought a gas because no matter how much I go camping, it’s never more than 10% of my total driving a year. Tongue weight of my trailer is 1425# payload 3690# Max Trailer 15450#

My father-in-law owns the exact same truck except his is the diesel with 68RFE and 3.42 rear end. Also Laramie. Does his truck pull his 5er better, absolutely, can he do 80MPH down the road, sure, but why would you pulling a trailer? Dangerous. His also cost $10k more than mine. He averages only 3 mpg better than me towing. I would need to drive 69k miles to make up the cost difference at current fuel prices. His Paylod 2450# Max Trailer 17280#

1240# more Payload in my truck, but I sacrifice 1830# of trailer weight. I can drive down the road at 70 mph with my truck and trailer and it does just fine, averaging 10.2-13.5 towing. Driving around town/unloaded highway I average 16.5-19.3.

If you put my trailer loaded on his truck you easily eat up more than half his payload. I know his 5er has a pin weight closer to 2000#. So when him and his wife are in the truck he’s very close to maxing payload or over.

If I had a trailer hooked to my truck 5 days a week and it was 10k plus, I would own a diesel, but I use my truck to drive to an from work, and occasionally tow, 2 (MAYBE 3) times a month.

Those are my experiences and my reasons for going Hemi.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So... that price is probably a 6.4 with the 6 speed, and if you go gas I recommend you get the 8 speed, and you can kiss that discount good by for now. That being said how long do you plan to keep the truck?

Are you planing on doing national parks?
Most parks have a “ Size limit” for the trailer due to the parks age, they just weren’t built for big trailers back in the day. Just something to think about.

As with a 5th wheel you run out of pay load really fast, and for that reason a 1 ton may be a viable option for you depending on size of 5th wheel.

If you do go 3/4 ton and 5th wheel, I would go Carli/Thuren with a set of air bags to help off set the load because they are a lighter spring, and this will give you the best ride loaded and un loaded, where as the AEV may give a slightly better ride and will likely still need bags.

The choice between gas a diesel is a tuff one. The exhaust brake on the cumins is a Huge Benefit towing in hilly country. But the choice between 6 speed and 8 speed is a no brainer behind the gas motor.

Is it just you and the wife traveling? Or kids, extended family?

Give us a little more info to better give you opinions.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why don't they put the 8 speed behind the Cummins?

Do you think they will next year?

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
It all comes down to what you can afford. Everthything needs maintenance/repairs at some point. Long term, diesels will have a higher resale value.

I've owned 3 hemi Rams and on my 2nd CTD. Frankly the Hemi just dont have the power I was looking for when towing. Always chasing gears and guzzing fuel..

Could've purchased a loaded laramie gas for what I paid for a stripped down cummins. Probably would've just ponyed up for a laraime cummins or at least a bighorn after upgrading my current truck. My 2cents

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My son is looking for a new or slightly used Cummins. He wants at least a Big Horn package. He uses it for work and drives about 30,000-40,000 miles a year. He won't do much towing but resale on a gasser with that many miles in a few years will be killer and the company pays for his fuel anyway. He can't find anything used with lower miles though (under 20,000)

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Hey all! Thought I would post an update. I really appreciate everyone’s help.

Tomorrow morning I’m going to pick up my new truck. I ended up grabbing a used 2017 2500 Laramie with the Cummins and 37,000 miles on it.

In terms of trailer and build, the wife and I have decided to actually get a slide in camper for the bed with a pop up roof. Still gives me all season capability with heat and air and I can take it off-road for a pretty good price.

Excited to get it tomorrow! Plan on keeping it for many years to come and really glad I went with the diesel for the longevity of the engine.

We shall see how it goes :)

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
My son is looking for a new or slightly used Cummins. He wants at least a Big Horn package. He uses it for work and drives about 30,000-40,000 miles a year. He won't do much towing but resale on a gasser with that many miles in a few years will be killer and the company pays for his fuel anyway. He can't find anything used with lower miles though (under 20,000)

I ended up looking for under 40,000 miles, with the options I wanted. I also did a 400 mile radius to my current location. It took a few weeks and the dealership had to go get it, but it’s here and I go get it tomorrow. Don’t be afraid to haggle the price too as most dealerships will move.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956