Buying 2500 - Need Insight (Cummins vs. Hemi)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Hey all -

I currently have a RAM 1500 but am looking to upgrade to the 2500 to tow a travel trailer or smaller fifth wheel (we have not yet purchased). Our goal is to get the camper out twice per month, at the very least once per month. Otherwise, it is a daily driver. I drive about 50 miles a day, mostly country roads and highway with a small bit of traffic. Most of my driving is in that fashion. We do take trips and plan to take some long range trips as well, a few thousand miles (towing and not towing). Trailer will likely be between 7,000 and 10,000 pounds total. I tend to put about 20 - 25,000 miles per year on the vehicle.

In addition to that, I do like to do off-road or overlanding and take the truck to the terrain parks and to offroad routes, but nothing too technical like the rubicon trail. So the truck will likely see an AEV 3" dualsport lift and 35" tires.

Where my wife and I are having a really hard time is deciding between a Cummins and a 6.4 Hemi with MDS. The gas mileage concerns me a bit with the Hemi. The maintenance costs and potential environmental gear failure concerns me with the Cummins, as well as the increased cost of diesel. However, I can get a 6.4L Hemi Laramie for about $37,000 new right now versus a 5.7L Cummins without leather and the not upgraded radio/dash for about $45,000 - $50,000.

I would really appreciate everyone's insight into your experience and recommendation, especially if you have experience with both.

Last edited:

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all -

I currently have a RAM 1500 but am looking to upgrade to the 2500 to tow a travel trailer or smaller fifth wheel (we have not yet purchased). Our goal is to get the camper out twice per month, at the very least once per month. Otherwise, it is a daily driver. I drive about 50 miles a day, mostly country roads and highway with a small bit of traffic. Most of my driving is in that fashion. We do take trips and plan to take some long range trips as well, a few thousand miles (towing and not towing). Trailer will likely be between 7,000 and 10,000 pounds total.

In addition to that, I do like to do off-road or overlanding and take the truck to the terrain parks and to offroad routes, but nothing too technical like the rubicon trail. So the truck will likely see an AEV 3" dualsport lift and 35" tires.

Where my wife and I are having a really hard time is deciding between a Cummins and a 6.4 Hemi with MDS. The gas mileage concerns me a bit with the Hemi. The maintenance costs and potential environmental gear failure concerns me with the Cummins, as well as the increased cost of diesel. However, I can get a 6.4L Hemi Laramie for about $37,000 new right now versus a 5.7L Cummins without leather and the not upgraded radio/dash for about $45,000 - $50,000.

I would really appreciate everyone's insight into your experience and recommendation, especially if you have experience with both.

I have a 2500 6.4 and I tow a little. 33’ travel trailer and a 28’ travel trailer. 21’ boat and a bobcat. We have property so I only take them to the property in the spring and to storage in the fall.
I will tell you that if you are going to do that much traveling with it, go CTD, you will not regret it. My theory is buy the most truck you can afford as you may start off with a smaller travel trailer and wind up with a larger 5th wheel in the end.
The CTD will outlast the 6.4, it will get better fuel economy and above all it has the torque that you will want. Downside is upfront cost and oil changes are expensive.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with the CTD also. You will use your truck a lot, have a lot of seat time and towing with the CTD is going to be an outright pleasurable experience at all times.

It does suck getting Diesel, harder to find pumps and have to wait for those who use the diesel pumps, even though there are 20 free pumps. Hated that in my CTD! LOL

Keep on top of the fuel filters and your oil changes. Don't worry about the 'potential issues' you think you might have.

I know the price is an topic too for you and your wife. In the long run, the CTD has the best resale value and down the road.. you'll be glad you had it.

Also, level the truck the right way, use Thuren and you will be good for offroad. The ride is improved as well.
there is your 35"

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
I would go with the CTD also. You will use your truck a lot, have a lot of seat time and towing with the CTD is going to be an outright pleasurable experience at all times.

It does suck getting Diesel, harder to find pumps and have to wait for those who use the diesel pumps, even though there are 20 free pumps. Hated that in my CTD! LOL

Keep on top of the fuel filters and your oil changes. Don't worry about the 'potential issues' you think you might have.

I know the price is an topic too for you and your wife. In the long run, the CTD has the best resale value and down the road.. you'll be glad you had it.

Also, level the truck the right way, use Thuren and you will be good for offroad. The ride is improved as well.
there is your 35"

Thuren, not the Carli's? I've heard great things about both! Know anything about the AEV lift? It maintains factory tow ratings I believe which is why I like it. I also LOVE the look of the AEV RAM's and will be using a lot of their stuff.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I would go with the 6.4 8 spd. as it will easily pull 10k, cost less to buy, cost less to maintain, much lighter in the front making for better off road truck. The gasser is also much more responsive and fun to drive making for a nicer daily driver. I have both a gasser and a Cummins and a the 6.4 could replace them both especially with the ZF8.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thuren, not the Carli's? I've heard great things about both! Know anything about the AEV lift? It maintains factory tow ratings I believe which is why I like it. I also LOVE the look of the AEV RAM's and will be using a lot of their stuff.
]

I honestly don't know anything about the AEV stuff.

I've used both Carli and Thuren's stuff. In fact, I know both guys and have wheeled with both guys.

I like Thuren a bit for what you said you want to go with due to the fact that Carli is a mutil-rate spring set up and is a bit stiffer with street manners. You can't go wrong with either one.. just for street ride, Carli was a stiffer for me.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with the 6.4 8 spd. as it will easily pull 10k, cost less to buy, cost less to maintain, much lighter in the front making for better off road truck. The gasser is also much more responsive and fun to drive making for a nicer daily driver. I have both a gasser and a Cummins and a the 6.4 could replace them both especially with the ZF8.

i will agree with the more responsive and fun to dive as a daily. But long trips and towing where he may want to just drive and have a less stressful trip. The pulling and engine braking is something I would rather have if I am towing this much.

Then again, I've never towed with a 6.4.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i will agree with the more responsive and fun to dive as a daily. But long trips and towing where he may want to just drive and have a less stressful trip. The pulling and engine braking is something I would rather have if I am towing this much.

I tow with the 6.4 and I would co CTD with what he wants to do. You’re spot on!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
However, I can get a 6.4L Hemi Laramie for about $37,000 new right now versus a 5.7L Cummins without leather and the not upgraded radio/dash for about $45,000 - $50,000.

New 6.4 Laramie for 37K? That's an amazing price. I just checked Dennis Dillon (dealer in Idaho, great for comparing or buying) and they really seem to be discounting the remaining 2018 gassers. I think they know everyone is going to want the new 8spd for 2019.

Having had diesel and gas trucks and towed many different RVs with them, there is really no silver bullet. It just depends on what you want/need it to do and how much you want to pay. The increased MPG of diesel takes a long time to pay for itself considering the increased purchase price. I currently tow an 11K 5th wheel with a 6.4 Hemi and it's good not great. A diesel would be the right truck but I get by. The new 8spd in the Hemi should be a total game changer. Be careful because the 6spd in the current Hemi pretty much sucks. It's by far the weak link with respect to towing. And I don't mean weak reliability-wise. The gear ratios and shifting behavior just aren't great, especially towing heavy.

My best advice is to really zero in on what trailer you want (or may get someday) and go from there. Also, get REALLY educated on weights - payload, GCWR, etc.). This forum is full of guys who bought a 2500 diesel and can't understand whey they are over their payload rating with a small 5th wheel. The payload of the Hemi is actually about 700# greater than the same Cummins. On the surface it seems to not make sense but once you learn how the game is played it will. If you are going to go with a Cummins I'd definitely get a 3500 rather than a 2500. They are basically the same truck but the 3500 has a much higher payload rating.

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Cummins should last longer than the hemi. But like other's have said it's your decision and thats a heck of a price on the 6.4 hemi.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh and if you decide on 6.4 make sure you get 4:10 gears or you will kick yourself.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I test drove a new 2018 2500 Laramie. Sticker was $62k. They dropped to $53k for me but I walked away. $37k is a heck of a price

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine

Exdeus did not say how far he will pull a trailer just once or twice a month and that sounds like short weekend trips with most driving commuting. If he is going long distances and towing lots of miles the CMT might be best but if not the extra baggage that comes with a diesel would not be worth it to me. As far fuel costs you must keep a diesel a long time or put a lot of miles on towing to be cost effective and make up the small difference at the pump. It really depends on how the truck is used and what you want.

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Exdeus did not say how far he will pull a trailer just once or twice a month and that sounds like short weekend trips with most driving commuting. If he is going long distances and towing lots of miles the CMT might be best but if not the extra baggage that comes with a diesel would not be worth it to me. As far fuel costs you must keep a diesel a long time or put a lot of miles on towing to be cost effective and make up the small difference at the pump. It really depends on how the truck is used and what you want.

Great questions. It will vary. We would like to try and visit all of the national parks over the next several years. My daily drive is 50 miles. To give you an idea, we just did a 3 day trip through Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle and did about 1,100 miles in those 3 days. So some will be close, lots are about an eight to ten hour drive one way.

OP
OP
E

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
The gas does seem like a hell of a deal. They are really closing out the 2018’s. Problem is diesel is still about 7-10k more unfortunately which is out of my spending budget as I’m also buying the RV.

I can get a diesel tradesman with the outdoor package for 42k, or a used 2014 Cummins Laramie for about 47k with 30,000 on it.

I’m leaning towards the diesel, but there just doesn’t seem to be a really great answer and nobody I know has owned a diesel so I don’t have any first hand personal experience with them.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
Great questions. It will vary. We would like to try and visit all of the national parks over the next several years. My daily drive is 50 miles. To give you an idea, we just did a 3 day trip through Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle and did about 1,100 miles in those 3 days. So some will be close, lots are about an eight to ten hour drive one way.
With the 8 speed and 4.10 gears the 6.4 should be a good choice but so would the diesel. I have the 8 speed in a 1500 with 3.55 gears and first gear is very low with a lot of torque and 2 overdrive gears giving good highway performance. I would suggest driving both to understand the difference especially if you are not familiar with diesels.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agree with the others...towing that far, that often, go 3500 ctd and be done.

My 6.4 is great for what I do with it and I have no desire for the ctd. However , towing long distance and anywhere close to 10k, go ctd. Especially if your lifting the truck. Even with 4.10s, the bigger tires will kill the gear ratio. I don't think you'll be happy with the 6.4 in your case.

Just my .02, good luck.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Just a quick related question for a co-worker that's looking for a used 3500 CTD.

Aren't there 2 transmissions options?
What are they?